1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Monitor upgrade - Advice/opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Plugs, 10 Jun 2010.

1. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

Hi

I currently have a 17" 4:3 monitor which I am thinking of upgrading to a widescreen 16:9.
    I dont want to lose any physical vertical height, so my trigonometry tells me I need a 16:9 screen that is at least 20.8" corner to corner.

1920x1080

It needs to have HDMI (for a console), DVI (for the PC).

Budget: £150

It doesnt need to be amazing, just the best quality for the budget (as well as fitting the above criteria)

I saw this on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-B23...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276125580&sr=1-17
    but i was hoping someone might have more insight and/or options as i know little on the topic.

Thanks

Last edited: 10 Jun 2010
  2. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

3. mrhrk01

mrhrk01 What's a Dremel?

I just bought a ViewSonic VX2260WM for a cousin of mine , it may also fit the bill for you. Link below:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/22-V...DVI-VGA-1920x1080-300cd-m-200001(DCR)-Speaker

I was going to test it the Monitor before passing it onto my cousin, but have not yet had the time to test it. However the Monitor has received a good review from Bit-tech:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/monitors/2009/01/05/viewsonic-vx2260wm-22in-full-hd-monitor/1

Its a 22 Inch Monitor, wide screen, has the resolution your looking for and is just £2 over your budget.

I have not come across the Monitor you have linked to in your original post, so I can not comment on that, but I am sure someone will come along and let you know if that Monitor is any good or not.

4. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

thanks mrhrk
    the monitor you suggested is also under budget on amazon by £2 (free shipping too for me)

also more investigating shows that most (if not all) of these monitors are actually 21.5", including the ' 23" ' samsung... so any comments ive made with regards to size dont sit - but 21.5" is big enough anyway

anyone have any knowledge/experience of an LED backlight then?
    otherwise its a toss up between the viewsonic and the samsung... or the LG... or the other LG :sigh: :rolleyes:

5. mrhrk01

mrhrk01 What's a Dremel?

No worries, if my suggestion was useful then great.
    I would suggest trying to find reviews about those Monitors on Bit-tech or other forums/reviews sites.

6. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

Well reviews of the Samsung were hard to come by, so I guess I will rule it out.

The LED was equally hard to find reviews on - if anyone has compared an LCD to LED LCD, please respond

The LG (not LED) and ViewSonic come out about equal, with one reviewer worried about colours on the viewsonic, and another worried that the LG is being made from a lower quality screen since they reviewed it.

On top of that the 23" version of the LG sits at £153 on amazon, is bigger and has a better response time.

7. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

in the quality range you're looking at, LED or not does not really make a difference in image quality. the only real world difference you'll experience is a smaller power bill, but not by that much.

also, reponse times. dont stare blind on it. as long as it is under 15ms it's ok for anyone but the fastest videomakers and 1337'est gamers. and there are a few ways of calculating them (black-to-white, color-to-color, grey-to-grey,...) so don't get fooled.

and i have no clue about any of the screens you found. i'm sorry.

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

All LED should change in theory is limit the amount of backlight bleed-through, so blacks will seem blacker. Apart from that they'll be just the same as any TN pannel.

9. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

Ah, thanks for shedding light on the LED (puns are awesome)
    I guess that puts the 23" LG into the lead.
    I'll place an order next week.

Thanks for your input if you replied