1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor temp on AM1I Motherboard?

Discussion in 'MSI UK' started by wolfticket, 24 Feb 2015.

1. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I have a little MSI AM1I motherboard based system and a MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 system.

With the FM2 system I can use Click BIOS to monitor CPU temperatures from within Windows, and Control Center to change fan speeds.

However I tried installing it on the AM1 system and it says it is incomparable, and the few 3rd party tools I've tried don't seem to work. The only way I can see temperatures (or change fan speeds) is in BIOS, which isn't particularly useful.

Is there any way of monitoring CPU temperature from within Windows on the AM1I?

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Try THIS it works with pretty much everything, won't control your fans though

wolfticket likes this.
  3. wolfticket

Thank you, but while it seems to give me some temperatures, they don't seem to be correct.

There are two readings:
    The motherboard section is 25°C and doesn't change at all.
    The CPU section is 5°C or so idle and gets up to about 13°C under full load. I know the AM1 runs cool but that seems a little too low :)

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

HWMonitor is the best for AMD chips if my memory serves me correctly.

Look at the TMPIN0 or TMPIN1 temperatures. It will be more realistic. To find out which one it is exactly, load the CPU with something very intensive like Prime95 or similar, and see which rises very sharply once the load is placed on the CPU. :)

You may have to install the actual software for that specific motherboard for it to read temperatures, if you were to go down the MSI route instead of an additional program. I'm not sure as I have neither of the boards in question.

wolfticket likes this.
  5. wolfticket

The only reading that changes at all under load was the last one I mentioned. That was with all 4 cores at 100% for about 10min.

The MSI route should be Click BIOS or Control Center, but neither seem to work or even install with the AM1 board (they work fine with the FM2 one).

In the BIOS itself you can view the temperature, set the target temperature and the minimum fan speed. Which is fine, but obviously I can't monitor the temperature in normal use or under load.

I'm pretty sure it's okay.
    The target is set to 40°C and the minimum fan speed is set to 50%. It's silent at those speeds but you can hear it at 100%, and after setting it to that I've never heard the fan speed ramp up even under heavy load. AM1s should run very cool anyway.

It's just I'm more used to having the comfort of being able to keep an eye on temperature during use until I am happy with the level of cooling.

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I know what's happening here. I have had this with AMD chips in the past. What you're seeing isn't he actual core temp, but the die temp. When mine was doing it there was about a 15 degree difference between the 2 readings.

I've had mine reading 13 degrees when the actual temp was 28.

Some mobo's just don't run hot at all. I've seen a 4 degree rise between idle and ragging the arse off it. So don't worry about that to much.

7. TheMadDutchDude

Not true, Jeff. There's no way a component can be below ambient temperatures on an ambient cooling system. It's just misread by the software. ;)

8. wolfticket

I wish there was an MSI tool that worked like Click BIOS does on my other board.

Failing that I might have to break out the IR thermometer for my own peace of mind. Should the measured temp on the CPU heatsink match the core temp?

9. TheMadDutchDude

No sir. The temperature of a heat sink is always drastically lower than that of the CPU core.

I think you're really over thinking this one, you've got nothing to worry about. If it gets too hot, it'll turn itself off. :)