1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding a 48 port switch *Many, Many pictures*

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ryodoan, 27 Nov 2006.

1. ryodoan

ryodoan New Member

A friend and I always end up organizing LAN parties for fun, one problem we had though was that it was a pain figuring out the system of routers and switches for even 14 people when each switch/router only has around 4-6 ports. Also this came about because we just wanted one, hehe.

But in any case we bought a 48 port Enterasys 10/100 switch off ebay. Apparently at some point it had been dropped which broke a fan and put a dent in the side, also something was only causing it to run at 10 mbs. So we got it for $60 shipped, you can buy this switch new for $2000 (Or so I am told).

After spending some time on the phone with Enterasys tech support my friend fixed the firmware and updated it which fixed the 10 mbs problem, so now its fully 10/100. Then we ordered some new fans for it. While we were looking at how to install the fan we were really noticing how badly scratched and chipped the paint was on it and thought it could be fun to mod the switch.

The rest as you will soon see, is history.

Unfortunately we kinda forgot to take a "before" picture, be we can hope right into the modding

Here is the unit just after sand blasting:
    [​IMG]

The top panel masked off with the window pattern drawn on after I have begun to cut it out:
    [​IMG]

Tada! the completely cut out window:
    [​IMG]

If you look at the top-left corner of my cut, you can see I had a goof, I started to cut the corner to wide, luckily it was not a deep cut and I delt with it later.

While I was cutting out the window, my friend was working on wiring up the interior case lighting. The switch power supply doesn't provide 12v, so we had to base everything off of 5v.

The power supply:
    [​IMG]

After adding in a molex connector:
    [​IMG]

Him soldering in the LED's
    [​IMG]

One completed strand:
    [​IMG]

The base of the unit with its first coat of primer:
    [​IMG]

The back of the front-panel with its first coat of primer (yeah I forgot about that goof up with the cut before I primed both sides of it)
    [​IMG]

Right about now is when I realized that I had primed the door without filling in the cut. So I wire brushed off the paint over the cut, and filled it with a bondo like substance.
    [​IMG]

After sanding the bondo down, and two more coats of primer it was ready for its final color:
    [​IMG]

Here is the case after its final coat:
    [​IMG]

And my camera doesnt do the paint job justice, it looks much better in person, I think the best picture I got of the paint came when I was doing test paint jobs with a piece of scrap metal:
    [​IMG]

In that picture you can see that it is a deep red, but also has a nice shine to it.

After applying a clear coat and letting it set for a day or so, I cut the acrylic to the final size (used a scroll saw w/ masking tape over the lines works EXCELLENT, the masking tape seems to lubricate the blade and it doesn't melt back together behind the blade)
    [​IMG]

And here are a couple finished pictures of everything back together in the case:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And even after all this we are still not completely finished with it. It still needs something for the front of the case to cover up the expansion slots we will not be using (at $300 a pop, we could never afford it), and we also are thinking about somehow incorporating an off the shelf wireless router into it somehow, but have not decided quite yet how that is going to be done.

2. Phat Ass

Phat Ass New Member

Regarding expension slots, you could put a dsl/cable router in one of them, and a wireless AP in the other. Perhaps put on at each side with the wires on the inside, just the leds at the front, then put an ext. arieal on the wireless AP.

In the centre on you could put a fan controller to try and keep the noise down on the switch. Alternatly you could use the center to store and mount an ext. aerial for the AP. I had a 3com superstack 2 for my LAN once and they were noisey and created a huge draft over the desk, which was annoying when it was next to me. I put a zalman fan mate on one of the three fans and stopped the other two then put temp sensors inside (one PSU, one middle of the chipsets) to make sure it didnt over heat and found a happy medium for it to run at.

Otherwise, good work! :) Ive got all my gear in a rack so wouldnt be worth doing much with. Not bad for $60, ebays the friend of the techie who wants random kit :)

3. liquidhot

liquidhot New Member

Good job! That looks pretty good! :D

Sorry I didn't make it to the LAN party. Makes me miss living at The Rock. Sykes told me about the switch.

4. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

This is actually the first time I've ever seen someone mod a switch. :eek: Looking very nice so far!

5. ryodoan

ryodoan New Member

We had talked about a fan controller, but really the new fans are pretty quiet.

One thing we need to look into that I kinda forgot to check is how large the bays are. If they are a standard size (like 3.5 or something) that would be really nice, but I kinda doubt it.

In any case we have ordered a netgear rangemax wireless router to put in there and are currently trying to figure out how we can get 12v to it without running another power cord to the switch.

This does raise an interesting question. The power supplies in the switch (yeah, there are two redundant power supplies) only supply ground and 5v, yet the three fans all run on 12v (we checked with a multimeter). Any idea how that is possible? Well, I suppose that is the wrong question, I kinda figure its possible because they have a transformer or something to upconvert the voltage, any idea how we could somehow replicate this? Or would it be easiest to splice into the 120v that comes in and rig up an internal plug for the routers AC adapter?

In any case there is a ton of room in the router for expansion so either solution would fit, just I think the transformer would be a more elegant solution. The friend that I am working on this with is an Electric Engineer major in his third year and knows more about this kinda stuff than I do. I probably should talk to him first and see what he thinks.

<Edit> FF 2.0 spell check and some grammar changes...

6. CodeRed

CodeRed New Member

What made you choose the colour red?

7. ryodoan

ryodoan New Member

Well, a couple of things.

The group is called LANslide Gaming, so while we were brainstorming colors it got suggested that we do something like warning sign colors, bright yellow with red lines or something. I was unsure how that would look and wanted a more muted, less garish color scheme. So we went to the store to buy paint still undecided and after standing there for about 5 minutes we still couldnt really decide for sure, so in a compromise we bought an Anodized Red spray paint that my friend really liked.

I had used the Anodized Blue on a previous case so I knew it would be semi transparent and the color of the primer would greatly influence the final color. We had gotten a large can of "Red" primer for free and I did a test piece to see how the primer would work with the paint and to get a feel for how the paint went on.

The "Red" primer turned out to be more like a brown, but I really liked the final color when the Anodized Red went on over it. I showed it to my friend and he really liked it so we decided to do the case in that color.

My camera really doesn't do the case justice, it is a really deep but highly reflective and wet colored red that I think looks really nice. The only problem so far is that it is a finger print magnet.

8. m0ng0lh0rde

m0ng0lh0rde New Member

As for pulling power for a router modded into the case, you should be able to just solder some moderately heavy wire (say 14-12 AWG) to the existing AC jack, then to the power connector for the router. If the router uses a wall wart power supply, you'll probably either need to rip the wall wart apart, or find an AC-DC converter, which can also step the voltage down to whatever the router uses.

BTW, the wire gauges are US gauges, not sure if they'd be the same elsewhere.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge should help with converting....

9. ryodoan

ryodoan New Member

Yeah, I just got off messenger with my friend and we were thinking that we might be able to remove the redundant power supply that is currently in there and put a micro atx power supply in its place, running the power for it from the current 120v jack.

However, that is a bit ambitious and if we decide its to much work, or cant find a spare micro atx power supply in our compendium of random spare parts we will probably revert to putting the wall wart in the case and tapping into the current 120v inside the case.

10. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

11. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

re: extra bays: maybe drop in a NAS hard drive

(or a nano-itx mobo & call it a case mod :D )

12. Blauvster

Blauvster New Member

Modules Sizes

The modules are approximately 4.75"x1.375", not really any standard but we can make some covers out of scrap metal and mount any 3.5” fan controller or other 3.5” device in them. I was thinking we could mount five rj45 jacks along with a toggle switch(for I/O on the MIMO Router) into a piece of modded metal and then mount that in one of the bays. This would allow us to place the router anywhere in the case instead of having to deal with it in the bay. As for the switches power I can see if I and some other EE majors can figure out a simple schematic to use some op-amps to make a DC-DC step up transformer. And then snag, I mean legally purchase, the parts from school. Shouldn’t be too hard and then we won’t be stuck with a large ugly AC-DC transformer, should be more power efficient as well, but like that really matters.

I agree with Tyinsar it would be nice to have a networked HD readily available, if only we had the money :sigh:

Oh yeah I'm the friend Ryodoan keeps mentioning

13. Tyinsar

1. Welcome to the forums :thumb:

2. A simple 3.5" HD to NAS adapter isn't that expensive anymore (then again, it's been a while since I was a student and HDs aren't free either)

cool (I woulda used da smiley but he's smokin', which ain't cool)

14. ryodoan

ryodoan New Member

That would be really interesting to get one of those NAS to 3.5 adaptors, I will have to look into it.

Would make the sharing of game updates much easier, currently we have them burned to DvD's so if people needs updates they can grab them but putting it all on a shared storage would be awesome.

As for hard drives, I have them coming out the wazoo. I have this problem with buying computer mice and finding hard drives.... (6+ mice for 2 computers, and 3 spare hard drives at the moment)

15. Tyinsar

When I said "adapter" (poor choice of words - my fault) I was actually thinking along the lines of dismantling one of these:(link)

But then again this might be even better.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2006
  16. ryodoan

ryodoan New Member

I understood what you meant by adaptor, found one for $39, but I think that will have to wait.

In other news the rangemax router arrived, and apparently its rather large, here is a size comparison with a 108 mbs router.

[​IMG]

I think it will still fit in the switch case, all of this is currently over at Blauvsters place so I am gonna need to make a trip there and see what we can do.

*edit* When I first made this post, I figured it was going to be a completely finished mod with no updates, however this looks like it is turning into a worklog, Could a mod please move it to the worklog forum? Thanks.

17. Tyinsar

cool