1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News More Windows 8 details leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 21 Jun 2011.

1. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Best use of the word "app" I've seen.

Horny?......I've got an app for that!

2. Aracos

Aracos New Member

Yeah but who has the biggest market share? :D

3. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Member

Is it possible that there'll be a version of win8 for the mobile/tablet/shiny california types and then a "traditional" desktop version, without all the shiny crap ...much like win7 is now?

If I wanted an OS where the use of the word 'app' was de riguré I would have an Apple device of some description already. I do not.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

app is mearly a shortening of the word application, all the programs you run now are considered applications, or app's, does anyone really care if its called an app store, what would you like instead, prog store? doesn't really have the same ring does it.

5. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Looks like the front end of windows mobile running on top of windows 7.

No news for people who actually do real work on computers, then. Just more toys for mono-neuroned morons with mugtome accounts.

6. impar

impar Well-Known Member

Greetings!
    Prog depot. Prog shop.

7. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Freaking printers!

Well here we go again with this Windows marketplace. I can tell you know that this will be a big money maker for MS if it takes off. Personally I hate the previous info we had of win8 and now I like it even less.

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Jeremiah was a bullprog. It's Prog Night at the high school. I'm a progessional in my field. Don't look at prog at work. Better work on that progect. These puns are the progeny of my boredom.

9. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

Personally I see windows 7 becoming the next XP. Sticking around well after M$ have moved on with their shiney new system.

Personally I have no need for anything extra out of my OS. I'd happily use windows 7 until I am old and frail.

Note: I'm currently 22

10. thil

thil New Member

Is that where one purchases songs that go for more than ten minutes, change time signature fifteen times, key seven times, and probably involve a both a panflute, a synthesised didgeridoo, and are part of albums that have themes?

11. Aracos

Aracos New Member

Can't beat prog songs :D

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I like the idea of a prog store.

It'd take twenty eight minutes to find a programme, and they're all arranged in a way that tells an epic tail of love, betrayal and blue screens of death.

13. Panos

Panos Member

Before even the release of W7 MS (2008) said that it will be the last of the traditional OS distribution, and they will move to modular pay by use and monthly subscriptions. They did it with a version of Office, nothing stops them to implement it in windows. If it wasn't for games, not many people could benefit from using Windows nowadays.

As about ideas about prog stores etc, they exist in Linux for donkey years. Especially Ubuntu has one since almost day one. And free.

14. Denis_iii

Denis_iii New Member

I'd prefer everyday users have access to an APP store with applications that have been confirmed malware free and known to be good then the current situation of them downloading and installing whatever. O the headaches of IT support for work and family!

15. Denis_iii

Denis_iii New Member

I'd prefer Microsoft to release only ONE version of Windows and then purchase OS addins then the current 9+- Windows 7 versions which I can't stand.
    Also, if they can this route I can see them releasing Windows 8 low end 3rd world knocked down version for free thus reducing piracy and increasing footprint.
    I do hope to take advantage of location based services on my Win 8 tablet so what is the issue there? You don't want it, turn it off. Microsoft isn't apple and has never screwed its users like they have on the OS and Mobile front.

16. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark New Member

Actually, here in the middle of big ole' America, everyone I know over 40 calls a cellular phone a "cell phone" or "mobile phone". But everyone I know 30 and under refers to a cell phone as a "phone", period. We call corded phones "landlines", usually while spitting in disgust (whereas, the old folks call corded phones just "phones".) Landlines are nearly obsolete for personal use (they still make sense for buisiness use though).

I don't understand why anyone has a problem with "app". I've heard it used before, on occasion, for years, long before the iPhone.

I for one think an app store for windows is a fantastic idea. Think about all the long-distance family tech support you do. My mother is two hours away, when she needs to install something I have to talk her through over the phone, and she gets nervous about downloading things from websites. Imagine having an app store she can trust, all she has to do is click on it and it installs. And lets face it, the current method on Windows has been a mess for decades. Just letting programs install whatever they want wherever they want? I would much prefer apps that have to install all thier dll's, files, whatever exactly where they are told, and the app store can see all of that, then when it comes time to uninstall, the app store knows exactly every file to delete without leaving all the garbage behind.

Then again, Android already does all this... if I can just get more advanced games or Steam on Android, I will finally have no use for Windows ever again...

