1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MODS PLEASE LOCK - MOVED TO NEW FORUM :D!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Starbuck3733T, 2 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Very nice. I am taking some notes down. :worried:

2. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

WOw, have to say it, I'm steallin your idea for the buttons to use as feet lol (but not buttons. ya dig? :hip:

3. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

As am I, but not for this project. *tips hat*

Fine by me, a little "this was inspired by" wouldn't hurt :) So the plan for the feet is to use acrylic rod? or the indentations for rubber footies?

4. imgregrice

imgregrice What's a Dremel?

I love what you have done here and I am glad someone shares my love for large cases. I would love to get some insite/feedback on my project. links in the sig. im having trouble comming up with what I want to do as far as side windows go. and you seem to be pretty good at lighitng set ups .

I do have a question about heating the penny so you can solder to it have any tips on that how long to heat and such ? how did you apply the solder and such

5. Starbuck3733T

One, I hit your site. Nice work. really like this chick, she's gorgeous and the photo does a damn good job of conveying it.

As far as the pennies go its really a dumby's job.. hit it until you see it start to get 'brighter' in copper color, then touch the solder too it and let it melt into a pool. get your wire out, hit it again so the solder is liquid, and plunge the wire into it (wire bent at a 90* angle). If need be, hold wire in hot solder WITH A SCREW DRIVER NOT YOUR FINGER! (I didn't make that mistake! so no :duh: for me)

6. angelorus2000

angelorus2000 What's a Dremel?

Very cool :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
    The touch keys are profesional :clap:

mod on :rock: :rock:

7. Starbuck3733T

Will do!

:idea: just realized there's a sheet metal fabrication/shop about 5 minutes from my house :idea:

8. Starbuck3733T

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1115/ is something I remembered from way back. My voltages are a little wiggly and that's something I probably need to fix to get any higher in my oc. I may build one of these for my IC7, but not using the water chamber design... just a copper pipe with barstock 'pads' stuck to the back of the FETs. I'd like to get some baseline readings on my VRM FET temps before I install it, but it looks like an easy couple-hour project to build. I hope to have LOTS of stuff to do next weekend, because I'll have the whole thing to myself - the wife and child are visiting someone in philadelphia... and I'm an antisocial modder ;)

9. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

Just found this project, amazing work :jawdrop: , I eagerly await more :thumb:

10. Starbuck3733T

Here's a little preview as to what I've been fiddling with before the acrylic pieces got here (which it did today!).

If you want the gritty details, hop on over to the procooling thread

Pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Sanatarium

Sanatarium The Artist Formerly ATi_Loyalist

Very cool, on the comment about antisocial modding, I have to agree, I always end up screwing things up one way or another when my buddies are over for a "mod-get-together." Just doesnt work for me. my recipie is one part rainy night and 2 parts alice in chains then bake for 4-5 hours.
    But yeah, great work, wasnt that article on the mosfet cooling shocking? :worried:

12. Starbuck3733T

Not so much that as I do enjoy long periods of time to myself. I was a loner bachelor for too long before I met the perfect woman :hehe:

None of my friends locally mod. I can't seem to get tem into it. then again, a lot of them are 10 years older than I am, and I don't have that many of them ;)

My college roomies both followed suit - frankly I don't think they executed quite as well as I did, but its all in the spirit. Crazy thing - a house with 3 EEs in it.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Same here... Also people don't understand what I do. They don't know what "modding" means (or involves) and do not appreciate what they see most of the time --except for going: "Oh, wow, that looks really complicated". But they'd say that looking inside a generic beige PC World box. :blah:

Only my wife appreciates the engineering. She really likes the look of Metaversa. She's the only woman I know who likes stainless steel, motorcycles, victorian steam engines and the like. Day before yesterday she and I were both swooning over a black Motorola Razr V3. I guess that's why I married her. :)

14. Starbuck3733T

Oh, so true, so true.

It made my day when my wife looked at the reservior and the water sloshing around inside it and said "hey, this is pretty neat".

and my (step) daughter says "You have water in your COMPUTAH???" (its soo cute).

