1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboard Opinion wanted...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by my58vw, 11 Sep 2005.

1. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Alright,

I am upgrading the processor again for my dad from a socket A Athlon XP (3000+) to an Athlon 64 (3200+) after the processor died. I was using a Abit NF7S board and I am looking for something of comparable quality.

Althlon 64 3200+ Socket 754 512k
    Radeon 9600 XT graphics card (AGP)
    Kingston 1 GB (512MB x 2) ram, dual channel setup

I am using a HSF combo that requires the little holes on the side of the socket, possibly water cooling later.

He is not willing to go to PCI-X so it will have to be AGP. I have searched the forum as usual for a while before asking :search:

Thanks as always!

2. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

dfi lanparty UT250gb socket 754 is probably the best 754 mobo around.
    i use one and its been great. its got pretty much endless capabilities too if you wanted to overclock etc. and its pretty cheap nowdays too. the msi neo is a pretty good one too.

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

If you dont want to overclock, I can recommend the Asus K8V deluxe... rubbish BIOS and chipset for overclocking, but soooooo stable.. i dont think i've ever had a serious system crash since I built it over 2 years ago. Rock solid, and some great features too.

Looks cool in wondowed cases with UV too... a little like the Lan Party... dark blue with reactive yellow bits. One of the most sensible, well thought out board layouts as well.

4. Fibbles

Fibbles New Member

Why is he not willing to go PCI-E? He's going to have to upgrade the GPU and mobo anyway if he upgrades in the future :confused:

An x600 Pro is around the same price as a 9600XT, so it's not cost effective to stay with AGP :confused:

The DFI NF3 250GB is inbetween the MSI K8N Neo 3-F and ASUS K8N4-E (both are PCI-E x16 boards) price wise - the MSI is a good deal cheaper and the ASUS is only slightly more expensive.

Of course it's his money and can do whatever he wants, but I had a similar issue when my P4 mobo died on me. I went with a socket 754 AGP setup to keep my current parts, but if I could do it again, I'd have gone with PCI-E so I'd never have to worry (for a few years at least) about needing to buy a new mobo just to upgrade my video card :clap:

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Oh don't buy into 754, it's already dying out.

And definately don't stay with AGP either, but if you must, let me e-slap him upside the head first to try and e-knock some e-sense into him. The only argument would be so he can keep the card he has, but looking at how much of a performer a 9600-series is, umm, WHY?

6. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Because he is...

1. Not a gamer
    2. Does not have in his budget for a new graphics card
    3. Is cheep
    4. Does not care about upgradability, wants a faster processor now and would rather swap out MB/Chip?Graphics, etc than buy a new graphics card now.
    5. Did I mention cheep.
    6. And that he spends 90 percent of the time on the internet of using quickbooks running the business on this machene.

BTW we own a computer business dealing with lower end pcs mainly. Since the typical PC runs about 500 - 600 dollars we sell he does not want to spend 600 dollars on a new graphics card, MB, Chip, etc.

He decided to go with the DFI board for a little OCing and not much more.

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Still, seeing how soon 754 will come to an end, it doesn't make sense to NOT go 939.

8. Fibbles

Fibbles New Member

If he's no gamer, what's with the 9600XT? Any cheap solution can deal with business stuff, heck, even onboard graphics are fine for that.

9. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

id say stick with a mobile Athlon Xp system(as u have the parts allready) or try a Skt745 Sempron/A64 system....but Sempron seems better and cheaper.