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

The new windows will be great for newbs of all ages, although it won't surprise me to get calls still from mates or family :D I think it's those of us who don't rely on official tech support & just help each other on forums who are irritated by the first impressions look of it but they only showed us that part of it so many got a slight overwhelming feeling of "WTF have they done to it" lol, with it looking overly simplified & showing lack of keyboard mouse usage like they turned windows into a console just for the sake of making it look new, I think it's just a very bad introduction to the new windows I think but good to people who like things simple (really simple when we all know an OS isn't) don't get me wrong simple is very often great, it would be nice to not need be the tech guy when they need help :D I've always got better things to do really :hehe:.

An app store is a great addition as like Lazarus said there are many people very unsure about what is safe, I think MS will charge top whack prices though for the convenience :hehe:.

Only reason I keep up with newer versions of windows is so I have all the new updates that make it more stable, vista was nice once tweaked but still had a little instability so sure wasn't good straight out of the box but the only time I've suffered any BSOD on win 7 is with a bad overclock or faulty hardware so win 7 is quite the perfected version of windows imo so would be nice to keep on with it for a couple extra years at least without being held back by certain features like directx, light hearted security fixes & what not, it was also quite expensive unless you caught 1 of the decent pre-order deals which I did but purely by chance, it's bad enough keeping up with the hardware costs so thinking of regular windows releases isn't very good neither although if they keep it so win 7 users keep getting important updates including directx I'll possibly skip win 8 if possible, depends on if it offers me something win 7 doesn't which I'd actually use.

Things I like about win 7

Snipping tool - lovely little app that saves me time without the need to crop.
    It went through a heavy mass beta testing before it went retail & it proved to be an excellent move by MS, only BSOD I've had with it was when hardware is faulty or badly tweaked or duff drivers.
    Some nice features in games on dx11.
    Tweaks to keep on with an old style toolbar while having an up to date windows, so some tweaks let me have the nice look of the new windows but with all the functionality of old, it's flipping great, faster than me & very functional.
    Quite a lot of other things that don't spring to mind :).

Things I don't like
    The green bar of nothingness in folders with a load of media in is still in win 7 as it were in vista, but I tweaked it so I don't have that problem & everything is instant with the reg tweaks.
    Internet explorer 9 although this came along during win 7's life time - I miss the search box massively as it kept what it was you were looking for so was very useful & don't like the 1 box for all especially when it picks things it thinks I want, it has been wrong every time AI=artificial dumbass imo :D not miles off the mark but still nowhere near accurate enough, I don't want to install 3rd part stuff just to get that simple search box back, I tweaked it so it doesn't do this but it came back to annoy me lol.
    A few other things that don't spring to mind :).

I think that is all really :) so I think that sums up why I don't feel a need for a new OS yet, I'd say it's just MS wanting more money which I understand perfectly, they gotta make money.

But the features they have shown don't justify a new OS for me, not by a long way, just too soon after win 7 imo really but I'd see things clearer when they show what extras it can do for those of us who aren't total newbs :hehe:.

18. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Germany and the Netherlands aren't exactly native english country's but...

The dutch word for a mobile phone is a mobile. ("Mobiel" or "Mobieltje")
    German's actually invented a nice, english sounding :D word that nobody else uses: "Handy"
    Swiss used "Natel" for a long time, I think this was the company to first introduce mobiles?

Nope...Dutch and Germans as well :D

The task you're quoting is the OS's task, not the App-stores. The OS should know where it installed something. ;)
    Also you realize this is windows default...
    Install everything in C:/Programme's/
    Current windows lets you change this.
    You ask for it to be not changeable.
    So you want to clutter your fast C: drive with 200GB worth of games?)
    Copy all pictures to C:/Documents... 500GB of pictures on my bootdrive pleassse? :D

19. jhfire

jhfire New Member

I develop software and sell it for $20 a pop. I get a great amount of money from doing this. I spend this money on food, rent, bills, and alchole. There was a time where I thought the same thing you did, until I started having a life. I also started getting leechers who would not say thanks, even though 500 people downloaded it I would get about 20 thanks and not even a $1 donation. It wasn't that it wasn't that great, it was just the fact people really don't care and are greedy.

If you haven't noticed we kind of live in a world that loves money. In order to eat we have to buy food, in order to keep warm we have to buy electricity, in order to get to work we have to buy gas, in order to do a lot of things we have to have money. Where does this money come from? It sure wont come off of my money tree that good old leprechaun gave me to support me in the real world.

I just wanted to let you know, we are not all rich or well off to just sit at a computer and develope software on our spare time.

Tags: Add Tags