1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitors gone bad.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by markles077, 22 Apr 2006.

1. markles077

markles077 What's a Dremel?

Hello. I have had my good, 'ol Gateway EV910, for quite a while, and today, the craziest thing happened. I came in from working on my goped in the garage, and turned the monitor on. The screen flashed a white blob, with other colors radiating from the edges, almost similar to a spot of oil on a wet parking lot, and switched off. Thinking it could do no harm, I pressed the power button again. No thing came up, the power LED stayed amber, and a yellow/orange glow began to come from the rear... I repeat, the rear of the monitor. Knowing this cant be good, I jumped under my desk and tripped the surge/powerstrip that powers my monitor, and the glow stopped. I was greeted by a somewhat funky aroma. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    What happened? This can't be good. Does anyone have any experience with glowing monitors? Thanks for you're time. -Mark McLean

2. LogicalJester

LogicalJester What's a Dremel?

When you walked into your garage, did you happen to be carrying some depleted uranium? Otherwise it sounds like your monitor doesn't want to be a monitor anymore and as such should be deleted permanently. I wouldn't even plug it in again.

Either that, or someone is playing one hell of a prank on you!!

3. markles077

markles077 What's a Dremel?

:confused: Nope. No uranium. It's at the local waste disposal place, and I'm sure it wasnt a prank, as I'm was the only one in the house at the time. It's really scary to have a monitor start glowing and smoking... :grr: , but methinks ill have to get a flat panel LCD soon, so all is not lost.