1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News More Windows 8 details leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 21 Jun 2011.

1. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Member

As long as your not forced to use it what is the problem. My pc is mainly for playing games so I probably won't use an app store for much, if anything. My laptop runs Linux (ubuntu) and it has a centralized download centre which is essentially an app store but doesn't look too appealing to the eye, but its good at what it does. It should be a good thing really as I've spent more time in my life uninstalling and repairing computers due to people downloading spyware/malware/virui from shady websites or misleading links hopefully an app store of sorts would help reduce this happening. Really though it all depends on how its implemented but we need more info.

2. NeilJM

NeilJM New Member

...exactly?

Mobile telephone -> Mobile/Phone.
    Horseless Carriage -> Car.

Cellular telephone -> Cell/Phone
    Automobile -> Auto.

When was the last time someone told you not to use your cellular telephone whilst in the automobile?

(Aside - UK/Aus go for mobile, US/Canada for cell... any SA, NZ or others around, just for curiosity's sake?)

3. thil

thil New Member

The problem with this is that Windows only does well when it doesn't try to do much at all. All MS's best OSes (say, XP and Win 7,) were simple, minimalist foundations that let the users put what they want on their and do what they want with it.

All the people who like having their computers telling them what to do - rather than the computer doing what users *want* - moved onto Apple long ago. And those guys ain't likely to switch back to Windows, not with the Kool-Aid coursing through their kidneys.

Give me a decent foundation, MS, and I'll take it from their. Don't piss about with app crap.

Besides, copying Apple's audio system worked *so well* for MS, didn't it? All those engineers left the bitten fruit in droves to come back over...

4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Can't say I'm against an app store. The "app" term is very annoying, yes, but that's just a superficial complaint. The actual meat isn't so bad. Imagine a world where Steam not only has games but other useful programs such as image editing programs, browsers, spreadsheet programs, 3D modeling programs and more, and likely has plenty of free options despite being called a "store". That's basically what Microsoft is offering.

Going back to the "app" term, it would be fine if it really was just an abbreviation of "application". Sadly, it's gained a different connotation: A program or application is a big confusing PC thing, an "app" is a small, easy to use tool which is cheap and downloadable and serves a specific function, such as finding restaurants in your area or playing a simple game (Angry Birds, anyone?). My biggest concern would be such a mentality poluting a PC "app" store with trivial programs more suited to phones.

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Windows 8 sounds like it will need a massive load of tweaking after installation, I'm quite sure win 7 could keep everyone going until at least 2013 also, I'm just not impressed after win 7 being such a good home OS, win8 sounds much worse than vista ever were vista needed some tweaking to get it to win xp/7 stability/performance standard, I even had to apply some tweaks to win 7 to get it to my liking but pretty simple ones that were just little visual aspects so not as much hassle & just glad MS left hidden options for keeping things familiar so if they keep up with that then no big problem but if they completely remove the hidden options by tweaks then I'll have to consider switching to linux or even quitting computers & do something better in life.

I don't like IE9 with it's lack of a fixed search box & bad download management, big come down from IE8 big enough to finally make me go to a different browser, seems MS like to botch good functions.

Oh yeah an app store doesn't bother me neither, been calling programs apps for way longer than the mobile market has :D.

6. tcool93

tcool93 -----

I'm sick of "apps" also. I don't want this with Windows. Its become a way for companies to nickle and dime you to death... just like the airlines do anymore, and even the so called "free to play" online games that really are not free.

Also, I'm sure not everyone uses Windows with online access.

The tracking spyware is also not wanted.

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I honestly don't get how the word apps bugs people other than apple making it a more widely used word as if they came up with the word like the short expression I'm about to do lmao :D.

Been a pc user since I think windows 98 which was horribly bugged out :D & I called programs apps very shortly after so yeah a long long time before apple used it for marketing :) & anyway if that's some peoples main problem with the new windows then I think you won't be bothered by it's more unlikable bits.

A word is not a problem, cutting off some classic functionality is for those who are speedy computer operators & know how to use it.

8. Aracos

Aracos New Member

I sense a long post so better get started:

1. Please read the thread and you'll see ch424 said "And they don't stop you using the traditional method of getting/installing programs. What's not to like?". Now read it carefully, have you read it? Good. So you'll understand I was referring to the traditional route of going to the program/developers website and downloading the software then installing it manually. Glad we could clear that up.

2. Where did I even mention that software development is not a professional activity? How ironic would it be for me to think that considering I'm going to do a software development course at college.

