1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Modder creates 90TB plywood server

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 21 Oct 2010.

1. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

Ply wood?!
    Watch it go up in to flames!
    Seriously!

2. borandi

borandi New Member

Google RAID 5.

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

That's a common misconception, wood doesn't ignite until around 275C well below a computers operating temp.

Teh internet..........................all of it

4. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 New Member

Considering he's using WD Green drives.. most likely not that much.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aye - they reported it wrong in the link, it's 90TB as in our article.

6. Dreamslacker

Dreamslacker New Member

The link says that "he combined hard disks to get a 70TB storage". Most likely, he's got 96TB worth of drives but only 70TB usable after deducting what is required for the OS and parity.

What is more interesting to note is that he's got all the drives on a single computer and it isn't the board with the Intel PT Dual port NIC!

The drives seem to be split amongst 5 HPT controllers. I don't recall the HPTs being able to create an array across controllers like the LSI/ Adaptecs so we may assume that there are 5 x R5 arrays in the setup.

Give 3 drives for the 2 systems to be used for OS and apps (single drive & a RAID 1), that leaves 5 x 9 drive arrays. Or about 80TB of redundant storage.
    Scale that by the difference between decimal and binary (Manufacturers rate drives in decimal) and you get: 80,000,000,000,000 / (1024^4) = 72.75TB of actual volumes. Take away the MFT and other file system reserved space and you do indeed get about 70TB of actual usable storage.

7. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Why not?
    Wood is a great material for a case.
    Noise dampening in wood is great. :thumb:
    Downsides: no heat radiation, and no EM-shielding.

I've made one out of an old Fireworks-box (due to the nice "Explosive" sign on the front):D and it was very silent.

8. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Come at me bro

all that storage and no friends D:

9. lacuna

lacuna Member

and seeding everything!

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nup - the guy has 90TB of usable space spread across several logical volumes. He's posted a system report from the OS. I don't know where the 70TB figure came from - the Russian sites are saying 90TB (which is right) but most English reports are saying 70TB (which is wrong.)

EDIT: Here's the system report from the OS. It reports the total usable storage space as 91423GB, or around 90TB. As I say, I don't know where this figure of 70TB has come from.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2010
  11. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Did i just read that system report to have "only" 10tb of free space?

What happened to the rest of it?? What the **** is he storing? :jawdrop:

12. Picarro

Picarro New Member

It's Mankz Russian cousin.

13. kzinti1

kzinti1 New Member

What he said.

14. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

If anyone ever wondered exactly where their "trial" copies of Windows and Photoshop were hosted, now you know.

15. whiskers

whiskers New Member

Last time I checked, my 3yo drives eat up about 7W each, so 45x7 = 315 watts just to keep them spinning. More for spin-up. I don't have the exact wattage for spin-up, but I imagine the lights in this guy's house dim every time he turns this beast on.

/6 drives in my machine, ranging from 250Gb to 750Gb
    // could replace them all with 2x2Tb drives... but can't justify getting rid of the small-capacity drives.

16. Dreamslacker

Dreamslacker New Member

Ah.. That explains it. Well... I reckon the project was picked up earlier on by one or two english sources where he was, according to them, still experimenting with RAID 50 and such.
    Perhaps the 70TB figure was an initial targeted usable space during that time? It goes to follow that any English site would then pick-up this info from the initial sites rather than the russian sites and the effect snowballs.

90TB seems like an awful lot to be storing videos though. I've personally met one fella whose goal was practically to become a movie archive (doesn't watch them all, just downloads and keeps them for fun). He buys 50 reams of 100 pack DVDs at a go but has since stopped after I told him to go for HDD storage instead since even the Dataplus from Verbatim has a halflife of 3 - 4 years at best. Now we're just waiting to convert an entire wardrobe into a hdd storage unit.

Edit: Seems like they cleared it up. The initial english source edited the title to state 90TB now.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2010
  17. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

Actually, the drives he is using only uses 6,8 watt in heavy load so that would be 326,4 watt, about the same as a reasonably powerful PC. But since he is using it for storage (and probably won't share from all the drives constantly) some would stay in idle, at which they only use 5,2 watt each.

Also I wouldn't really call the dude a modder for putting five planks of wood together. A real modder would make something like this

18. Snaver

Snaver What is a dremel..

Isn't that a fire hazard O_O

19. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Gives credit where its due

eh my motherboard only has like 6-7 hd lead slots, does he have super motherboard?

20. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil New Member

"The system is built around a pair of motherboards that provide connectivity to the SATA-connected hard drives while allowing client systems to connect over the network in order to access the prodigious amount of storage on offer. The system runs Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise and includes a wide array of RocketRAID hardware SATA controllers to connect the drives."

Reading the words is advisable, along with looking at the pretty pictures... ;)

Tags: Add Tags