1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos More Water Drops

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by lcdguy, 17 Feb 2011.

1. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

got bored today so i pulled out my rig for doing water drop shots. Took around 1100 pictures 10 turned out :).

http://proteous.dyndns.org/index.php/2011/Waterdrops

enjoy. And yes i am aware they are somewhat grainy this would have to do with the piss poor lighting conditions.

2. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Oooh I like! :D What set-up/camera setting did you use for these? Did you dye the water or change it on your comp?

3. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

Ok so for setup here is what i use.

Fifth Hand thingy (used for electronics work)
    Piece of Silicon Tubing (around a foot long)
    Monoject plastic syringe
    White Plate
    Various Liquids
    Food Coloring.

I basically have the tubing hanging over the top of the plate out of the FOV of the lens. I use the syringe to control the speed of the drops. I colored the water with food coloring. The first setup of drop was done with water on water. Later i experimented with first using olive oil with clear water, then moved to green water and finally ending at red water. As for the camera setup i used the following settings.

F/32 @ 1/250 on high speed continuous
    Flash set to 1/128 (flash was pointed directly straight across the room with the down bounce thingy pulled out.)

For a lens i used a 17mm-85mm Kit lens.
    For a camera i used my Canon 50d mounted on a table top tripod and a remote trigger. But like i said it took a lot of culling as i took around 1100 pictures but only 10 of them were worth while sharing. If you have the patience it's a lot of fun and can result in some rewarding shots. If you like this type of photography you should check out my first attempt (they are on my site as well)

Threefiguremini likes this.
  4. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Ah brilliant. Thanks for the info. :thumb: I'm still very much learning so it's great to see how people do things. Yeah it's definitely something I'd like to try more of in the future. I actually had a go the other day with the classic milk into coffee. Didn't get anything like your results but to be fair I just had a teaspoon of milk in my left hand, my camer in my right hand and dribbled a bit in :worried:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More experimentation needed me thinks :grr:

Actually, something I just though of if you put some more up in the future could you take a snap of your camera set up? If you don't mind and have another camera that is. Cheers

Last edited: 17 Feb 2011
  5. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

not a prob i may have another go tonight.

6. Viskey404

Viskey404 What's a Dremel?

the coffee pictures look very cool, i love shots like this.