3. Are you also implying that if you knew how to create the best bridge in the world, something that would be revolutionary in the world of bridges, you wouldn't because people don't require it and therefore you wouldn't get paid? That seems very selfish quite frankly.

1. Not once did I say I expect software for free, for example I don't walk up to adobe and say "I want to use photoshop, make it free because I said so", I use GIMP instead. I'm saying I believe in free open source software which I think you'll find millions of people also believe in.

2. This is an interesting point and really shows your ignorance, type "sourceforge" into google and click the first result, I think you'll be very enlightened about how wrong you are. As an example at time of posting sourceforge today alone has had 4,012,374 downloads..

As I mentioned before, this is microsoft we're dealing with. From my experience with xbox live and Valves words Microsoft make developers charge for DLC and will every now and then let a free DLC pack go through. I just get worried that MS will bring the same mindset of forcing developers to charge a fee for the use of their service, however small it may be.

And to CraigWatson I wasn't thinking that at the time but the having the source code of the programs accessibly through it is a brilliant feature. I was mainly refering to software packages that allowed you to install a multitude of programs, usually something for anything you want to do but all being 100% free.

9. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

You've completely forgotten they will be competing directly with Apple and Google, and less so with Linux. All of the other services you can currently use offer more FREE stuff than you would know what to do with.

Relax! :thumb:

10. weeman1985

weeman1985 Member

Forgive me if I'm being ignorant but I do have one question to ask:

If everything is free, how does the developer earn money for food?

It is a genuine question and not a troll, I really am interested in knowing how these guys survive. I use free to download programs myself, and have given donations in the past, but I still can't see how someone can survive long-term if there is no money exchange, unless they resort to advertising banners everywhere. I am not against free software in the same way I am not against paid software. If a program offers you a function you desire then you put the value on that yourself, whether that is nothing or $$$. It's always your choice.

11. Boogle

Boogle New Member

I wish more people felt like this. The whole 'free software' is having a scary ripple effect throughout the industry. I'm a professional web & app developer, and clients are increasingly expecting the Earth for minimal outlay. Large companies still realise you have to pay for the developer's time to get something worthwhile back. But small business and joe public seem to be increasingly of the belief that making a large-scale app is like building with lego, takes no time and should rival anything the corporations output. Then there are the other clients who believe their app idea is the next big thing, and will 'offer' to let you build it (for free) for a small cut of the profits.

I like opensource, I like the ideal. But the problem is it is effectively devaluing all of software development. Android in particular has a community where people refuse to pay money for apps.

12. Boogle

Boogle New Member

They don't.

Most have other jobs (or no job) and make the free stuff in their spare time.

13. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Member

like this a lot.

14. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Member

I may be wrong with this, but i see this in a similar vein to the music industry with bands,there are hundreds of bands out there touring the small gigs/pubs without getting much money for their efforts and they have a small hope they get noticed to get signed up to a big label. A lot of programmer may be doing this by getting their programs(won't call them apps) out for free in the hope someone big will notice and start paying them for their stuff.
    Just my theory

15. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Well-Known Member

FFS. I'm sick of all this "app on the desktop" rubbish. Can steam hurry up and get linux support please now?

16. jrs77

jrs77 Well-Known Member

Let's see...

I'm a professional graphics designer, I use my machine to do actual work using Adobe CS, office, browsers and some other tools.
    I do play a game now and then, but that doesn't change anything actually.

Win8 doesn't exactly sound like the OS I'm looking for in the future with all these features aiming at the multi-media consumers and gimmicky people. All these "cool" features are rather useless for a productivity environment.
    I want an OS as simple, sleek and safe as possible, and if Adobe would develop a Linux-version of their Creative Suite then I'd switch to ubuntu in a heartbeat actually. I'm currently running ubuntu 10.04 on my other machines (HTPC and office-PC) and it seems that I need to look for another distributor of Linux in the future as this new 11.xx crap is aswell headed in the wrong direction for my taste.

It's a shame that the OS developers don't think about the power-users anymore but only develop stuff for the people who use their PCs for communication and multimedia.

17. brave758

brave758 New Member

Too true.

18. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

You guys don't think Win8 will come in different flavours?

Really?

19. Unknownsock

Unknownsock New Member

But power users will tweak the OS to their liking, whilst the casual user will not.
    Whats the problem?

20. Woodlauncher

Woodlauncher New Member

What? They haven't changed it much at all!

And I don't get all the negativity on here, application stores is the new big thing it seems. You aren't required to use it so what's the problem?

Tags: Add Tags