1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Monster Truck Case - Some Final Pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 27 Sep 2010.

1. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Hey Everyone! I'm back with another mini ITX scratch build. If you recall, I did one for my daughter: a Kai Lan themed case. Well this one is for my son, and will be a monster truck themed case, built much in the same way, with stacked laser-cut acrylic pieces. Here are some mockups out of Sketchup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moddersmart cut me some acrylic according to my vector files I sent:
    [​IMG]

I got some real rubber R/C monster truck tires from RC Planet online. These things are 3 1/4" wide x 6" diameter.
    [​IMG]

For hardware, I'll be using this Jetway mobo sent to me from Bit-Tech (as a prize replacement for a 220v psu)
    [​IMG]

To show you how big these tires are, I set one next to the mini ITX motherboard lol:
    [​IMG]

For power I turned to short-circuit.com once again for a picoPSU/power brick combo:
    [​IMG]

The Crucial DDR2 800 4Gb memory kit and 64Gb SSD combo worked so awesomely in my daughter's case, I saw no reason to choose otherwise for this build. :)
    [​IMG]

And of course, one cannot have a true miniITX build without one of these slot-load, slim-line DVD-ROM drives.
    [​IMG]

Here I'm placing the parts onto the base to see where things will fit:
    [​IMG]

...with one edge piece layed on:
    [​IMG]

...more...
    [​IMG]

...with the top layers on...
    [​IMG]

...and the tires in place:
    [​IMG]

Of course, I will have the body and fender pieces on both sides of the case, since it will be sitting on all 4 tires.
    I'm going with a Grave Digger theme because a: my son likes that one the best, and b: it's one truck in which I can fit the components rather easily, thanks to its shape.

More to come this week as I work on adding some mesh to the outer pieces.

Waynio and AnG3L like this.
  2. tkgclimb

tkgclimb man it's all harder than it looks

Looking good, I think I just got the exact same optical drive for my mini itx case.

If you really wanted to go all out, you could find a way to make the wheals spin.

3. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

Spinning wheel on the car in a boy room might be risky for the PC.
    I can already see his friend "Oh nice a big car ! but can it go down the stair".

4. wormy

wormy Minimodder

That looks great. Looking forward to seeing it finished. Is your daughter's build on here too anywhere? If not, do you have pics to post?

5. Razarach

Razarach Minimodder

looks great ;)

6. Boddaker

I just updated it with final pics. Not sure how I forgot to post them up before lol! :blush:

7. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I will not comment, I will just watch..... closely! ;) +1 just for start!

8. Boddaker

You just did lol :p

9. Dahl1n

Dahl1n What's a Dremel?

This locks nice :) i will follow :)

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol: If you spoil one kid...
    I like. You are having a lot of fun with the layered plexi technique.

11. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

12. Boddaker

Thanks guys!

Working on the mesh for the inside, got one side done.

Had some old mesh sheet lying around so I decided to use it (kinda rusty lol)
    [​IMG]

After cutting the pieces out, I used a wire wheel to get the surface rust off them, and I ground the edges down. They will eventually get a coat of black paint.
    [​IMG]

Here it is from the outside.
    [​IMG]

I attached it to the acrylic with small screws. It also utilizes two of the main bolt holes.
    [​IMG]

I got my fasteners in yesterday, so I thought I'd show you how this thing will screw together. This is the middle frame piece. I got some 5/8" long threaded spacers and pressed them into the holes. Also shown are the 8-32 hex head countersunk screws of varying lengths.
    [​IMG]

Here I'm tapping some holes in the covers for the fender screws that don't go all the way through.
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of it screwed together. I had other angles, but not sure what happened to those pics lol. I'll take some more tonight.
    [​IMG]

Once I get the other mesh piece mounted, I'll move onto mounting the components.
    Cheers!

13. Blooddrunken

Blooddrunken In Flames we Trust

looking nice - will keep an eye on it. :thumb:

14. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I love it, being an r/c MT nut myself. :D

I think when you attach the wheels it might be an idea to put them on some 1/2" or 1" standoffs, just to widen the 'track width' a little for better stability and give it more of an MT stance. Seriously cool design though, so many possibilities using the layered lexan technique..

15. Boddaker

I dunno, these tires are 3" wide already, making the overall track width like 10". If I were putting a motor in it and running it down the hallway and around corners, I would probably agree to widening it a bit. But for right now, this will be a stationary mod, and won't be prone to extreme G-force maneuvers lol. :D

16. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Love monster trucks! I really should dig out my Tamiya Bullhead. Sooooooo much fun. Looking forward to this one Bod!

17. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Nice!!!

18. Boddaker

Ok, got an update for ya. Found some time this weekend to get some things mounted. After putting the other mesh on, I was able to work on mounting the SSD and DVD drives.

After some thought, I decided to position the drive along the same plane as the center frame layers. So I cut out an acrylic piece that would slide in between those layers to support the drive.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is slid into place...
    [​IMG]

And with the drive mounted on.
    [​IMG]

Moving on to the DVD drive, it will be mounted on to the base, facing up. So an L-bracket was made up to attach to the drive...
    [​IMG]

...and mount to the base. I'll be adding an acrylic piece to the other side for the drive to slide into, for added support.
    [​IMG]

You can see the slot lines up nicely with the first spacing.
    [​IMG]

The motherboard will be situated above the DVD drive, with the IO panel facing downward. First thing was to make a new IO plate out of black acrylic. Using the original as a template, I marked the holes.
    [​IMG]

Drilled pilot holes...
    [​IMG]

Then used the rotary tool for the straight cuts...
    [​IMG]

..and finally the dremel to finish them off.
    [​IMG]

Peeling the paper back to see my progress. A little more and I can advance to the filing stage.
    [​IMG]

But first a test fit. Looking good!
    [​IMG]

Before I could add the IO plate to the center pieces, I needed to glue them all together. So starting from the middle piece and using Weld-on #4, I worked my way out on both sides until I got one solid piece.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I can cut away the parts I don't need.
    [​IMG]

Here's the IO plate filed, cut-down, and glued in place. I just hope the motherboard fits the way it's supposed to now :p

[​IMG]

19. wormy

wormy Minimodder

Nice first fit on the io panel. I'm looking forward to more updates. This is looking. good.

20. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

I'm not a big fan of R/C things, but laser cut acrylic is always good ;)