1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding an Acer Aspire L320

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MrP, 22 Jul 2011.

1. MrP

MrP seeking inspiration

Hi,

i've just got my hands on a bust Acer Aspire L320, and rather than just throw it in the bin, i thought i would have a go at putting it to good use (mainly because its a nice looking case to shove under the TV as a little HTPC)

[​IMG]

by my rough (and i do mean rough) measurements, a mini-itx board should fit in, although i havent got a real board to stick in at the mo.

as the case is rather thin and the current mounting points probably wont match a standard ITX board, whats the best route to customer mounting a board. i had thought of using the plastic board mounts you can that stick down with a sticky pad, but that seems rather too much of a botch job for my liking, but i cant think of a better way to do it.

i know the back will need the attention of a dremel to make way for a normal sized IO plate, and i'm hoping that i can butcher the current IO panel at the front to keep some of its functionality, as well as use the current DVD drive to ease the work.

Any other hints or tips on how i should go about this, the mounts are my main worry.

I'd rather have a bit of knowledge so i can avoid any potential pit falls before and hopefully end up with a nice compact unit that could replace my shuttle.

2. rieh

rieh What's a Dremel?

Oh My God.

Okay. Tip about modding this one:

I used to have this exact PC. It was always overheating; the northbridge blew 3 times, about a year apart, and with good reason: The only fan in the case was actually smaller than the heatsink for the processor... and the northbridge heatsink had no air movement at all (because the fins were 90 degrees to the other sink, and the fan wouldn't have been able to pull air through it). So. Definitely cut more ventholes. Add more fans than just the one 2.5-inch one it comes with. I think it uses either a M-ATX board, or a netbook/small-laptop-type board.

For mounting the board: I suggest you drill holes in the metal plate that are the same size as your screws, where you want the screws to go. Screw 'em in, and if there's too much excess sticking out, use your dremel to trim them to length. Don't drill through the plastic cover unless you have to; if you do, I suggest you decorate the outside with a pleasing pattern to hide the screws. :D

Good luck. For the love of decency, don't run games on that rig until you do something about the cooling, or it'll overheat itself. It won't happen the first time, or the second time, but after a few months... Not fun.

Actually, I think I have the case somewhere still... Time to break out the dremel :D

3. MrP

MrP seeking inspiration

the plan on cooling was to cut a 80mm or so hole with the fan on the inside, and some sort of mesh to make the hole a bit more pleasing to the eye for the main cooling (the ultimate aim is for a decent spec box core i3 or something)

i was also thinking about putting some sort of crossflow fan or similar at one end to keep some air moving through the case.

4. MrP

MrP seeking inspiration

hmm, ripped it to bits, and got the back plate out. The board does fit(!), however the heatsink and Ram are too tall to allow the DVD drive to fit in.

so, diskless, or low profile ram and hack the heatsink to shreads.

BTW, for the moment it has this going in it, so i dont think i have to be too worried about much heat if i butcher the heatsink.

however, if i ever put another board in, then heat will be more of a worry,and without buying some, i'm not sure if low profile memory (19mm rather them 31mm) will actually clear the DVD drive.

5. MrP

MrP seeking inspiration

Thanks to someones post about shoving their graphics card in the oven to sort a fault on it, i managed to get the original hardware in this up and running.

so, should i leave this as it is and flog it, or do i rip it to bits for a second time and ave another go at putting an itx board in it?

6. WeiKai

WeiKai What's a Dremel?

baking mobo

hi can you list the steps you took to get your mobo working by heating in the oven. Have heard of people doing this before, and as its dead anyway at the moment, am willing to give it a go. Even a link to the article in question. I know its been awhile since your last post on this topic, but am holding out hop of a reply. Thank You.