1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

motherboards with crosslink

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Immy, 21 Dec 2007.

1. Immy

Immy What's a Dremel?

I'm looking into purchasing a new Asus motherboard and i dont want to go the sli route. From what i have read you can either get a 680/780 nvidia chipset with an sli setup or you can get a p35 or x38 chipset with crosslink. I want a powerful gaming motherboard and i have used Asus for years, i trust them they are reliable so i dont want to use another brand.

Can you still use a single nvidia graphics card with the crosslink motherboards? Are there any performance issues or reasons why you should only use them with Ati cards?

2. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

By Crosslink I believe you mean Crossfire, which is the dual graphics solution from ATI/AMD. Crosslinx is a proprietary PCI-E lane splitter for Asus boards that allows x8/x8 Crossfire on P35 or triple crossfire on X38. Any graphics card will work in a motherboard with any chipset, right now I am using a 7900GS in an Intel chipset board, and it performs no better or worse then my friend who has one in a 680i motherboard. The only reason you need to match chipsets is for Crossfire support(needs Intel or ATI/AMD chipset) or SLI(needs nVidia chipset).