1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboard, Graphics Choice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by corvette, 5 Sep 2007.

1. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

I want to upgrade to an intel system now that ive had my 4800x2 since the day noah launched his ark

this is what im looking for, atm i have a 7800GTX Ultra XFX OCed version. i want somthing that will be better DX10 best bang for buck

and what would u guy reccomend the best mobo is

2. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

mobo does not do DX10. GFX card does. And if you want a Very good GFX card then wait until Christmas and buy a nVidia 9800GT (X/S).

3. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

I no that the mobo doesnt do GFX but i want a good 1

4. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

budget & what is available to you?
    P35 chipset is best atm but X38 is being launched in a week or so & that should be better albeit dearer.

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

your graphicscard is better than all current midrange cards....

so.. either you got the budget for a 8800 GTS/GTX or 2900 XT or i would recommend sticking with the card you currently have until the next gen high end cards are released and current ones come cheap...

dx10 is a waste atm... if you have it on a highend card... ok.. but on midrange cards you gonna have to turn the lil extra eye candy off anyway due to bad perrformance.

as for the rest of the system....

the Abit ip35 pro would make for a good choice as a mainboard.. it got everything, overclocks like there would be no tomorrow, runs stable, cheap...
    or if you want to save some money you could get a Gigabyte p35 DSR3...

ram... well... thats where you have plenty of choices.. currently crucial and ocz are pretty much the cheapest (but also some of the best) in the DDR2 8500 Category....

as for the cpu... well.. depends on the budget...

either a cheapo dual core... E6550 (2,33 ghz 1333 fsb) or a bit higher the 6850 (3ghz dual core 1333 fsb) or for the same price as the 6850 the Q6600 (2,4 ghz quad core 1066 fsb)....

Last edited: 5 Sep 2007
  6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

best bang for your bucks is the 8800GTS 320MB (currently, until proven the 320MB is not enough)

see it's X38-P35 transition time, the chipset of your motherboard depends on when you are planning to buy.

btw, can you posting using your mobile phone? it's really annoy to read text message instead of proper English

7. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Don't go for the Ultra version of the 8800, its waaay overpriced for what you get, the difference in preformance betwwen an Ultra and a GTX simply can't justify the difference in price - unless you can find the Ultra at a knock down rate. Besides you could probably get the GTX and overclock it passed the specs of the Ultra anyway as long as you make sure its well ventilated.
    DX10 games are so thin on the ground just now its not worth upgrading just for that, at best most of the games have been patched to DX10 and have wildly varying rates of success. Some of the Mags are saying that certain games actually perform worse with a DX10 patch so its clear that there is still a long way to go for both patches and drivers before we get to graphical nirvana. However, if you do buy a spiffing new graphics card, you can run your DX9 games at full blast and enjoy them as the developers intended.

Your choice of mainboard depends on too many other variables to give specifics but I would agree that you should wait and see what the X38 boards can do before you jump in and buy one.