1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MODS PLEASE LOCK - MOVED TO NEW FORUM :D!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Starbuck3733T, 2 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

Remember those touch sensor keys? well, at some point I had to actually put connectors on them so I could install them... which is what I was hoping to take care of tonight, but as fate (or my painting apparatus) had it, that was not to be. The bezel dropped off my hook and cracked the edge. Thankfully, with minimal effort and some of the IPS Weld-on 3 I was able to stick it back together. The curse of Zittware strikes again.

So, on with the show. Why did it take me a good 3 hours to do all 4 of these? Keep reading.

Part I: The monotony of it all!

Attach 82 ohm resistors to cathodes of LEDs.
    [​IMG]

Attach black wires (my color scheme... ;-)) to the anodes.
    [​IMG]

Attach wires to resistors.
    [​IMG]

Mark which black white does what, the cathodes were stripped on one end, and the tape helps me keep them paired up.
    [​IMG]

Sleeve.
    [​IMG]

Sleeve some more. All 5 wires coming out are sleeved, and the center wire (going to touch sensor itself) gets its own sleeve. I could have bundled it in with the LED lines, but why risk noise and false triggers on the touch sensors if you don't have to! The LEDs come out on their own short lenghts of sleeving, then another length of sleeving covers all 4 of the LED wires, which goes down to... (see next pic.)
    [​IMG]

The plug end. The single line has no plug on it because I'm not sure what I'm going to use to connect the touch sensors into the chassis control board.
    [​IMG]

Make sure everything still works (white LED in this case, but the blue works too ;-))
    [​IMG]

And 3 hours later I have 4 of them! Hooray. >_>
    [​IMG]

Part II: Paint until nightfall, that's when the bugs come out.

Top primered. I have to do a few more coats after the inital wetsand w\ 400 grit, but this is the beginnings of the paint job.
    [​IMG]

Had to really sand the crap out of the OEM finish on the bottom of the case, all sorts of scratches and gouges in the factory paint. Mostly due from me using it w\ no feet on it for several months last year (shame on me!)
    [​IMG]

That's it for now. Hopefully I can get the front bezel painted and the sensors intalled sometime soon.

2. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

looking great :D

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Can't wait to see the paint job finished.

4. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Why did you sleeve the single center wire? Sleeving it would take up money and time, and the wire is now thicker and less flexible. I can understand using it to bunch multiple cables, but it seems like a waste for a single thin wire.

5. praetor coda

praetor coda What's a Dremel?

Weld-On

Hey starbuck3733t,
    Nice build, real nice. I work with plastics all the time but the only way I can fasten plastic pieces together is either by screws or using J-B weld, I really don't like using epoxy. Where can Pick up a can of that IPS Weld-on?

6. Chobbler

Chobbler Running with a Spoon

nice mod

7. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

first of all

WHY NOT!

it doesnt take up much time, i can sleeve bare wires in matters of seconds, i can sleeve psu's relatively quickly, time isnt the issue!

money on the other hand, ive never spent loads on a sleeving kit, and always have tons left over after a psu/mod, so it may well be he just felt like it

i personally like the way it looks, and it doesnt really affect flexability that much. plus it cuts down on possible noise! so meh

i love this mod, always something new and sexy

8. Starbuck3733T

It's just for appearences, and to keep from the wire from having any direct contact with surfaces inside the case. The sleeving provides an airgap, and air is the perfect insulator in terms of keeping the touch sensor from false triggering. without the sleeving, the sensor wire could be bumped by grounded portions of the case when I open the case door and cause a false trigger, which is bad. Since the single wire is directly attached to the sensor electrode (sanded penny) the sleeving should largely prevent this.

Mcmaster.com - part # 7528A13

"I love this mod, always something new and sexy"... wow, that's like the greatest compliment you can give... thank you! :thumb:

My sleeving was cheap, I bought the stuff in bulk from wirecare.com and spent maybe $30 on all of it, 50 feet of 1/4" and 6 feet of the tiny, tiny stuff I used for the single wire, 6 feet of 1/4" black shrink, 3 feet of 3/4" black shrink, and a bunch of other small stuff.

Flexibility isn't effected that much, if anything it keeps the wire from kinking, which is good. I'll be bundling all the LED cables together with zip ties, but the electrode lines will stay seperate to avoid the possibility of false triggering and interference issues.

What do you mean by cuts down on noise? electrical noise or accoustic?

Last edited: 10 Sep 2005
  9. Starbuck3733T

Part I: "Industrial Black"
    When this project was started in 2003 (yes, 2003, around February/March time, with the first photo-documented post being on August 31st, 2003), I conceived it as being a "black monolith" when off... In fact, the project was nearled called "Project Monolith", so it may not come to those who have followed the project since its inception to see a non-bling type paint job. Flat black was chosen to go with the industrial feel of the mod... after all, when was the last time you saw shiny gloss paint on industrial equipment? The shiny parts are usually on the inside, well lubricated, and working well together, and this mod is no different. From the polished gloss black shroud to the polished aluminum fans, to the gloss black and crinkle black powdercoating, this case screams industrial.

On to the show, already in progress...

The bottom has been primed and will probably get black paint tonight (shortly after I finish posting this ;))
    [​IMG]

Flat black: the anti-bling (a close-up of the top shell of the case.)
    [​IMG]

Again, with mesh integration into the top panel. You'll get an overall shot when it's finished drying. ;)
    [​IMG]

The front bezel, same drill: FLAT BLACK, but will get the some gray plexi top-half, as seen here.
    [​IMG]

And a little trick I came up with to keep dust and other back-yard under-deck crap out of fresh paint. Put a box over it, but with the ends open so the solvents can still evaporate out of the paint.
    [​IMG]

To be continued...

Last edited: 12 Sep 2005
  10. Starbuck3733T

Part I: Continued...
    The paint continues to fly... :D

Completed top. Sorry for the blurry shot, but the light was fading fast, soon it would be no-paint time (due to bugs) hour was upon me.
    [​IMG]

Completed bottom.
    [​IMG]

Bezel...
    [​IMG]

...With smoke acrylic on sitting on top. The light does wierd things with the paint, and it's hard to photograph, so I shot a few angles.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A wise man once said "you can never have too many clamps." (it was dutchcedar, btw ;-)) I'm clamping it so the IPS Weld-on I use to glue the acyrlic together can harden.
    [​IMG]

Niiiiice fit.
    [​IMG]

Special Feature: Teaser of what's coming soon... :D

Touch sensor (and yeah, I need to windex the plexi.)
    [​IMG]

A bit closer.
    [​IMG]

Oooh... :D
    [​IMG]

11. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

12. simosaurus

simosaurus What's a Dremel?

ohhhh , how does the touch sensor work? just bounce some kinda beam back into itself from ur finger?

13. FaiNT`

FaiNT` What's a Dremel?

The amount of work you've put into this mod so far is trully astonishing. The custom parts that you've made deserve some recognition for sure, i think you deserve a good pat on the back for all your hard work, and i just hope this mod turns out well when your done. GJ.

14. Starbuck3733T

It's capacitive touch sensing, it can basically sense your finger touching it by a change in charge. The chip that runs the whole show is the QT150 from Qprox. I'd give you a product link, but I can't find the QT150 on www.qprox.com anymore! Read up on their website: http://www.qprox.com/background/electrodes.php

15. LOTTARO

LOTTARO What's a Dremel?

woahhhhh i cant wait to see it finish!!!

16. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Alternatively, for those of us without the extraordinary skills of Starbuck3733t... i.e. the rest of us, then head down to your local RS Components and pick up something similar, a capacitance switch (switch only.. no fancy electronics) that can be placed under glass or Plexi and operates in the same 'touch' way.

But be warned, it's relatively expensive for a switch (over GBP 30 iirc).

17. Starbuck3733T

Youch, that is steep. I think my whole board w\ all the doodads costs around 25 quid... and that's 2 fan channels (I only need 2, but it could easily be more) and 6 light channels, ATX shutdown and reset, 2 optical drive ejects.

18. Starbuck3733T

Part I: (the Paint Saga) Continued some more...
    The top panel is 95% done, I've got to go shoot one or 2 more coats, but it's just to cover some unnoticeable-to-anyone-but-me thin spots. I'll fix it, because I KNOW ITS THERE... /anal-retentive.

Painted top on
    [​IMG]

Flat, baby. (My finepix 3800 has no aperture setting, hence crappy depth of field...:()
    [​IMG]

Sticky situation: Touch sensor, front panel... front panel, touch sensor.

Time to glue the touch sensors into the front panel... The adhesive you see is plumbers GOOP (yes, I love this stuff and use it for almost everything, it's great versatile stuff!)

A dab of GOOP.
    [​IMG]

Spread with plastic cutlery until roughly even.
    [​IMG]

Put into spot on front panel and press like a mo-fugger for a minute or 2 while it starts to set up, then tape it down.
    [​IMG]

Lather, rinse, repeat until you get this:
    [​IMG]

What? you wanted to see them all lit up? too bad, so sad, the glue has to cure. I'll probably light everything up tomorrow, but I've tested it this evening and there was a small problem. The GOOP is a solvent glue at heart, and ruined the frosted look of the white ring around the sensors. I've got a trick up my sleeve though ;) *Winks at scopEDog*

VFD Signal Cable: Extreme(ly) Ugly Cable Makeover!

The horror, 2 lengths of gray CAT5! Hacked up ribbon cable! ick!
    [​IMG]

5/8 sleeving... (Mental note to purchase huge 1" 4:1 shrink heatshrink... :rolleyes:)
    [​IMG]

(Realizes he's out of electrical tape, how embarrassing, runs to wallyworld and buys a firesafe (for 24 LTO-2 tapes) and 2 rolls of electrical tape.)

A little electrical tape never hurt anyone.
    [​IMG]

A cut-down slot cover + some of mnpctech's now famous u-channel to dress up the cable's entry into the rear of the case. Why not drill a hole in the slot cover and feed it through? Because the cable is too thick for that.
    [​IMG]

Entry...
    [​IMG]

The whole shabang from parallel port on down to entry.
    [​IMG]

Till next time....

PS: Do ya'll like the shorter, more frequent updates? or do you like the less frequent, big juicy ones that seem to flow a bit better?

19. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

i like the smaller ones, as it just shows what ch'ya doing :D

this is looking real good, i love the front panel, so clean!

20. Vito

Vito What's a Dremel?

When it comes to extraordinary work-logs (as yours), I like frequent big updates. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.