1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Modded BIOS on reference 780 (blower cooler).

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yadda, 22 Apr 2017.

1. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I've run into my 780's power limit so I've been looking into custom BIOSes, particularly Skyn3t's BIOS.

Now, I'm aware that things can get pretty extreme with these BIOSes, and it's where big PSUs, full cover waterblocks and the higher tier variants of 780 (such as "Classifieds") start earning their crust with their improved power phases & VRM's...

...but I don't want to break any world records. I'd just like to like to see how far the card will go at around 1.2v without the power limit holding it back.

Has anyone had a play?

Last edited: 22 Apr 2017
  2. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

At 1.2 you will probably hit a wall at 1300. On my classifieds they will do 1325ish at 1.2v they will do a lot more but I have to start pumping a lot of volts through them.

3. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Thanks, did you use a modded BIOS? Do you think it's safe to try with a reference card & stock cooler? (GPU temp reaches about 60C with the overclock in my sig, no idea about VRM temp though.)

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Yadda - if you fancy getting your card wet *ahem*, I've got a Titan block that I'd let go for cheaps to a fellow man-of-the-leek, and it would start you with a new addiction. Let me know if you fancy it.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

*chants* do it do it do it :D

6. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Think I've got the skynet v3 bios on both cards at the minute. Couldn't tell if how your cards would react due to mine being on water and also having a lot more phases so I can put a lot more than 1.3v through mine if need be

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

G, I have an NZXT G10 and an Antec Kuhler 620 120mm AIO, if you don't fancy going "full wet".

Although I'd heartily recommend going for a full cover block and custom loop, if you fancy pushing a card to it's limits - you learn a lot, but remember that you're in it for the science (so to speak), because it isn't exactly the most cost effective solution. The price of the bits plus the sale value of your card will buy a lot more performance than you will achieve through watercooling your 780. Still, that's not why we do it.

8. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Thanks for the offers, Jinq and David. I must say it's very tempting but after some thought I think I'll keep this card as it is and save GPU water-cooling for another time. Cheers.