1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

money money money...

Discussion in 'General' started by Pballer98c, 24 Jan 2005.

1. RiPz

RiPz What's a Dremel?

most sales places in britain tell you the VAT'd price anyway, just the rubbish ones who try and con you into thinking something cheaper than it is dont.. so you enerally know what you're going to have to pay before you get to the checkout ;)

2. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

How come, in the pund shop, you only pay a pound for something and not VAT on top?
    In the dollar tree in florida you have to pay $1.07

3. penski

penski BodMod

Roughly 1/3 of our income goes toward tax and national insurance.

We do have a National Health Service though...If I fall over and break my arm, I won't pay for it to be treated...

No we don't.

It is a common mistake, this. The royal family do not cost the British public millions of pounds per year. The money they bring into the country as far as tourisim and so forth is roughly the same as what they 'cost'.

*n

4. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 What's a Dremel?

17.5% is pretty bad. That's a little over twice what we pay in California for sales tax (8.25%). Some states in the US don't even have sales tax, such as Oregon. it's not uncommon for folks in California to drive up to Oregon to buy a new car. Saves quite a lot of money...

Oh yeah and my biggest gripe against the Euro is the fact that each different denomination is a different size. Makes it look like a damn mess in your wallet because the larger bills stick out all over the place.

5. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

The problem with petrol tax is theres no viable alternitives to using a car.

For example it costs me roughly £5 to get too and from work a day, A bus ticket costs roughtly the same but i would have to get up an hour earlyer and would get home an hour later, Theres no train etc..

Basicly fuel is essential to my survival so souldent be taxed for the same reason food isnt taxed. :D

slater..

6. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Insurance is seperate from taxes - well except for medicare.. For me, add another $150/month for that. I guess that would get me up to about 30-35% of my income for taxes and health insurance. Seems that the cost of living is a bit less here in the states than in Britton..

We also have medical insurance through whatever state you live in, but that's mostly for people who can't afford private insurance. Rule of thumb is that if you can afford private insurance, get that and don't mess with medicare (state insurance).

7. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

thats Britain, ya silly yank

it probably would work out about the same, makes sense for it to, as we're paying for the same services

8. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

But you did go to school right? And if you ever have kids you'd like there to be a school there. You may as well say I don't want my taxes going into a healthcare system because I'm not sick at the moment.

All our notes over here are (slightly) different sizes. My understanding of it is so that blind people can identify which flat piece of paper(plastic) they are holding just by the size(length:width ratio) without asking.
    "Is this a $20 note?" *holds out $50 to cashier*.
    "Why yes it is.... an here's $10 change." *hands back $5*

Solution for you=get a bigger wallet?

9. penski

penski BodMod

Dad - Cost of living in the US is quite a bit lower than in the UK...but nowhere near as low as Australia.
    That isn't the point I was getting at - I say we should pay for the services we use. ie, my parents would have paid increased council tax whilst I was at school. I'm not having kids (infact, I'm getting a vascectomy as soon as I'm old enough to get it done on the NHS/can afford to get it done in private) so that is a moot point.

No, I'm not. Read what I said. I happily pay for the NHS because I want that service to be there in case I ever need it what I am not happy about is paying for a service which I am not using and will never use.

And on the subject of notes, Australia has kickass money.

*n

10. relix

relix Minimodder

The reason every note is of a differint size is to fight faking them. As you all probably know, the paper used to make notes is not available in public. Also, there are weird things in it to ensure it's authencity (metal wire, watermark, ...). Now, if all notes would be the same size (like it is in the US), it would be easy to just wash the ink off a 1 dollar note, and print the face of, e.g., a 50 dollar note on it. In Europe you will notice that the size of the notes go up when the value of it increases. This is logical, if you take a 20 euro note, you can only cut some paper off here and there to make it a 10 euro note or a 5 euro note, which wouldn't be profitable for fakers.

11. quartz01

quartz01 What's a Dremel?

CA has one of the highest sales tax in the US... when they were raising it from 6.5% to 7.0% a few years back, i remember there were protests and what not... but 17.5%!! i would start a revolution... course i hate alot of government programs and thing private companies can do it better/cheaper, so don't think everyone is so weird in the states..

12. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

/me pays $0.75 for one US gallon of petrol. And no state taxes, and $2,000 a year in federal income tax. No sales tax on anything, although they are discussing a 2% sales tax in 2010. The trick is to live outside the country.

13. Lamer

Lamer What's a Dremel?

17,5% is much?! We have 22% :eeek:

14. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Whats the income tax over in the states?

Here - the first £4000 you earn is tax free, and then the % increases as you earn more, the highest is 40% income tax - in the 70's it was something like 70% for the rich, drove them all out of the country.

15. RTT

RTT #parp

Nope, wrong, denied :D

US bills are the best, that's real money alright. Nothing comes close :cooldude:

16. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Most of the counties in NY State are at 8.25% at the moment... Plus unlink some other states (Mass is one), there is sales tax on all clothes.

17. penski

penski BodMod

Dad - are prices displayed including ST or do you have to add it yourself..?

Rich - you're not allowed an opinion, you're from Canadia.

*n

18. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Not only do you have to figure it out for yourself, but some counties have a different tax rate than others. In addition, some states don't charge sales tax on certain things like clothes while others do.

19. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 What's a Dremel?

Think of it this way penski, that money you are paying to the school system helps keep kids in school which keeps then off the street which keeps them from becoming chavs...

which is good for everyone right? :thumb:

20. penski

penski BodMod

A chav will always be a chav irrespective of the level of education they receive.

I've met chavs with degrees. They're still scum.

I still maintain that I should only pay for services I am using.

*n