1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Monitor mod problem

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Joe_Stereo, 8 Nov 2004.

1. Joe_Stereo

Joe_Stereo What's a Dremel?

I have one of those old pc with built in monitor computers (looks like a mac). I am in the process of pimpin' it out with with a P3 1000/40 gg HDD, and all. The original guts consisted of a 486/50mhz, 4 mb ram. So this isnt exactly a swap in upgrade. My problem, however, is the monitor had no VGA connector coming from it, just pin outs on a harness to the motherboard. I added a VGA cable to it now, and hooked it up to the new motherboard, and the display is flickering vertically, and no mode changes stop it, even does it when i'm in the bios. The monitor says its SVGA 1024x768. Is there any thing in the wiring or monitor adjustments that usually cause this? Is this a different vid standard i havent heard of? When i hooked it up to the new system it was @ 640x480/60Hz

2. Joe_Stereo

Okay! I stableized the picture by enabling "composite sync" in powerstrip. What does this mean? Also the picture is very purple-ish, what would cause that?

3. Ben

Ben What's a Dremel?

probably::
    a dying monitor,
    there is a magnet behind the monitor (if so take the magnet away leave the monitor off for a day and try again),
    or i do not know.

4. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

If the monitor is purple all over, the green tube's gone, if it's green in parts, it's magnetic interferance.

- H.

5. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

Or, (preferable) the signal for 'green' from the grapgics card isn't getting through to the monitor due to bad / incorrect wiring.

6. Joe_Stereo

The monitor worked great, with the originalo hardware. No unusual color, and very sharp. However, you mentioned a magnet. There is a magnet arround the cable at the back, that is close to the rear of the tube. Does anyone know why composite sync woulod have to be enabled?

7. Ben

Ben What's a Dremel?

well if you added the magnet or moved it there then that could be the problem if not, then its more likely to be the wiring.

check pin 3/7

[​IMG]

do you have a spare monitor that can be used to test the wiring.

edit :: link

Last edited: 9 Nov 2004
  8. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

The 'magnet' around the cable is a ferrite choke to dampen interference, leave it alone.

- H.

9. Joe_Stereo

In the original cable actually coming from the tube, there is R, G, B, and their respective shields. Then there is Yellow (vertical sync), white (horizontal sync), black (ground), a brown (i believe is monitor id 1), and the shield. If i am connecting these to a new vga plug end, where does the sync the sync ground come from? The ground wire, or the main shield wire?

Last edited: 10 Nov 2004
  10. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

I've repaired a couple of monitors that have lost their connectors in the past, and when I did, I just tied all the grounds together. (Including the outer shield)

It worked fine for both monitors. It's not good practice, but I've never had any problems. As for the monitor ID wires, I just left them disconnected. All this means is that Windows cannot automatically identify the monitor. This isn't a problem, except that it means that you can select resolutions and refresh rates that the monitor doesn't support. (So you have to be a bit more careful setting screen resolution and refresh rate)