1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Playng Up

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Wench, 24 Jun 2008.

1. Wench

Wench BINGOBONGO!

I have a Viewsonic VX715 17 inch jobby.

Ive had it a few years, but all of a sudden, whenever I turn it on, wiht my PC, it flicks on every 3 seconds, and the powers off again. I can see my desktop coming up, but it flicks on and off. So much so, its 4 seconds back, and a flash of picture.

Ive tried changing cables around, and restarting and whatnot, but it takes 45 minutes of comptuer restarts for my picture to come on and stay on, and it says ANALOG in teh corner of the screen, and then is fine all day.

Any ideas would be loved.!

2. SupReme

SupReme Message is over there ->

It's most probably dying, if it's not dead already.

Get starting saving, i think it's time for a new one mate..

3. Wench

Wench BINGOBONGO!

Your just a big meany!
    When its on, it works fine. When its nearly on, its deadises

Any dieas of how to bodge this?

4. SupReme

SupReme Message is over there ->

Well i am big, that's for sure. We can work on the meany part, but we'll see ;)

Have you tried it on another computer? Just to make sure it's the monitor b*tching around, and not your graphics card or something.

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Sounds like the inverter or CCFL is dead/dying.

When the screen looks dead, cup your hands to it and see if you can faintly make out the images.

If you can it's a case of finding a replacement CCFL/inverter (around £10/£40 respectively) and VERY carefully dismantling the screen and resoldering a CCFL on.

6. wongy2803

wongy2803 What's a Dremel?

I had a problem like this with my monitor i changed to the second output on my graphics card, and that fixed it, for some strange reason the connector wasn't sending the on signal to the monitor.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It is dying. Many failing electronic components show problems at warm-up and then stabilise, but this period gets longer and longer until they break.

8. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

To me it sounds like a dry solder joint or a cracked track on the circuit board.

When you first start the computer and the monitor comes on it is cold and the solder joint (or cracked track) doesn't conduct very well, as it heats up the solder joint opens and closes with the expansion of the circuit board and copper tracks, once it is up to operating temperature the solder joint stays closed and conducts better than it did before it had warmed up.

You could try carefully opening it up and touching a soldering iron (no extra solder needed) to as many of the solder joints as possible but considering how much surface mount parts are used these days and that you need a very large magnifying glass, surface mount re-work station, steady hands and unlimited patience, you might want to give it a miss and feed the monitor to your bin when it eventually dies completely.

I was going to do this with my old CRT monitor but when I opened it up it was apparent they had designed it to be put together when manufactured but not to be taken apart and reassembled after repairs, you could take it apart but you would never get it back together.

[sarcasm]
    What a wonderful throw-away society we have become.
    [/sarcasm]