1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Mohaa spearhead is it just me?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by dutchcowes, 6 Sep 2006.

1. dutchcowes

dutchcowes less is more

Hi All,

I have done a mid budget upgrade:

E6400
    2 gig ballistix pc5300
    Asrock dual vsta
    AGP 6800ultra (from my old system)

Installed windows all fine, running super pi 1 mil at 25 sec, all seems stable.
    Installed Microsoft dual core patch with the registry fix
    Have latest drivers etc installed, have only this Spearhead problem.

Installed Quake 4, runs fine,
    Installed Fear runs fine,
    Installes Fear Combat runs fine,
    Installed Medal of Honour Allied Assault runs fine,
    Installed Painkiller runs fine.

Installed Mohaa Spearhead does not work for some reason, game has latest patches etc.
    When I try to launch the game loading screen come up and then goes back to the desktop.

Why I don't know, have been on google etc but can't find any answers, have even used a affinity program to set spearhead to one cpu/core but that does not seem to help either.

What I don't understand why other games run fine, has it something to do with the core dual and Spearhead being an old game?

Thanks for your time

2. Griz

Griz What's a Dremel?

HI M8

i have the same problem, all games run fine but not spearhead. I am running the AMD dual core 4200, maybe its a dual core thing? but im not happy :wallbash:

If anybody had any ideas it would be great...

Thanks Griz

3. Griz

Griz What's a Dremel?

Driver issue! Solved!

I installed the older Nvidia driver 9.1.3.1 it works fine now!!!!!

Not to happy about useing an older driver but! cant have it all now can we!

Hope this solves your problem too m8!

Regards
    Griz

4. dutchcowes

dutchcowes less is more

Man that's good news,

I have been in contact with ea games and they said it was not supported at all on Core Duo. Just installed 84.21 drivers and it's runs fine, so I felt brave and installed the 91.31 drivers with the balloon fix.
    The game runs fine, I can not believe howmuch time I spend on this issue and it's all down to a graphics driver.

Here is the response of EA games today:

If you run a dual core CPU, such as a Pentium D or AMD X2, or even a Pentium 4 with HyperThreading, you may notice that the game is quite jerky even at high framerates or even crash. Things seem to run fast and slow randomly - this is because the game has compatibility issues with dual core CPUs. So not only is there no performance boost with dual core CPUs, there are actually issues which require the following steps to be resolved:

Setting Processor Affinity Manually:

1. Launch the game
    2. As soon as the game appears to begin loading, or after it has loaded up, press CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the Task Manager.
    3. Under the Processes tab, find the nameofthegame.exe process, right-click on it, select 'Set Affinity' and in the box which appears, untick 'CPU 1'.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And this one:

Unfortunately, we still don't have any news or updates whether this game will run in CoreDuo in the future, as this game was not tested to work on dual core processors. In the meantime, I suggest you try to run your game on your most lowered settings of your computer and see if the game will work

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have e-mailed EA games that the game will run on a core duo with these drivers.

Thanks m8, you have made my weekend :clap:

Last edited: 30 Sep 2006
Tags: