1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Modified Windows 7 With USB 3.0 ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by gtiboy, 15 Apr 2016.

1. gtiboy

gtiboy Minimodder

Hi all, Does anyone know how to modify the Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit installation Cd to include the latest USB 3.0 drivers?

2. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

I tried it bud, it's an absolute pain in the arse. I also never managed to get it to work. In the end I gave up and installed windows 8.1. Sorry I can't be any more help then that.

3. gtiboy

gtiboy Minimodder

Is there problems with installing USB 3.0 drivers in Windows 7 itself on the Z170 platform?

As i've come across this information....... By default the Z170 chipset and BIOS will not support full USB 2.0 enhanced host controller (EHCI) mode. That means for a number of circumstances USB devices will not work unless an XHCI environment is in play"

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

You can use DISM if you're happy to use the CLI, if not you could use one of the many GUI's that do the same but without all the typing, I've used WinToolKit version 1 in the past.

EDIT: Forgot to mention if you want the driver to be available during the initial boot phase (like you have to do with some SATA drivers) then you'd need to add the driver to the "boot.wim"

Last edited: 15 Apr 2016
  5. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

I injected the drivers in to the boot.wim but still failed.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

7. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Can you not boot from a USB2 port? (most motherboards have a couple for legacy reasons) and then just install the drivers once windows has installed? or just install a modern OS?

8. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

By far the simplest way is to drop the Windows 7 install.wim into a Windows 10 install USB. Assuming the question is one of getting it to boot from USB3.

If you want the drivers to already be installed once the image is deployed the best way I've found really is to use audit mode and sysprep.