1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Motherboard suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spoonhead, 26 Jul 2011.

1. Spoonhead

Spoonhead What's a Dremel?

Hello,

Im putting togther a new system for my self. I have a AMD Phenom II X4 975 3.6 GHz Black Edition and need some suggestions for a mobo. I have a budget of £200 for the mobo, the system will be used mainly for internet surfing/watching movies including blue rays out putting to my 32" hd lcd tv. I would like to be able to do a bit of gaming aswell but dont need top end preformance.

Any help would be very much appericated.

Cheers

2. westham101

westham101 MWN Gamer

Firstly, you should of just got the 955 instead of the 975 and just overclocked it to the 3.6ghz, you would of saved quite a bit of money.

You dont really need to spend so much money on a motherboard. But if you want to go nuts
    go with either the Asus Crosshair IV Formula or the MSI 890FXA-GD70.

In my 2nd build I have the Asus motherboard and I love it!

Before buying anything make sure you read and watch reviews on the parts you
    are looking at buying. Also get opinions from other people aswell

3. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

+1 for Asus crossair IV formula - great board

Guest-16 likes this.
  4. westham101

westham101 MWN Gamer

Amen

5. Spoonhead

Spoonhead What's a Dremel?

Cool thanks guys is their any point in me going for the Asus Crosshair V Formula Motherboard vs Asus Crosshair IV Formula ?

6. westham101

westham101 MWN Gamer

Link to Crosshair IV: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131644

Link to Crosshair V: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131735

All the specs are there, includeing pictures of them and the prices!
    But I would go with the Crosshair IV if you are just going to be browsing
    the internet, watching movies and minimal gaming.

These are gameing motherboards so you dont need motherboards like these
    I would suggest something cheaper then these because motherboards have
    very minimal impact on your computers performance. But it is your decision

Here is one option: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631
    This is the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, very good board.

Another good option: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130604
    This is the MSI 990FXA-GD65.

As I said before, watch reviews on the parts you are buying to make sure that
    you are getting what you need and what you want.

Guest-16 likes this.
  7. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

I would most certainly get an AM3+ motherboard at this stage, unless you can save a good amount on an AM3 board - with Bulldozer just around the corner (September), you might as well leave yourself an upgrade path.

With this in mind, I'd get the MSI 990FXA-GD65, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, Asus M5A99X Evo or the ASRock 990FX Extreme 4. These boards have a good balance of features (all have SLI/CF support, decent heatsinks and overclocking potential, and enough phases to offer support for any TDP that AMD might release) and pricing, whereas I'd make the bold statement that you won't use any of the additional features offered by the more expensive boards.

thetrashcanman likes this.
  8. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Thats the best idea: having to wait for new tech without waiting :)

9. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

I just recently got a Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 and very impressed up to date, not missing very much at all in terms of features compared to the higher up UD5 & UD7 and it OC'ed higher than Bit's review results for the UD7 and for less $$$ :D.

10. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

this MOST DEFINITELY! + rep for the suggestion. The only thing I would say is if you care about looks then by all means get something like the crosshair V or the Gigabyte 990FXA UD7, this was one of the big reasons why I changed my motherboard from a Asus sabertooth to my current board.