1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Motherboard to unlock Phenom II 555BE?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShahJahan, 18 Feb 2010.

1. ShahJahan

ShahJahan New Member

Hello.
    I am planning to buy a PC with this configuration, though I'm not quite sure which Motherboard to choose. The mobo should be able to unlock the 4 cores and also Overclock to 3.6 - 3.8GHz. Perhaps it might require a BIOS update for that? I've read some unlocking/overclocking/stability change with a BIOS update? So it should be able to update the BIOS too? If the Mobo has USB 3.0 and SATA 3 6Gbps, then how much more will it cost? If the difference is a little, then I'll go for it. If its too costly, then I'll do without it.

Also, I'm confused about the RAM. There are different RAMs with 1333/1600MHz etc. Since I plan to Overclock to 3.6/3.8GHz which RAM should I get?

Also, if you think that something can be added/removed/changed from the configuration, then I'll appreciate your inputs :)

AMD Phenom II 555BE
    4GB DDR3 (1333/1600?) RAM
    1GB 5770 Graphics
    500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3
    24x SATA DVD Writer
    How many Watts PSU will be required for OC?

Thanks for your replies :)

2. okenobi

okenobi New Member

Personally, I'd go with an Asus because they allow independent unlocking, in case your chip only has 3 good cores and not 4. You can however, unlock with just an MSI 770.

I think USB3 and SATA3 aren't available on AM3 atm, but I could be wrong.

You'll want 1600mhz RAM and a 400w PSU will be fine, although I would probably stretch to 450/500w.

3. ShahJahan

ShahJahan New Member

Thank you everyone for your replies.

So I guess I'm done with the PSU problem. 450W.
    And almost coming to a conclusion with the RAM, that 1333 should suffice. Someone disagrees?

Am still learning about the Mobo. This link helped a lot, though could use some more help! I'd appreciate if people can please name specific board models, so that I can see what are people recommending the most. That would definitely help me with my decision. It must not have many bells and whistles, as long as it can unlock and OC to a little 3.6GHz, I'm fine with it. The lesser the cost, the better!

Thank you again everyone for your replies :)

Some of the quotes below are taken from different forums!

Thank You, I understand that. Though I'm willing to gamble!

Thanks. I've used that and found that my Recommended Minimum PSU Wattage is 379W, so I think I'd go with a 450W PSU.

I'll go with 450W

So will a 1333MHz RAM be fine? I'll check the prices, if the difference is negligible, then I'll go with 1600MHz. But if there is difference in performance, then I'll go with 1600MHz only!

If a board has a BIOS that doesn't support unlocking, can I change the BIOS?

4. ShahJahan

ShahJahan New Member

OK after going through all the suggestions (thanks for it), I think that Asus M4A785TD-V EVO $100 is the motherboard that will suit me. Since I'm not gaming, I've decided to save $200 by removing HD 5770 GPU. And since the mobo has IGP HD 4200 with 128MB shared, expandable to 512MB shared, so it should be able to play videos at 1920x1080 res(?) Anyone has experience with this mobo? And how are Asus mobos in general? Are they worth a buy?

The other contender here is Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H $95, the only difference I can see is that it has just one PCIe slot, which is why I'm giving Asus a preference. Rest its the same.

But I need a go-ahead from someone knowledgeable! Should I press the button for Asus M4A785TD-V EVO or does anyone has a better (in terms of price and/or features) mobo? It should be able to unlock cores, OC to 3.6GHz and have an onboard video.

How would I know if its having lower times, high mem bandwidth and tight timings? What do I look into to find it? I've seen something like 9-9-9-9
    Is this how you identify it? So what digits should I look for? They must not be very costly! Best-bang-for-buck will be good enough for me.