1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Mod Planning: Passive GTA IV PC (Continues in Project Logs)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by widmod, 30 Dec 2008.

1. widmod

widmod Member

I bought GTA IV on the realease Day and as i thought before i now need a new computer
    I can play the game on my brother quad core with a 8600GT but in low grapics setting and my brother needs his computer for his studies too.
    So i desidet to build a pc in a old compaq case which was housing my first pc computer before (it had a 486 CPU)
    The case it has a nice side door but no removeable motherboard tray and i think i'll replace the whole front with some red plexiglass. The colour theme will be red and black and it will look somehow industrial with passive watercooling and watercooled psu mounted on the top and right sidepannel of the case:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I desided to buy the following hardware
    the only thing i'm not sure about is the memory, cause i know less about memory timings and other performance criteria
    Prices are from 8 of december and may differ now after christmas
    The Parts list:
    Device Product Name Price
    Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe € 265,98
    PSU (watercolled) silentmaxx proSilence Fanless-W 500W ATX 2.0 wakü € 194,90
    Graphics BFG GeForce GTX 280 H²OC, 1024MB (alternate) € 505,95
    Prozessor Intel Core i7-920, 4x 2.67GHz, tray € 299,00
    Harddisk Western Digital Caviar GP 1000GB SATA II (WD10EACS) € 93,86
    Memory Corsair - DDR3 1333MHz 3GB 3x240 DIMM 3x1GB € 98,60
    Total (hardware) € 1.458,29

Cooling will be passive with 4 Cora passive radiators and a resevoir with cooling fins
    a additional 120 radiator wille give some extra cooling while it's passive and also will have a fan for hot days
    I hope i'll find a cheap pump/fan control which starts the fan at a certain water temperature
    i need a inline temperature sensor for that of corse

Watercooling
    Fan Papst 4412 F/2GL – 120mm € 15,90
    Rad Aqua Computer Airplex XT 120 € 29,90
    Pump Laing DDC 12V Pro + plexitop € 74,90
    Cpu Watercool HK CPU LGA1366 Rev. 3 € 62,99
    Rad passive Cape Cora Pro 442 Konvekt schwarz € 79,90
    Res passive XSPC 150mm Passive Aluminium black € 33,99
    Fan/Pump control Yet to be desided €
    Total (watercooling) € 297,58

Both together; € 1.755,87 :worried:

What do you think of that stuff? And which memory (3x1GB DDR3) should i buy? :confused:

Last edited: 10 Aug 2016
  2. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

I would, to be honest, steer clear of the watercooled PSU and just go for something quality by Corsair.
    I would also buy a normal GTX280 and get a waterblock for it separate and install it yourself if possible.
    Just my 2cents

3. widmod

widmod Member

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2009 EVERYBODY

i know about this possibilities
    but I want a dead silent PC so i have the choice between watercooled and passive PSUs
    for the graphics card: this is my first watercooling project and the price difference is not high enough to get the varanty voided on my 400€ graphics card and i still dream of water spilled everywhere on my new hardware
    Ok fine HAPPY NEW YEAR 2009 EVERYBODY :clap:

4. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Get a decent PSU and you can either keep the stock fan, which is usually pretty silent anyway, or replace that with an even more silent fan.
    PSUs barely give off noise so it's not gonna have an impact if the PSU isn't watercooled.

5. widmod

widmod Member

i like this geeky psu
    i would have a psu to mod if i need one so i'll perhaps mount one on the outside of the case without a fan or an emergency fan (brothers PSU burnt once because of overvolting from a house-fuse) so 'll first order the motherboard and memory (which one now?? :eeek:) and the cpu.
    anyone know where to get a northbrige watercooling block (which fits instead of the aluminium fins) for this nice motherboard?
    its a Asus P6T Deluxe
    [​IMG]
    image copyrights by bit-tech
    ^^ motherboard cheescake

EDIT:
    i may use a other PSU instead, because i need a 6pin and a 8pin pcie power connector
    It is modular and heatpipe cooled unless it gets too hot
    should work fine mountet outside the case on the top
    PSU from austrian shop

6. widmod

widmod Member

textual Update :worried:
    Got a rattlecan spraypaint in matblack today and i may grind, make a window and paint tomorow :dremel: cause its a free day for all autrians
    i found the nice bit-tech article over hardware today :lol:
    i may use the memory which is described in it

7. widmod

widmod Member

Sorry for double posting: its a project log now after the first cutting and drilling: GTA PCs Project Log
    goodbye modding forum :geek: