1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Monitors not always detected when turned on

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Elledan, 22 Mar 2016.

1. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

I recently built a new PC with triple monitors. The basic issue is that occasionally (every ~10th time or thereabouts), one or two of the monitors (no pattern to which ones) will not be detected and the desktop will be reconfigured to just use the remaining monitor(s). Since this reshuffles all windows on the desktop, it is rather annoying.

System specs:
    - Intel 6700K
    - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
    - 32 GB RAM (HyperX, 2,666)
    - MSI GTX980 Ti Sea Hawk
    - 5 TB OS drive
    - 1 TB storage drive
    - 3x Dell U2515H (connected via DisplayPort)
    - Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate

Things I have tried:
    - swapping the DisplayPort cables: no dice, same issue remains.
    - installing new GPU drivers: no change.

At this point it's mostly an annoyance as the system is otherwise stable. It would be nice if I could turn on all three monitors every time without one or two failing to be detected until I turned them off and on again.

I have consulted the Google a lot the past months, but without luck. I can't be the only one with this issue, can I? Maybe it's because I have a triple-monitor setup?

Thanks in advance for any ideas :)

2. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Got another GPU to try that supports 3 screens?

3. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Nope, this is the only GPU I have which supports 3 monitors... I used to only have laptops before this build :)

4. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

I've been setting up a 4 monitor configuration for our control room and found that I had to use active adaptors to get all 4 to work at once.

Do you know if your DisplayPort cables/adapters are active or passive?

I found it was in the small print of the card that the first 2 can be passive, but the next ones had to be active to get them to work.

5. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Is there such a thing as an active DP-DP cable? They're just cables...

6. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

That's what I thought too :)

I can only find Active DP to DP cables in long lengths (15m) so you might need to go down the route of active adapters which I what I had to do.

MiniDP to DVI Active adapters are quite easy to get hold of, if a little on the expensive side (cost us about £28 each).

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I'm suspicious it may be the monitors, as I have a similar issue with my Dell U3014 and I'm pretty sure it's not exclusive to that model. Dell = shoddy as 'ell.

When I boot into Windows I often find that there is no signal to the U3014 and I have to cycle the power to get it to pick up a signal. Somewhat more seldom (thankfully), the signal actually drops out when the PC is in use, and I have to do the same again to get the monitor back up. If it gets to the stage where the monitor is not usable, I'll have to invoke the warranty agreement (again)!

This is what I get for getting a Dell instead of a £1600 NEC. :)

8. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Yeah, the whole 'Dude, you got a Dell!' thing :D

I had good luck with my U2412M monitors in the past, though others reported issues with its DisplayPort input being flaky (I used VGA/DVI). The U2515H is nice because it offers 1440p resolution in a 25" package (first in its class). That it's also really cheap considering the specs was just a bonus.

I guess I can harass Dell about it, see what they say. Not looking forward to a lengthy swapping quest with uncertain outcome, though. Makes the occasional rearranging of one's open windows seem like a trivial matter :)

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Definitely. I have to do the exact same thing with my desktop icons if the problem occurs, but I'm happy to do it because when the monitor actually works as it should, it's 2560x1600 in glorious hardware-calibrated colour.

It's just...Dell. My experience tells me just take what you get, or buy something more expensive. :D

10. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Yeah, when it works it's great for a low, low entry fee :)

Even with these cheap U2515H monitors, I already spend enough on monitors since I had to get three of them. I haven't even added up the full costs for this year's full system build, but I just wasn't feeling like spending 2-3x as much per monitor. There was also the thing that it was the only 25" monitor in existence, but I'm pretty sure there are new options now.

Maybe in a few years I'll upgrade to new monitors and splurge $TooMuchMoney on three of the best 20+-bit monitors or something :D

11. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I have a similar issue with my Asus 4K monitor, and it's pretty much identical to the issue that Lenny has.

Most of the time I boot my pc and the 4K monitor will not display anything, but the 1080p monitor does display the desktop just not the full desktop.

In order to get it to work I have to pull the power on the monitor and plug it back in, but sometimes I have to do that 3 or 4 times to get it to display anything.

It will also when switching from the HDMI input to the Display Port input, do the same thing but all I do is leave it for a few seconds and then it will switch back to the HDMI, and adjust the desktop to the 1080p monitor, and then I switch back to the Display Port input and it works fine.

To be honest if it was not for running the monitor at 4K 60Hz, I would not be using Display Port and I would be on HDMI.

Personally I won't be buying another Asus monitor as whilst this may be a issue with the Display Port input's on multiple different monitors, with everything that is happening with Asus and there high refresh rate monitors, it has put me off them.

I have been told about adaptive display port cables but I cannot find one that isn't stupidly long, but apparently that can solve the issues.

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I don't think it's to do with the interface, as my U3014 does it on DVI too. I'm only using DP because I haven't bothered to change it back after changing my graphisc card. :lol: IMO the problem boils down to cheaply built hardware with half-assed firmware.