1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

money money money...

Discussion in 'General' started by Pballer98c, 24 Jan 2005.

1. Pballer98c

Pballer98c Minimodder

ok, so after reading countless threads I still can't figure out your (us/british/euro/whatever its called) money system. I see pound, quid, VAT?
    confused....
    lol is VAT like an internet tax or something? or is it like shipping (im cluessless)
    thanks!

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

vat is the tax added on to an item or product so the price shown is tax included already unlike the states where the tax is added on when paying for the item(i think??)

its a government tax

3. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

In the UK the currency is called Pound, that is the official name, it is also known as quid, squids, and many other that I can't think of atm!

VAT stands for 'Value Added Tax' AFAIK - and its the tax we pay on all goods bar food (not so sure about the food tax part)

4. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

VAT is typically 17.5% on the price of a good. Hence when shopping online it's a good idea to check whether the price includes VAT or not.

However now in the UK the single european currecncy (cunningly named the Euro) is also accepted in many places.

5. Lamer

Lamer What's a Dremel?

It's a tax from value of an object you buy (yeah I know my english is terrible, I hope you understand :p).

For example: lets say that we're buing a drill, the price of the drill is 10$ but when you add a VAT (for example 22%) it will cost 12.20$ and that's the price you have to pay.

6. nohope4me

nohope4me What's a Dremel?

Main unit of currency: UK Pound (AKA quid, squid, etc) = 1.88 USD
    100 New Pence make one Pound.

VAT: Value Added Tax. A surcharge on all 'non-essential' items, basically meaning most things except basic food, childrens' clothes, etc. Scourge of the small businessman. Typically 17.5%.

7. Morphious

Morphious What's a Dremel?

17.5%?!?! OUCH! That sucks. :(

8. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

When I first saw VAT, I thought it had something to do with the Vatican... :worried:

9. Pballer98c

Pballer98c Minimodder

ok cool. thanks, that helps a lot. We dont have tax added to products when bought over the internet (cept for texas?? maybe) so thats why i was a little confused. We you buy something in the store, you usually are charged around 8% sales tax :) thanks

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Buy something worth a quid and itll cost you £1.18

Everyone in britain is issued steel underwear at birth to prevent groinal injury cause we're constantly being kicked in the crotch by the govt.

11. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

:D :rock: :clap: :thumb:

12. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

also when you pass your driving test you are issued with a tub of lube and a barrel

13. RTT

RTT #parp

and when you buy a TV...

14. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

VAT is what we Yanks call sales tax. But it is applied directly to the item, instead of at the cash register. So the prices are WYSIWYG. And you don't have to do so much heavy math before you pay. I think the English do this because of the chav problem they have now. And the belgians do it because of Relix. :hehe:

15. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Rip-off britain, 'nuff said me thinks.
    Need to move somewhere cheaper...

16. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

Rofl

Cheap ass poor git stickeh that can't afford anything so he blames britain:p

Agree with H, and its hopefully going to stay like that! Get euro's in the uk I will kill myself.

- S

17. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Hmmm, didnt say i was poor, would prefer it if everything was cheaper though, then i could buy MORE :D

18. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

rofl, shame it doesnt work like that:)...

Things go down other's will go up, its nearly impossible to make things cheap, due to other companies in the competition. Also they got to make a profit blah blah

Right oh..

- S

19. penski

penski BodMod

We pay $9 for 20 Malboro red.

We pay $6.40 per (US Liquid) Gallon of petrol.

We get taxed to hell.

*n

20. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

at least we have a good economy, and a government which reasonably takes care of us (generally good health care, services, national defence etc) - i like living here, and im proud of my country, whatever they did in the past!

nice high tax on smokes/petrol/alcohol only helps make us better - and it isnt like we cant afford the 17.5%. we is a v rich country :)

edit: though i agree on some points we get screwed - the TV thing for one - driving tests are completele stupid (though tbh it may make us safer for it) - and we could be said to be a violent nation!