15. Starbuck3733T

Door Mounting
    Remember when I broke the base plate for the door a few updates ago? Well, I got the new door and marked out lines on either end to align my straight edge for the flat side of the router to ride against. I'm using a 1/2" carbide tipped slot cutting bit on low speed. First step was to cut the deeper portion of the indent for the knuckle of the hinge to sit in.
    [​IMG]

Then cut the more shallow, wide porition for the leaf of the hinge to mount in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Closeup shot of both indents cut. Its a little ugly from the router, but it matters not. Also, don't sweat the fact that the protective paper covering is still there. It'll stay as long as possible.
    [​IMG]

Mounted with tape, as it's not yet screwed into the hinge.
    [​IMG]

Bottom hole for relief of the bolt that holds the hinge to the main chassis.
    [​IMG]

Top hole - and yes, I measured 13.7mm when I meant 12.7mm. Measure twice, drill once, darnit! (doesn't matter, you won't see it behind the smoked plexi front up top)
    [​IMG]

Front plexi's taped on to check alignment of the optical drive hole (for burner) and slot (for DVD reader)
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah, slides out with just enough clearence.
    [​IMG]

Badda bing
    [​IMG]

Badda boom
    [​IMG]

It's a...
    [​IMG]

...Beautiful thing
    [​IMG]

16. Starbuck3733T

Next step: mount the face plates to the base

Mark holes for set screws
    [​IMG]

Drill hole, tap it, then insert set screw.
    [​IMG]

Presto, mounted! Since the bottom part of the face plate will be painted to match the rest of the case, the mounting hardware had to be flush. It will be glued (probably with goop) along with the screws, but the screws had to be fitted to maintain the alignment between the face plate and the base plate, so the optical drives lined up properly. The holes will be filled, and then the whole thing painted. Strong, stealth mount!
    [​IMG]

Untape the whole thing, and the base plate is held on... Look ma, no tape!
    [​IMG]

Mark the base plate location for a hole that will be tapped for a screw to join the hinge to the base plate.
    [​IMG]

Back side of said hole, with aluminum hardware screwed into base plate, plus a relief hole in the hinge so that it'll close up flat.
    [​IMG]

Base plate mounted to hinge.
    [​IMG]

Open...
    [​IMG]

...Sesame!
    [​IMG]

Nice fit and finish (lines up real well)
    [​IMG]

Woooo
    [​IMG]

ooooT! (yeah, it does look a bit off - the black plexi is so black that it looks like there's a gap but its so dark that you don't see the plexi itself. This stuff is a pain to photograph. :mad:
    [​IMG]

Reattach bottom face plate to base plate, photograph with fingerprints and all (will be remedied, of course)
    [​IMG]

Opening...
    [​IMG]

...Open!
    [​IMG]

17. Starbuck3733T

VFD Mounting

The headcap screws I have are just a shade larger than the holes in the VFD, but no problem. Busted out the round file (yes, a round file, not the garbage can!) and enlarged them all. Hint: chucking the round file in your drill makes things go reaaaaaaaal fast ;) Be careful not to go too far!
    [​IMG]

Now I couldn't mount the screen flat to the back of the base plate, as its too thick. So I needed spacers. Hrmm... The old pen casing trick!
    [​IMG]

Moments later after a date with my bandsaw...
    [​IMG]

And mounted.
    [​IMG]

Hiding behind the top face plate.
    [​IMG]

Animation + flash = bad.
    [​IMG]

Temporary install of 2 layers of blue filter.
    [​IMG]

A few snapshots while I'm on the phone with the wife -- "what are you doing??" ;)
    [​IMG]

Money shot - oooh baby!
    [​IMG]
    (And you can see all the wiring because the side of the case is open - that'll be taken care of once I put all the stuff back in).

Font test on the display (well, by fonttest.bmp from my custom VFD software)
    [​IMG]

And the same thing without flash. The color here is more true to life, but its a bit blurry minus the flash)
    [​IMG]

Now... how to keep that door closed.
    Magnets! The wife was kind enough to donate some of that magnet-on-a-roll to my project. It's not in one continuous piece because it would interfere with the cages/rails for the drive mounts, so it has to be cut up into evenly spaced pieces.

On the side.
    [​IMG]

On the top (I can have a big piece there since there's no drive or cage in that spot)
    [​IMG]

So that's that for this update. I haven't mounted the touch keys (as I'm sure its obvious what those round holes below the VFD are for) because I can't permanently attach the top face plate yet. That would make painting the bottom more difficult, so I'll hold off on them for now. So my next immediate step is to glue to the bottom in place after getting everything nice and clean. Then, I suppose, its off to paint. I take forever doing paint, because I finally HAVE to commit to my window design (which still ain't cut!)

Feedback, please. Even if it's just "wow" or "that's ugly"...

18. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Very interesting, great Ideas + performed neatly = great mod

Good job, :thumb:

19. 330td

330td Minimodder

Nice VFD :thumb:

20. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

looks great

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.