1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Molex to 120v AC Plug. Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by [t0rc], 2 Feb 2004.

1. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

I was wondering if it's possible to get a molex to plug directly into a household outlet. So you could have ccfls plugged right into the wall without needing a PSU. Or is there somewhere that you can buy CCFLs that are already prepped to plug into a wall outlet?

2. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

You are now banned from all electrical and electronic matters. ;) :eek:

115V AC Mains (USA) and the 12V DC coming out of your psu are very different beasts!
    I suppose you could get a smaller 12V psu for the cathodes..

3. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Nevermind...

Nevermind. I found what I was looking for.

4. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

Jeezusssss, and i thought i was an 'amateur' electrician???????????
    [t0rc], please read up on the very basics b4 u kill yrself or someone else. I admit, reading these threads can sometimes give u really good ideas, but unless u understand the logistics of electricity, yr mains supply is gonna get medieval on yr ass.
    An old AT or ATX psu will be great if u dont wanna use yr main one for powering lights.
    If theyre purely for home decoration, take a look at some professional lighting stockists - u wouldnt be able to mod them cheaper than u could buy them.

5. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Redeemer

Just to try and patch up my status of "total retard" go here: http://www.elwirecheap.com

They have a Cold Cathode FAQ that states you can run em off of a 12v AC adapter and an inverter... either EL Wire Cheap and I are correct, you misunderstood my question, or someone needs to correct the error of our ways...

It would just be for home use, I'm going to use it to light up a workspace of mine, and a few other things. I dont want to have to use another PSU for the lights, but I will if I have to.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2004
  6. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Perhaps...

Perhaps the confusion was centered around the molex part? That prolly shouldn't have been in the question...

7. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

Perhaps

If your question was asking if you could wire up your own "wall type" plug for your cathode so the computer powers it but it plugs into the computer and unplugs then yes, but a wall type would NOT be good because some unwashed heathen could come in and blow themselves or others to bits...