1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mod Project: APHEX

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ErrOnReq, 9 Jun 2004.

1. ErrOnReq

ErrOnReq What's a Dremel?

Ok, well here are some pics of what I have done since the last update with pics.

I had to do some finishing touches on the hard drive cage and mounts. The cage tabs had to be cut to the right size. I also had to grind down, sand and "perfect" the tabs and mounts. I did run into a small problem when testing the drive cage and mounts. When the hard drives are installed and slid into place, a couple of the screws that hold the drives in the cage stick out too far and hit the mounts. This was a simple problem with a simple solution. I just cut out the corners of the mounts. Now there is plenty of room, even if I want to use thumbscrews to secure the drives.

One all the pieces were test-fitted, it was time to drill some holes. Measurements were taken and the mounts and side cooling compartment panels were drilled. I also fit the drive cage sides with the mounts to get those holes drilled out. Finally I had to tap the holes on the mount so thumbscrews could be used to secure the cage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, now that a bunch of the tiny things are done, I was able to test fit the entire compartment and drive cage. Thankfully it all fits! I just stuck some pop-rivets through the holes for a temporary structure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last thing I did was sand down all the different parts to get ready for primer and paint (I cut myself in the process *sad face*). Tuesday, if it isn't too humid due to all this rain, I will hopefully be able to prime everything and get ready for the color coat. Tomorrow, while in between coats of paint and whatnot, I am going to start working with the fiberglass!!! I will just muck around and try to get acquainted with it. I will most definitely have pics of that. Once I have my fun, I should start working on the top of the case.

2. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

Looks soo nice!!
    Cant wait to se the glasfiber work, give me pice as soon as posible :D

3. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

lol @ cat

awwwww;)

Looks a good case tho

4. Bobpa!

Bobpa! What's a Dremel?

Well, you did a nice job with the bending allready dude! I like the HD's setup also the way you are doing it. And I also can't wait to see you do something nice with the plexi glass :D

Good work man! I'm following your project :thumb:

5. ErrOnReq

Well if it isn't my good friend the rain!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

According to the local forecast, we will be spending the next few days together! Since all the work I need to do requires a well ventilated or outside area, and no humidity... it looks as if I am screwed until Thursday or Friday :-(

I will keep you all updated...

6. CT-Petzolinni

CT-Petzolinni What's a Dremel?

damn that weather.
    I hope the weather gets better on thursday.
    So you can continue you project.

nice work so far.
    you mounted the HDD-rack very smooth.

GRTS

7. ErrOnReq

I hope it gets better later today! I don't want to wait :miffed:

I really want to work with the fiberglass soon though, as the rest of my project depends on my ability to use it well.

For the hard drive rack mounts, I think I will use some of Duplicolor's truck bed coating stuff. Hopefully it will protect from scratches when installing and removing the hard drive cage.

From Duplicolor's website:

"Dupli-Color® Aerosol Truck Bed Coating

This product is formulated to provide spray-on protection for truck beds, inner fenders, tailgates, bedrails, cargo vans, push bars, metal floors, trailer beds, step areas and running boards. Also ideal for other areas where a non-skid, protective coating is desired.

Abrasion resistant
    Easy-to-apply
    Sprayable
    Quick drying times
    Durable, non-skid surface
    Improves vehicle appearance"

8. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

this is soooo far off topic, that it's on topic... are those... DEAR?

9. ErrOnReq

Yes, those are DEER :p

This place is full of em. Every year, at least 2 or 3 babies are born in my back yard.

10. robotguy9000

robotguy9000 What's a Dremel?

haha, i live in az, it hasnt rained for the past decade :D

11. BLaZEjjp

BLaZEjjp What's a Dremel?

Im sorry, maybe because I live in wisconsin, that pictures strikes me as odd. Are those deer always around, do they scatter when cars come, or are they pretty relaxed in your front yard? :rolleyes:

Your picture quality are really nice btw, what kind of camera do you use?

12. robotguy9000

haha, he made them out of b:lol:ndo

13. ErrOnReq

The deer are always there. They look at the cars as the drive past... They don't really run away unless you honk at them.

My cam is a Canon Powershot A80.

14. robotguy9000

take a deer and mod it :dremel:

15. ErrOnReq

WHAT?! Who have you spoken to? What have you seen?

Oh... hah! AHhaha... yeah... you were kidding... HAHHA That's funny! JOKE, YA! HAH...

*pulls carcasses out of giant freezer, detaches metal and electrical components, puts in back of car and speeds away*

16. robotguy9000

*alerts insane asylum, PETA, shoots deer and starts modding it*

17. ErrOnReq

Ok, well it is nearing the end of Thursday. Today was finally clear skies and dry air. I was able to do some painting today. The hard drive cage was primed and color coated. In a day or so I will clear coat it (Same with the drive cage mounts). I did buy some DupliColor spatter paint and truck bed paint to see what kinds of textures I could get. The spatter paint was a bit too thick and bumpy for my needs, but the truck bed paint stuff was perfect! It has a small texture too it, much like a truck bed! Whoda thunk it?! After painting a piece of scrap metal with the truck bed paint, I found that it is extreeeemely durable and highly resistant to scratches. Because of this, I will be using it on the tabs of the drive cage and the mounts. That way, when inserting and removing the drive, no paint will get scratched off on accident.

I haven’t painted the rest of the cooling compartment yet because I still have some work to do on it. I need to make some holes where the PSU lines will go out and the IDE/SATA lines will go in. I have been planning it out today and tomorrow I might be able to work on that. Tomorrow I will also hopefully work with the fiberglass and see how that comes out. I may be slow, but I want this to be perfect. Thanks for not bitching and keep the comments coming :)

18. ErrOnReq

Ok, well today I am working on the fiberglass! YAY! I did a single layer on a test piece. If it comes out well I will be able to use it in the mod, so I have my hopes. Fiberglass is a little different than I thought it would be. ALOT more mess and it is pretty hard to get around corners. I have to cut out pieces that will meet at the corners rather than a single piece that bends around. I have taken some pics and will post them later today after I do some more layers and dremeling I hope!

19. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

We want pics! We wants pics! :D

20. ErrOnReq

Making and about to eat dinner. Pics will come right afterward! I WILL EAT AS FAST AS I CAN!!!

:D