1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Monitor arm recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeStorm, 8 Dec 2014.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Hey,
    As above, I'm consider a monitor arm due to lack of desk space and wanting to be able to use two monitors again.

Currently using my U2711, but would like to also use a 23" monitor in portrait.

What are some good options?

Thanks

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I have a Ergotron LX that has served me well for several years.

3. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

4. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

5. GeorgeStorm

Sorry I should have said, desk mount ideally, as a desk stand has the same issue I would have just using two monitors in that I don't really have the desk space.

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I have one arm, which will sell soon. It holds my Hazro 27" right now. Had it for a year or so, very sturdy. Don't know the name of it, but I can put out for sale if you are interested?
    I'll for photos...

Like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Dec 2014
  7. GeorgeStorm

Looks interesting, would be great if you could find out the name and if you can buy arms for it, since it looks like it might be possible to buy a 2nd arm to add another monitor.

8. megamale

megamale Minimodder

9. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

It wasn't very expensive, I think it was around £40-50. Will check if I can find the name and where I bought it from.
    But I guess for you ideally would be getting a double arm, looks like will be same money, but less metal on your desk:)

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Cheap arms are some of the Arctic monitor arms :
    http://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/products/computer-accessories/monitor-arm.html

Not perfect, but good enough. Just don't forget to tighten the screw bellow the VESA mount on non-Pro models as it is inacessible after mounting monitor on it, and by default it is not tightened enough to keep the monitor from leaning forward due it's own weight.

11. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Ergotron all day long, copes perfectly with my dell 32's and they are heavy, can have them at any angle and no sag, even after weeks of being in the same position

Sent from my SM-T325 using Tapatalk

12. GeorgeStorm

13. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I have a dual mount similar to the one phinix has, and it's been great since I got it in May. Bit of a pain to set up on your own (mostly just attaching the monitor and arms to the vertical pole). I realize I'm linking from the Canadian amazon, but I've been very happy with it, and it was very affordable. Here's the link.

14. GeorgeStorm

Fair enough, looks similar to a couple I've seen on the UK site.

Just seen this is on offer and has very favourable reviews:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-Dou...45&sr=1-1&keywords=monitor+arm#productDetails

Any thoughts?

Whilst I'm not opposed to spending a fair amount, since I don't actually need much movement etc (once I've set them up with 1 landscape and 1 portrait they're basically going to stay there) I don't see the need to go way over the top.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Funny enough I was looking at single monitor variant of that Duronic arm the other day. Also for U2711.

Question regarding desk. I have a very nice desk I don't want to damage. At 60x70mm for contact, that's a lot of force on the desk surface! Does it damage desk surfaces over a long time?

16. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

The one you linked looks fine. It's one of those "set it and forget it" kind of things. I set my height, tightened up the tilt nut, and I can still swing the monitors around as needed. Mine also allow me to rotate so I can switch to portrait with no effort at all. Looks like that one also rotates, and it has the hooks for cables, which can help tidy things up. Only major difference besides having different arm design is the anchor thing on mine has 2 instead of 1, and it's a bit wider.

For the price, I don't think you can really go wrong. I don't see the need for the more expensive ergotron stands IF you don't plan on moving the monitor much.

Edit: In response to wuyanxu, as I said, my stand's "anchor" is a bit wider with 2 instead of 1 of the screw things, but so far it doesn't appear to have damaged anything, and I'm using it with a cheapish ikea desk (not solid wood). If you're concerned, you can always add a thin piece of wood underneath to help spread the weight more evenly.

17. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

Oooo, very tempting at that price. Might have a go post-Christmas assuming my ancient monitors have the right holes in the back :D.

18. GeorgeStorm

I'm very tempted by the Silverstone, as it looks like a nice balance of quality and value (basically between the cheaper ones like the arctic/duronic and the ergotron.

Sadly it seems to be on pre-order everywhere.

19. GeorgeStorm

If you decide to go for it I would appreciate you giving some feedback on it here, and I'll do the same if I decide to commit soon.

I think I'll be waiting until I go back to uni after Christmas before making my mind up.

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I probably won't go for it anytime soon. Ive been considering it for half a year now......

Will be interesting to hear your feedback though.