1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Motherboard advice appreciated.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dangak, 27 Sep 2010.

1. dangak

dangak What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I am about to embark upon a new build; but am unsure of which motherboard to purchase. I am looking for socket AM2/2+/3 with DDR2 support and USB3. I would also like SATA 6Gb/s but I can't seem to find anything that fits all these criteria. Does such a board exist and if so, does anyone have any recommendations?

Alternatively I would consider an Intel-based motherboard if this was the only route I could take.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If your are going with an AMD processor, then obviously Intel wont' make a chipset for it.
    Go with AMD chipset.

Gigabyte has a wide variety of high end motherboards that fits your need:

I don't know much about AMD chipset (which is best for the price and your needs), but here is an example:
    http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3519#ov
    It features:
    - 2x eSATA ports that is also a USB 2.0 port (combo ports, 2 in one)
    - SATA 3.0 (6Gbps) as you wanted
    - SATA 2.0 (3GBps)
    - 2x USB 3.0 ports
    - Up to 14 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (8 on the back panel, including 2 eSATA/USB Combo, 6 via the USB brackets connected to the internal USB headers)
    - 2x Ethernet controllers
    - 2 Oz Copper layering for better board cooling and ground
    - Using Ferrite core and Solid Capacitors made in Japan
    - And more.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You can't get DDR2 support and USB 3/SATA 6Gbps. You need an AM2+ socket and barely anyone sells one of those boards anymore. Right now pretty much all AMD stuff is AM3 with DDR3.

I'm going to go offer up the alternative :p

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=GieCoWs1Eigeef6i&templete=2

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=umllTHNRm4IGqnbL&templete=2

That pretty much does the same.

Or there's also:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=eCWbkolMf0DOW0IV&templete=2 which is very good! We've got a review on here somewhere.

4. GoodBytes

Oh DDR2.. I miss read as DDR3. hehe, sorry :)

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

gigabyte, nuff said

ಠ_ಠ

6. dangak

dangak What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the quick replies! The reason I want DDR2 support is because I have 6GB of OCZ sticks that I bought 18months ago that I want to recycle... they are still great for my needs. I didn't realise that it was impossible to get an AM2 board with SATAIII and USB3. Looks like I'll have to consider investing in DDR3.

Can you recommend a good model in the m-ATX form factor should I want to stick with DDR2/AM2? I've been scouring the Bit-tech reviews but all seem to have tradeoffs, whether it be overclockability, power consumption etc. The criterion most important to me would be low power consumption, as the PC will be on a lot of the time. I'm not a big overclocker but I'd like to be able to stretch the CPU and RAM just slightly for an ounce of extra performance. I'm willing to sacrifice the SATAIII and USB3 support if there is a stellar quality motherboard that is still available to buy out there - as I think I can buy a SATA PCI card when required.

7. dangak

dangak What's a Dremel?

Anybody?

8. GoodBytes

As mentioned, Gigabyte has a variety of motherboard that best fit your needs in different formats. They are all very solid boards, aimed at computer enthusiasts. You won't get a "bad" motherboard with any of them. Same for ASUS. Their market share is people that overclock their system. The question is how far you want to overclock. Crazy overclocking boards and packed with features are usually ATX format as it needs room for this stuff (including large heatsink).

9. dangak

dangak What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the help everyone - I'll post what I've decided on in due course.