1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Modem/Router/Access Point recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TeenGeek, 18 Feb 2015.

1. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

Hi there everyone,
    My family is currently a customer of Comcast. It's terrible, but it's the best we've got here. We have the standard router/modem combo that gets rented to new customers at the moment, and it's terrible. The router is in the pantry on the main floor, and my computer is in the basement, about 40 feet away, and through the floor, and several walls.
    The house has no LAN wiring anywhere, and my mom isn't willing to let me put holes in walls, to run some lines on the outside of the house, nor will she let me run anything on the ground, unless the wire runs around the perimeter of the house. I would love to do that, but the stairs are in the middle of the house, so that's impossible.
    I could set up a range extender on the main floor and put it right above where my computer is, if that's the best way to go about it.
    I would like to replace the rented modem/router combo unit regardless, so if anyone could suggest specific hardware that I could use to get all of this set up, that would be awesome. I do like to game online, so something that won't introduce a bunch of lag would be preferred.
    The whole house is wired with COAX, so I could, in theory, set up a second wireless network in the house, but I don't know if Comcast would allow that.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

2. nimbu

nimbu Well-Known Member

Have you considered some powerline adapters?

http://www.newegg.com/Powerline-Net...p=Cat_Wired-Networking_4-_-VisNav-_-Powerline

I have three in my house as we plan to refurbish and run cables later, so using some for now. The ones I have are Netgear (cant remember the model), they work pretty well.

My server upstairs has no problems accessing the internet at full speeds (150Mb) and the modem is on the ground floor, though I have never checked the latency from upstairs to be fair as I game downstairs.

TeenGeek likes this.
  3. TeenGeek

Thanks for the idea! I remember seeing something about them a long time ago, but I had since forgotten about them. That should be just what I need!

4. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 It was funny when I was 12

If your basement is unfinished or at least has a drop ceiling, running wires up to the main floor is easier than you'd expect and you can do it in a manner that looks completely professional. I can give you a few tips if you'd like to give it a go.

5. TeenGeek

Thanks for the suggestion, I would, but the entire basement is finished, even into the garage, unfortunately