1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding the front USB on my Corsair 900D case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by monty-pup, 22 Dec 2020.

1. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

I spent a small fortune on my 900D case and I’ve been incredibly happy with it. But, I will be upgrading my rig in the next few months and I want to keep the case, while bringing it up to date.

by that I mean I want to remove the front 4x USB2.0 type A slots and replace with 3 or 4 USB3.1 type C slots. That would also leave me with 2x front USB3.0 type A slots.

I have never modded anything before, but I’m willing to give it a go.

can anyone advise where I should start - how hard could it be to remove the existing USBs and put in the newer types? I’m guessing, unless my new motherboard will feed the USB-Cs then I’ll have to add a PCIe card with cables reaching to the front IO ...

Has anyone done similar to their cases?

2. miculago

miculago What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    I plan to do something similar and have no experience on this topic so far. I think it is more or less ripping the old i/o out and installing the new one, including connecting the cables to the respective ports on the motherboard.

Maybe you can help me out with my problem. Do you know a supplier for these i/o boards with USB ports? I have no idea where to buy these parts.

Best regards

monty-pup likes this.
  3. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

Hi.
    I have not modded the case for two reasons. 1) I probably won’t be upgrading my motherboard for a few more months yet due to the supply issues of most bits I want. 2) I realised there were no off-the-shelf solutions provided by Corsair or 3rd parties. So I would have to try and do it myself and I have no idea where to start with that.

I am still interested in doing it though. I hate the idea that case manufacturers are tying us in to buying ever increasingly more expensive cases, when all I want is a new front panel with the latest USB ports.

I’ll update the thread if I do it and how much work it is. But can I ask you do the same if you do it before me?

Cheers

4. miculago

miculago What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your reply. You gave me confidence that he issue is not on my side. It is really hard to find these higher grade front panel at all.
    I will keep you informed as I have something new on this topic ;)