1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Motherboard Painting

Discussion in 'Modding' started by hacker 8991, 8 Jun 2004.

1. danmagicman7

danmagicman7 What's a Dremel?

HDDs are airtight and manufactured in clean rooms. If there is an air hole in one, it does not touch the platters, which means that it would be impossible to get spraypaint on the platters.

It clogs the filter, which means air can no longer go in/out of the HD.

I'm not trying to flame i am just thinking out loud.

I'm just saying that a large layer of paint isnt necessarily...well good for your computer. Paint insulates heat...you just have to be careful how much you use.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2004
  2. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

hmm. imagine why he TESTED IT BEFORE ON A OLD MOBO. jesus.

basically, if it were me, i would prolly use uv reactive- and do a speckle paint job.. less paint, less heat and i would most likely take the heatsinks off and not get paint on those. i think it kinda looks messy.

but i wouldnt paint over the stuff like capicators the mosfets or the chips.. just the PCB and resistors and the small stuff... i would do alot more taping than he did (then i would get some UV reactive pens and paint over that)

i think it would look alot neater this way. i would prolly just order some green or white heat spreaders (and not paint over the ram CHIPS on the ram dimms... that just dosnt look fun to me =\

theres a few things that id do different if i had the time, but he likes it, and it works for him. so let him do what he likes aight man? :eyebrow:

i think you got balls man. as for me, all my warranties are gone anyway, so i might get some UV paint and try it myself =) :duh:

3. autocan

autocan What's a Dremel?

4. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 What's a Dremel?

Ooo so constructive. Are people still angry that I can apply paint to electronics, or are they just sad because they cannot?

Please, if you are going to bash me, at least tell me why. I am trying to write a guide here. You do not have to follow the guide.

- tf

5. danmagicman7

Im just pointing out the setbacks, what i do best :D

I'm not saying i don't like his mod, i think its cool, just i don't think its great for electronics.

Where did i say what he did was bad? No where. I just said it may cause problems.

P.S. I wouldn't paint the RAM, its too expencive and gets hot! Use some cover on it.

6. hacker 8991

Yet again, you failed to do any research on the subject before posting. Heat spreaders on RAM, more often than not, trap air underneath them and cause the RAM to overheat. A thin cover of spray paint will have little effect on RAM, which is not the hottest part of the system.

For those of you that are still waiting for the conclusion to part 2, just wait. The weather has finally cleared up, and I can finish the guide.

- tf

7. danmagicman7

Why do companies install them then?

8. hacker 8991

Because they look cool, and they can put more labels on them.

- tf

9. Gecko

Gecko What's a Dremel?

I feel i ahve to say this, but that gigabyte motherboard looked amazing before, how do i know? becuase i;ve got one, i would never ever ever think about painting it. It looks horrible when its been painted. :wallbash:

10. danmagicman7

Yea, they do look cool :D

Gecko...are you the gecko from the alienware.com forums? :confused:

11. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

Can we see some shots with the case?

12. hacker 8991

Have you seen one painted before?

Who said anything about a case? But, just for kicks, here are the finished pieces so far:

[​IMG]

- tf

13. Robzilla

Robzilla What's a Dremel?

I don't have the balls to try somehting like that now.

Impressive none-the-less. I like it! :rock:

14. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

i love the way you have executed this so far!
    and good choice on the colour white!

15. Gecko

Gecko What's a Dremel?

Yeh, i have, as well as your painted peices, and i dont realy like it. But that is my persoanl preferance, i just like the colours the board is in before.

16. NoodleNogin

NoodleNogin What's a Dremel?

Are you going to do somthing on that white? It looks a little boring, kinda like a hospital ward.

For those of you that are going on about paint trapping heat. Why don't you look up the coefficient of thermal conductivity of paint and calculate how much effect the paint will have on heat dissapation before making assumptions.

17. hacker 8991

Yay for a noob that did some research!

I do realize that the white looks kind of bland, but it is the accent color to the main color of this: green. If I put this into a case, which I probably will, it will be painted green so that the white hard drives will not look so bland. One reason why I went with white and green is because you don't see those colors too often in computer modding. Everything is dark and techy. Just my preference, though.

Welcome to the forums, NoodleNogin! :clap:

- tf

18. hacker 8991

It has finished drying!

Here are some pics while I write up what is left of the guide:

[​IMG]
    Here it is, all put together and sitting on my desk.

[​IMG]
    This is a bird's eye view that shows most of the connectors.

[​IMG]
    Another shot of the connectors, with the finish of the paint being very obcious (matte).

[​IMG]
    All plugged in an blurry. It works, as shown by the spinning fans.

[​IMG]
    Another blurry shot of the spinning fans.

[​IMG]
    Just to prove that it works, the monitor is plugged in.

[​IMG]
    The ceremonious task of installing Winodws XP Professional.

Well, it is finished now. I am going to install Windows and burn it in to make sure that no parts are getting too hot. I'll finish the guide soon.

- tf

19. hacker 8991

The shutter time with the flash is so short that it does not capture the fan spinning. In the last 2 pictures, appears that no fans are spinning, but I took some long exposure shots to try and show you. I thought that this was a well known fact, but whatever.

Anyone got anything to say?

- tf

20. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Very good guide, but a better way to paint over the connectors than what you have stated would be to mask off the entire top, and then get a matching acyrlic paint and do it manually, insted of via spray. I noticed that a lot of your connectors just look.... Un-professional? But good effect overall.

Tags: