1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PlayStation 4 Monthly PS Plus games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by iancowell, 5 Mar 2015.

1. iancowell

iancowell Minimodder

What does everyone think of the free games this month. Think its about time they gave us something more worth while but all in all not to bad as love abes oddest

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Short of them giving you a brand new release game for free, what more are you expecting exactly? March is giving you a pile of excellent titles.

- Abe's Oddysee New 'n' Tasty [PS4]
    - Valiant Hearts: The Great War [PS4]
    - Papa & Yo [PS3]
    - Sherlock Holmes Crime & Punishments [PS3]
    - OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood [Vita]
    - Counterspy [PS4, PS3, Vita]

Actually, I take that back. They even gave you a brand new title, OlliOll2, for free.

3. Craig_T

Craig_T What's a Dremel?

I don't have a PS4 personally, but some of the lads at work are often quite happy with the freebies. Like Cei says, granted there is a take that back... But, you're not going to get the newest big release for free..

4. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

What would you consider 'more worthwhile'?

To me they have three brilliant games in this month's list of freebies, along with some good/decent ones in the mix. If you have a PS3 and Vita as well as your PS4 then you've got some amazing stuff that should easily keep you busy for the month.

Counterspy, Abe's, Papa & Yo and OlliOlli are such fun games.
    I'd happily have those as permanent PS+ games and not bother with as many new ones each month...

5. iancowell

iancowell Minimodder

When I had ps3 i t used to be titles like tomb raider borderlands and classics like that. I know ps4 is new platform but they always seam to give indie titles now. No saying I'm not happy just hoping that better titles will appear in future.

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

The PS3 was in a different position. PS+ didn't exist for many years of its life, so when it did launch Sony had access to a whole bundle of old AAA titles that they could give away with relative ease. The likes of Tomb Raider and Borderlands didn't get on to PS+ until a long time after their retail launch either.

Sony can't turn round and give you a free copy of a brand new AAA game, because that's literally throwing £40-50 away every single time. They need to sell those games at retail first, to allow the developer and publisher to make money, and only then will it be up for a PS+ release. Personally, I'm astounded that Abe's Oddysee is available this quickly.

I'm also willing to bet you bought a PS3 late in the cycle as well?

7. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

You can't expect them to give out any big AAA titles for the ps4, since I personally feel there is still a lack of content for it. However, they have a great selection of ps3 games. I've gotten borderlands 2, tomb raider, and a few other rather well known games for nothing.

I don't own an xbox, but before they also started adding free content every month, I always felt that ps+ offered better value. We only started using ps+ when it became mandatory for online for the ps4, but we're still getting use out of our ps3s because of the free games. My brother is a very casual console gamer, so he doesn't like buying new games, so if he gets a decent title for free every month, he's very happy.

8. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Another thing to take into account along with PS+ being a later aspect of the PS3's lifespan.
    It's worth looking at Indie developers in a completely different way these days, these games coming from smaller independent developers and studios are frequently being made to such a high standard that a lot of indie titles are near enough threatening games produced by the International AAA studios.
    You're even commonly getting indie games listed alongside the big AAA games in the various annual awards.

As these smaller developers are able to produce their games with such little manpower and costs, they sell cheaper so Sony can afford to utilise their cost-effective nature as sort of stocking fillers in the PS+ service.