1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Motherboard Painting

Discussion in 'Modding' started by hacker 8991, 8 Jun 2004.

1. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

Looks nice, but I would paint it in camo and weather it :naughty:
    but that's just me ;)

Cheers,
    Mike

2. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 What's a Dremel?

I am probably going to touch up the connectors with some regular paint, but that will come later, maybe when I turn his into a project. They look pretty good anyways.

- tf

3. hacker 8991

Sony DSC-P72. Pretty good camera :D

- tf

4. UberDude

UberDude What's a Dremel?

Killer Dude!!! Lookin' good so far. And I'm sure it will look even better when it's progressed further into a system. Let us know how the burn in goes. Looks like you have done your homework, found the nerves, and taken the patience to do it right. One piece of advice about hardrives, some do have holes in different places, but not all of them. As for the advice from L2wis, NEVER USE PENCILS ON COMPUTER PARTS!!! Pencils are made of graphite, and graphite is conductive and abrasive. Using a pencil to plug a hole in a hardrive could kill the drive by puncturing the filter, or alowing graphite to enter the drive. Keep it up and remember, a mod is never finished. :thumb:

5. hacker 8991

Wow, exuberant post.

Anyways, I found out that my hard drive does have a "breather hole," but the paint didn't effect the performance. Just for ll you naysayers :p

Welcome to the forums, UberDude! :clap:

- tf

PS - It seems like this is drawing a lot of newcomers... odd

6. SMOVE

SMOVE What's a Dremel?

Hehe, nice work, but i would have used other colors, but if you like them ;)

Now you just need a great case in which you can display this nice hardware :thumb:

7. NoodleNogin

NoodleNogin What's a Dremel?

Looking good! :thumb:
    Want to see that in a box with some lights.
    Lighting could create some interesting shadows, maybe white is a good choice after all.

8. Mr. Beta

Mr. Beta Minimodder

Nice to see that someone has gotten around to making a full guide from start to finish. Excellent job with the board and nice to see that you use different colors than the traditional black and blue etc.
    I might have to try this when I upgrade my system... :thumb:

9. sk8ero

sk8ero What's a Dremel?

what do you think about vinyl dying the PCI slots? infact all little connectors on the motherboard. I soon will be painting my PSU and cdroms with blue metallic paint, then silver vinyl dying the cdrom trays. I wud be interested in painting the tops of my harddrives and vinyl dying all the motherboard connectors. Reckon it wud work ok? When you covered up the PCI slots wat about all the little holes next to the slot, wont paint go in them and run down the pins?

tnx

10. hacker 8991

The only place that paint cannot get to is where the card contacts would meet the motherboard. That would be on the inside of th PCI/AGP slot. If paint is on the back, it has no effect whatsoever.

As for the vinyl dye, I don't know anything about it. Maybe it would work, but who knows.

- tf

11. NoodleNogin

NoodleNogin What's a Dremel?

Can you guys give me a few brand names of vinyl dye? I can't seem to find a supplier in South Africa.

12. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

Heh, thought that it wasn't just going to sit on your desk, but maby I'm wrong?

Anyways, I'm not sure if it applies to spraypaint, but I know that some other types of paint I've used in the past, most notably gold color have actually included gold particles in the mixture. Would there possibly be a great enough amount to carry a current, or should I stay away from it just to be safe?

13. MaZ

MaZ "Aye, me bottle of scrumpy!"

i dont get it. you painted it...... green.......everywhere. what did the poor board do to deserve that! :eeek: :cooldude:

14. hacker 8991

You could, as a precaution, primer the board first, then proceed to paint it with any type of paint that you want.

The board is in a case right now, but it isn't very pretty. If I get around to doing any cool things to its case, I'll let you know.

- tf

15. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

I reckon plain white would look nuts if you had UV cathodes on your case...

16. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

Yup :D It should glow a really cool pearly blue colour. I think it just has to be matt not glossy...I could be wrong though.

17. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I performned the same mod, and it worked sorta.

okay I did this on my own at about the same date, I masked and painted similarily to how it was done in the guide. (I for one didn't mask most of my pci slots since I'm not going to use 5). Anyways I did it in 2 stages I painted the mobo first. so that if that fried I would still have a fine cpu and gpu. I paint it, I throw the cards and ram etc back in, it works fine. So I proceed to paint the graphics card (radeon 9600 AIW) along witht he ram (slow pc 133 stock). Now the system woudln't post. So I swap out every part I have at disposal. It turns out my cpu was fried???
    things don't make sense
    1: my cpu was never painted and I had a heatsink always on it, it's a slow amd 1ghz it wasn't prone to being fried
    2: Everything did indeed work after the motherboard was painted, so to have the processor fail after the video card was painted makes less sense
    3: Everything blew to my knowledge blew, the mobo, the cpu and the graphics card are all dead. The only thing left is the ram, which I haven't been able to test.

I'm vastly confused. I did install the mobo in the case in between the mobo being painted and the video card. Perhaps static eletricity killed it. But yet it remains why a processor wich had no paint on it would blow, and after it had worked with the painted mobo. also to add to the mystery the board seems to still go through normal functions and with a psu hooked up. All the fan headers seem to be giving correct voltages. I'm really stumped.
    After I had just painted the mobo, I thought this was a really easy mod. IT was as simple as taping it up and throwing some paint on. but with a whole system blowing for no easily pin pointed reason. I'll probably shy away from this mod in future.
    In case your wonderin, it was $180 to replace the cpu and ram ( I have another mobo and graphics card)

18. hacker 8991

metarinka: I am sorry to hear about your loss, but it would have been caused by a number of things. I think you probably sprayed over some type of jumper, but that would not explain why it worked once but not after the video card. My other idea is that, somehow, you sprayed something on hte video card or RAM that caused it to short circuit. That, however, does not seem very likely.

On a lighter note, can you post some pictures?

For those of you that might still be cautious, my system is still running fine, after several weeks of being painted. There have been no overheating issues what so ever. The finish on the board has given my insight about how to prepare it next time, and some better ways to do the things that I did.

- tf

19. Goblin Tinkerer

Goblin Tinkerer What's a Dremel?

Hmm ive got an old p2 system lying around. Might give this a go for science!

20. AL3X

AL3X What's a Dremel?

Here comes yet another one ;)

Hehe... Just had to do that :p

Anyway, I didn't know normal paint would work, but it seems as it does..
    *Feels the need to paint something :naughty:*

Tags: