1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Molyneux warns companies over motion sensing controllers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 23 Aug 2006.

1. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

The biggest problem I see is the quality & precision of the motion sensors - I haven't seen too many good ones.

As for his main point: I think it's fairly clear that we don't all play games the same way; Peter Molyneux might get all zen (becoming one with the couch) but my sister gets a FULL workout playing Jack & Daxter (she's hilarious to watch).

Since getting a desk job I've seriously thought of getting a PS2 & eyetoy or even a dancemat just for the exercise. (exercise just for the sake of exercise bores me beyond belief)

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

With today's headline news being the generation of fat slobs coming up, perhaps every temptation to burn calories should be encouraged. :D

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

ok..... i am a student, i sit on a chair for about 7 hours in one day, i come home and i sit down and play a game...... NAHHHHH!H!!!!!! thats not me.

i have my computer and tv and playstation (its dead now :( ) in my room, i dont have a couch, i have a bed to sleep and watch TV and a computer case to sit on to use my computer. when my cousing brings his PS2 around i always play standing up, i used to play PS standing up, i used to play sega mega drive and master system standing up, wii will be like a dream come true, it gives me workout, it is fun, and hell i am the game.

how many times i would say: S*IT SWING THE SWORD TO THE RIGHT SO I CAN HIT THOSE #$%#&$%&#"$#&%$%$!!!!! now i can do it my self, if you want something done you have to do it yourself.

and please dont tell me you cant play red steel sitting on a couch.

4. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

im sure youll get a nice workout if youve got a ninja fighting game or sumthin ;)

hmmm wonders when people are going to get RSWII :)

i think more gamers are going to get hurt hitting object within the proximity of the err... arms?

5. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Notice how he's not just talking about the Wii controller but the PS3 controller has motion sensing as well. And just after he's signed a big deal with Microsoft. Coincidence? Considering his previous praise of the controller I think not. :eyebrow:

Besides, all of his latest games have been dissapointing IMO so he's one to talk.

6. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

WII shall cure our fattys! all hail WII!

7. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

We can hope.

There are plenty of people who still play ddr and thats the only thing that gets one guy I know any excercise at all. However a 350+lb guy jumping around in the livingroom is bound to break things but at least it gets people up. Hopefully the Wii will continously have new and interesting games coming out and some that get you hooked enough to keep playing it. I still play duckhunt after all this time because it lets me shoot at the tv, its not just laying back in a beanbag chair in a comatose state playing driver.

8. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I can see people getting tired and once the novelty has worn off people wil stop playing. I know lots of people that get tired using light guns. I reckon there wil be a few court cases in America for repetitive strain injury's lol.

People are lazy and the Wii will just show how lazy we all are. All the Nintendo fan boys will then wish for a normal joypad again in the Wii 2

Last edited: 24 Aug 2006
  9. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

i figure most gamers are used to the motions of masterbating, shouldnt be too much more of a strain using the controller. i mean its not like your holding a battle axe in your hand its no more then like half a pound. i think its honestly one of the selling points of the system. i cant wait to experience the system. i just hope the sensor can keep up. especialy with the targeting system. is it goignt o be sensitive enough for fine targeting.

10. devenfore

devenfore LANCandy

I agree with mikeuk2004, also I would like to add that the touchscreen on the DS is a worthless 'novelty', and is only there for our entertainment and serves no "real gaming" purpose. lol

Not every game released on the Wii will force you to use the motion sensors. It's a fun thing that certain games will have access to. I see it being used more for "mini-games" and such, but I am sure there will be some great full-length games that utilize it.

11. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

Just to clarify something: I'm not lazy.

I go to the gym 5 days a week and do 35 minutes of cardio. I can run 4 miles in between 25-30 minutes at a moderate pace without being horribly out of breath. I consider myself quite fit.

And I agree with Monelux's perspective 100%

When I play games, for me, its in my down time. Its when I want to relax and be entertained. If I want exercise, I'll go hiking as I do every weekend.. go to the gym where I can monitor my progress and calories burned, go cycling where I can enjoy the scenery, etc etc etc.

Saying that because someone wants to be lazy when playing video games, they are lazy in general is an awful steriotype.. and personally... I think its pretty horrible that someone would rather tire themselves out in front of a TV rather than by doing real exercise. If you think flailing your arm around is going to help you get any more in shape than sitting on a couch.. you're in for a rude awakening.. It's more effort required to perform.. but the increase in energy spent would not net you any physical boon unless you were dieting like crazy (ie. cut your calory intake to ~ 1200 or less a day). Not to mention, any and all forms of exercise fail to net any results unless they are performed in a consistent manner. Going and running for 30 seconds, walking for 30 seconds, standing for a minute, running for 30 seconds, walking for 30 seconds and standing for another 3 will have about 0 effect on your metabolizm. You'll burn about 15 calories.. as opposed to running for 5 minutes you'll burn between 80-100 calories.

Hes got a point.. this control scheme is cool, seems fun, but in practice it will probably be too much in the long run. I hate to bring up the age old "for kids" analogy again, but the energy and endurance children have perfectly match the requirements for this control scheme. Teenagers will probably like it as well, though they tend to like things that are more compeditive since they have nothing and everything to prove all at the same time (and compeditive contradicts Nintendo's whole mission statement delivered along with this console). Adults play games for recreation on average, at least the ones with full time jobs. They go to work, and when they get home they play to get away from responsibility. Being lazy when doing so is part of the point.

12. cardmeister

cardmeister What's a Dremel?

I can see the concern... but having said which, I've played the Wii and it's just freakin' fun.

Not *all* of the games are going to require excessive amounts of movement... The Wii-mote is capable of responding very well, to very little movement (via the pointer/sensor bar), and there will be games that will implement use of subtle controls which very few (if any) would consider being exhuasting (Super Monkey Ball, Elebits).

As far as the more intense game, (as may be the case with the recently announced sword-swinging interface applied to Zelda: TP), some people probably will be turned off by the level of interactivity required... But I don't think it will lead to the doom of the system. And if the game is engaging enough, people will be willing to put that extra effort into it (Did I mention the Wii-mote was really freakin' fun?). Donkey-Kong: Jungle beat is a prime example of this.

Wii is a completely different way of playing games. Old style controllers and games that use them will still have their place, but I think Wii will still be very successful.

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

You played the Wii?

14. wolff000

wolff000 I am here to steal your secrets.

this is the first nintendo console i have gotten excited about sense the 64. the gamecube just never did it for me. don't really know why it didn't but the spark wasn't there. the wii however i am anxioulsy awaiting partialy because of the controller. i'm not a lazy person i exercise regularly and only game for an hour or so. i'd love to devote more time but my schedule is intense to say the least. i think this will appeal to alot of people.

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

ok..... another thing:

me wants to smash enemy with a hammer.

1) press button A and hero smashes enemy with the hammer.

2) i move the wiimote like the hammer and i smash the enemy like i want from were i want.

another thing, imagine a starwars game on this..... hmmmm light saber. :D

16. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

2 2 2 2 222222

Smashed em good

17. TheColdLord

TheColdLord What's a Dremel?

Well tbh, I am very excited by the Wii. the wiimote is one if one of the main reasons. It will be very interactive,and will probably deliever a s**tload of fun. I am not what you'd call lazy but at the same time not an athlete either. IMHO the wii will be super fun.

1:I do not give a rats a** about what Molyneux said. If he plays games like that it is his freakin problem, not everyone plays games while drinking bear and getting into a comatose state.
    2: The wii isn't supposed to be a gym machine, and it won't solves the fat a** problem IMHO, but it is possible that it will lift the fat a**es up and make them play a fun game, and they will not regret playing it.
    I can't wait to get my hands on wii!!!!

18. XxScythexX

XxScythexX What's a Dremel?

This just sound like the babblings of a old fat-ass gamer that doesn't want to get off his bubbly ass just to play a game becuase he might break his hip. He's just a hater. And plus he mentions that people will look like idiots when playing with the Wii, but people look like idiots now when they play with Playstation's EyeToy and the soon to be released motion sensor games using the 360's camera. Its obvious that people like to be more interactive with their games and I just think he just being a pissy little girl about it.

If you wouldn't mind I'd like to revision his speech into a single sentence:
    "Why get up off your asses when you can sit down in front of the computer and play my ****** computer games?"

/End of Rant

19. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Not to pick on you, DXR, but when you play a game do you really want to swing that "hammer" and feel the force feedback as it impacts their skull, to feel the bones snap under your blow? Think about the nature of these games and ask at what point does it become TOO real? :worried:

20. Stwongbad

Stwongbad What's a Dremel?

Dont be such a baby about it..its just a game >_>' right?

Tags: Add Tags