1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding idea

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DexBia, 17 May 2022.

1. DexBia

DexBia What's a Dremel?

Hello guys, I'm almost in the last year of the TGEI course - Technician of Management (and Maintenance of) Computer Equipment and to finish the course I need to take a Pap - Professional Aptitude Test. At Pap I will have to create a project of my own (if possible innovative) and then present it to the school and to the judges.

Well...I've thought of many ideas but I never find something that I think is worthwhile. In this course I taught very little programming (Arduino Basics and VisualBasic with Acces, nooo, I don't want to make a website or database management ), but I explored a lot of equipment maintenance and some electronics things. To feel motivated for Pap, I would like to do something with vehicles (I intend to go into Automotive Engineering) and also IT. And for that I started by thinking something about helmets/vests for the motorcycle and its safety the problem is that there is already a little bit of everything. So I came up with my last idea at the moment, a computer inside a motorcycle frame

I think it's already been done but I can't find anything about it. My idea was to reuse a damaged or no longer used motorcycle and use the front part (handlebars, front tire, tank, frame where the engine and radiator are integrated and maybe the seat
    Now in more detail..

• The idea was to use the handlebars to put some buttons (I still don't know for what function) and a button to turn on the pc (if I could turn it on with a key, it was great). I also thought of putting a small LCD with the temperature information (or even a speedometer )
    • I wanted to use the motorcycle's tank to serve as a reservoir for liquid cooling
    • Reuse a car radiator for the same, if possible, otherwise I will have to use a normal radiator
    • At the engine location was where the computer was, I still don't know how I would distribute the components
    • Finally I thought about leaving the bank to give that "scenery"
    The idea of this project was to be a functional computer and at the same time for exhibition. And I would end up deepening my knowledge with liquid cooling and having the challenge of working with a motorcycle frame and computer components.

I welcome suggestions and constructive criticism I welcome suggestions on what type of frame to buy, how to distribute the components, ideas for the handlebars, etc... There is so much I can improve with your help. Thank you

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Mini Moto Mayhem by Asouter! Sadly a lot of the image links are broken, but there a vid on youtube

If you use a car/bike radiator, they are usually aluminium, but pc watercooling components are brass, copper and nickel which don't play nice with the aluminium. So, either find aluminium fittings and blocks (eBay and Ali express etc are good for this), or prepare for it to be a short lived thing.

3. DexBia

DexBia What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the video, I tried to read a little about the project created by this gentleman and it seemed quite interesting. I also found some videos of the motorcycle tank and I loved the idea.
    I sent him a message to see if he could help me by showing some pictures or sketches, I hope he gets in touch with me :D

As for radiators, I don't know much because in my life I only mounted 1 water-cooler and it was very simple. So if I really wanted to use a motorcycle/car radiator the risk of life would be short, right? But is there a way to prevent this? For example not using the original radiator tubes and attaching the right ones for cooling?

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I would suggest getting a Mini Moto as Crapman suggested above - even a kid's motorcycle will be much too big, and an adult bike would dwarf a normal desk, never mind PC case.

e.g. One of these would work nicely: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275310442353

You want something where the frame splits into two rails and runs up the front of the engine, but the engine isn't a stressed member. That way you can take it out, replace with a PC, and still have a motorcycle that'll sit on a side-stand or (even cooler) a mini rear paddock stand.

Most 50cc motos are air-cooled, but having the twin tubes of the frame running up the front will give you a perfect spot to mount a PC WC radiator, and it'll look more like a "proper" bike that way too.

If you can weld you could, of course, make a frame to sort that problem if you find an open-fronted bike. You could also put it into a faired bike, maybe even leave one side of the fairing off so it can be inspected.

One last thing, be *very* careful with the fuel tank if you're re-using it for another purpose. Fetch it off the bike, get the old fuel syphoned into a can, and then fill it completely to the brim with water while outside. Petrol vapour on a near-empty tank can be incredibly dangerous, the most dangerous time is the fumes from an emptied tank. Remember - stoichiometric fuel mix is 14:1 air : petrol, and it'll ignite at much lower ratios than that, so it hardly takes any petrol vapour to make a bomb.

Impatience likes this.
  5. DexBia

DexBia What's a Dremel?

Yes, I might opt for a mini bike, but I was thinking of a sporty one. What do you think? Suggestions for some model are accepted.

Thanks for the tips on how to clean the tank, it's noted. On the handlebars I would like to modify it, put some buttons for the user to use. I remembered one of them being used to see the temperatures (I will have an lcd panel on the front) the user can choose to see both temperatures (cpu and gpu) or just one. I will post some sketches later to share my idea.

6. Krikkit

One like this would be cool with the main fairing split in half - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234547861696

One side to look like an un-modded moto, the other with a PC on show etc.

You could make a dash pod to look like a "proper" bike to house the LCD for temps etc, then add the bar switches etc for control.

Arboreal likes this.
  7. DexBia

DexBia What's a Dremel?

What a brilliant idea, I hadn't thought of it that way. Yes I was thinking of doing something like that because of the lcd.

To stabilize the bike I thought of creating a "homemade" easel so the user can take the pc to another room in the house if he wants.
    I also thought about putting a speaker in the engine exhaust, I don't know if there is a way for the pc to reproduce a sound that we choose when it turns on, but if it did it would be funny.

8. Krikkit

You could have the start button fire up a small sound played through the "exhaust" speaker - you'd need to set it so it just pulses, then adjust the pulse rate to sound like it's revving, let the exhaust do the work of shaping it into sound. Something like this youtube channel does to replicate the firing orders of various engines: https://www.youtube.com/c/WilliamMoser/videos

For the stand, I'd go for making (or having made) a small paddock stand, that way you can wheel it about, stand it safely upright, and have it look like a "proper" bike: https://www.twowheel.co.uk/suzuki-rear-paddock-stand.html