1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News More details released on the Xbox Series X

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 25 Feb 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Staff Administrator

Read more

monty-pup likes this.
  2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun.

Beastly.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

This makes perfect sense (about time too!)

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Not really, TFLOPs are not all that useful when comparing radically different architectures. For example, the RTX 2060 (non-super) and a factory OC RX 5600 XT are close to neck-and-neck in actual real-world performance. However, the hot-clocked RX 5600 XT will be pumping out just north of 8 TFLOPs (all numbers here single-precision) while the RTX 2060 squirting out a feeble 5.2 TFLOPs. Using the same scaling factor (0.65) would put a 12 TFLOP RDNA chip around the back of the napkin 'equivalent' of a 7.8 TFLOP RTX chip, or a hair above an RTX 2070. That then doe snot jive with other cards in the RTX and RX range which end up with differen scaling factors, making the whole mess of trying to comapre actual performance via SP TFLOP performance a wild guess at best.
    Then there's the question of whether that 12 TFLOP headline figure is just considering normal compute engines, or whether they're mixing in some the hardware RT engines (using some scaling factor to guess a 'FLOP equivalent' for the binary tree traversal units used for RT acceleration, like the vague 'RTX ops').
    The unqualified '120FPS support' is a bit funny though: presumably they mean '120Hz at UHD', but a mere 120Hz output would also apply to the regular old PS4 e.g. when driving PSVR (I guess one could make the argument the PS3 could do 120FPS as well, when in frame-packed 720p stereo mode at 60Hz 120 unique frames were being rendered, though it only output that as 1280x1470@60Hz fame-packed rather than 1280x720@120Hz frame sequential).

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

TBF though that's pretty monumental in a console.

I've been amazed of late at what my 1x is capable of. 4k 30 doesn't sound that impressive but man, 4k 60 out of a console running modern and next gen games certainly does.

I'm not going to pre order though as basically no exclusives yet. And TBH? I can't really think of one that would make me rush out to buy it either. I'll deffo get one at some point though, for the convenience if nothing else.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That's how i've always approached getting my Playstations, opting for the smaller, cheaper Slim versions some time down the line.

Consoles are handy for all sorts. I've probably used mine more for non-gaming things TBH. I've never owned an xbox though, of the two i've never seen the point (for myself) as most (maybe not all) titles were available for PC.

Times have moved on though but I have to stick with Playstations as they're now a collection :D

Not that i'd turn down an xbox.

7. Vault-Tec

The 1x has truly impressed me tbh. I was quite floored at how stunning RDR2 looks, even if it's the slowest to progress and most boring game I've ever played.

8. Byron C

Byron C Probably isn't Hitler, but definitely a muppet

Ditto on PS4 Pro, stunning game. Stick with it tho, the first few hours of the game are a bit of a slog! :)

9. Vault-Tec

I put in about seven hours. Did the yawnsome hunt about ten times before it finally told me what to do again. Then I got to a town and the way point marker just isn't working properly and I couldn't figure out what to do. It's not as fun as GTA in the sandbox sense it's kinda slow and boring.

So yeah, not sure it's for me. It's got that Rockstar problem where all it is is a massive world full of boring little mini games as quests. I was never a fan of it from the beginning, and nothing has changed.

10. Byron C

Byron C Probably isn't Hitler, but definitely a muppet

I mostly ignored all the little minigames and towards the end of the game I started ignoring the side quests also. It was the story I was more interested in, and all the additional stuff just got tiresome in the end.

Tags: Add Tags