1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays monitor advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pizza, 4 May 2008.

1. pizza

pizza What's a Dremel?

I'm having real trouble finding the right monitor for my new build. Here's the requirements:

Cost: £150 is the target, i'd rather spend less but could spend a bit more for something awesome
    Res: I think 1680x1050 sounds about right, although i'm using a single 8800gt. Is this res a bit optomistic?
    Size: anywhere in 19" to 22" really. Bigger obviously means that I'm more of a man, but is more expensive and not so sharp.
    Input: DVI
    HDCP: well maybe, i'm still not sure if I care about it or not...
    Panel type: This is what's giving me trouble. I don't really want a TN panel, but no manufacturers say what they have used (implying its a TN). All the alternatives seem to be equivalent so I have no preference, but i'd like a half-reasonable viewing angle.

It's mainly for gaming so a good response time is also essential. AND- I'm in the uk, so can only use suppliers from here.

Can anyone help?

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

1680x1050 should be fine for an 8800GT. I play most of my games at 1920x1200 with a single 8800GT (even Crysis, if you like a slideshow :p ).
    You'll have to get a TN panel for £150, but they're really not that bad, it depends what you're used to and whether you're a stickler for colours. Personally, I think TN is perfectly fine.

I can only find these two in your price range, but I'm sure more hunting might find some more options:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-037-AC&groupid=703&catid=17&subcat=949
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-058-HY&groupid=703&catid=17&subcat=949

Out of these two, the Acer looks like the best one.

3. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Might want to cheack out aria, found one for my sister on there, 22" widescreen for about £130 i believe.

RwD

4. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Tags: