1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Is anyone in the Chichester/West Sussex area up for a ride sometime soon? I'm desperate to go out on days like this but the guy I normally ride with is a bit unreliable. Too much to drink last night so he can't go out today and I don't like going out on my own so much. Anyone close enough/up for it?

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

With an R1, the question is less "how fast did you manage to go?" and more "how slow did you manage to go?"

The temptation to do 140mph everywhere would be too much, which is why I'm going to avoid sports bikes until I'm too old/scared to use them to their full potential.

3. Asouter

Asouter --------

They didn't actually get a reading :hehe: I won't divulge how fast it was but in their statement the said they were doing 100mph and the bike was accellerating rapidly away from them.

The 748 wasn't bought for the top end, it's fast in sooo many more ways. All the cliche's about these bikes is true. It's a riding experience that few bikes can match.

Yeah the R1 is fast, still not the fastest out there but the throttle works both ways. You can tell a lot about a rider from their slow speed control.

4. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Was bumped into this morning on the way to college. I stoped at a mini roundabout, because, as I see it, the person who was straight ahead of me was the one on the right, as there are only 3 roads leading to this particular roundabout. To give an idea, I came to a stop http://goo.gl/maps/2sGuC there and was giving way to a vehicle in the same position as the white mini van, indicating right from his side, or indicating to go to my left, across my path. The car infront of me went across the roundabout, I stopped to give way, and this lady went straight into the back of me, albiet at only 5-10mph. Didn't come off, just put both feet down.

Her side of the story was that I was 'too hesitant' and she wasn't expecting me to stop. I suspect she just plain and simple wasn't paying attention.

Anyway, no visible damage to the bike or her car, so I took her details and we went our seperate ways. I'm toying over getting the bike checked incase there's anything that isn't visible damaged.

Also, should I report this to my insurance? I think they said to report any accident, regardless of fault.

5. RTT

RTT #parp

100000% her fault. If you run into the back of someone, it's your own fault - end of matter. I'd have been absolutely livid. If the bike's fine I wouldn't worry about reporting it though

6. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Thanks! Bike is fine, although one of the screws holding on my numberplate has gone walkies, only noticed it when I got home; it was fine after the accident, I'm assuming it was forced loose by her hitting me, and I just didn't notice it resting. I think I'll try and find a bolt to put through it.

It was a situation where I wanted to be angry, but I was just a bit too shocked to go into one. She didn't seem to care much, now I think about it. Oh well. Life is too short to worry about such things, as long as its not buckled the wheel or anything, which I don't think so, since I ended up doing a short motorway run earlier (And not 1 mph over 70, officer) :naughty:

7. Asouter

Asouter --------

Those number plate bolts are cheap as chips. Worth putting the right bolts in.

Speeding isn't big and it isn't clever :nono: However mingers are :thumb:

8. boiled_elephant

Unfortunately, it it tremendous fun, one of the most fun things you can (and shouldn't) do. C'est la vie.

"You were too hesitant" as an excuse for rear-ending somebody at a roundabout is moronic. If she'd been driving properly, it wouldn't have been able to happen, simple as that; I suspect she was doing the easy but very dangerous thing of watching the traffic on the roundabout more than the car in front of her.

I rear-ended somebody in exactly that way when I'd just started out riding. Unlike your insecure lady acquaintance, I freely admit that I was just not paying attention or driving properly.

9. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Yep, walked down the the local garage, got a small bag of yellow and black ones for £2.
    On the speeding note; I find it difficult enough to stay within the legal limits of speed now, and I've only got 33hp! one thing that does help is the noisy fun part of the rev band in 1st is around 45mph, doing 140000 odd. I seriously wonder how long my licence would last if I had something like a R1 or even just a boggo 600.

As I was leaving work today there were a couple of guys that pulled up on bikes; one of them came over, and it turned out he had a Gixxer 400! said mine looked very tidy for a bike of it's age. I'll take it as a compliment, certainly.
    I do notice loads of people who come in on bike's taking a good look at mine; due to the unique way things are at work, I'm able to look at the CCTV every 30 seconds or so, my bike is parked right under one of the cameras. It does, however make my heart beat faster when someone disappears behind the bike (I can only see the front on the CCTV, and it's chained on the rear wheel) although they always come out with admiring glances. I like that.

It's good as well having a chat to these customers; we're also just down the road from a bike test centre, so we get loads of customers come in who are taking riding lessons, and it's nice to have a chat with all of them.
    Takes the tedium out of work.

10. boiled_elephant

This thread contains entirely too few pictures of your bike (or they've dropped too far back to be easily seen) :)

11. Asouter

Asouter --------

I remember him talking about buying it, and I said it was very worth while. You don't see many of those 400s on the road these days, and it's something that I'd stop to look at.

12. RTT

RTT #parp

As would I, they're cool as ****

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Depends on what you get really, trade in's used to get you sh*fted.

Get it checked ASAP, or you won't have a foot to stand on.
    If she hit your rear wheel, get the runout measured. I know from experience you don't need to feel if it's out.
    Also might ruin your rear bearings a few miles on, but then it's too late.

14. Asouter

Asouter --------

SHAMELESS PLUG

Here's a pic of what I'm working on, It's a Mini Moto based PC.

[​IMG]

It's up for MOTM and it's only a few votes behind, for all you bikers out there, please take the time to look through the logs and vote. There's only a few days left and could really do with the help

CURRENT MOTM

Thanks Guys

15. RTT

RTT #parp

That's pretty sweet

16. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Agreed, if it was really 10mph, with the momentum of a car, that's a hell of a force on some crucial components.

17. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

It was more like five, I rolled forward, didn't just stop. I'm pretty certain that there's no damage whatsoever, I'm not even sure she hit the rear wheel. I'ma leave it as is for the moment.

As to pics, I would post some, but I've not got much time for riding past commuting, and pictures outside of a restaurant of a well-known franchise or outside a college aren't exactly awe inspiring and flattering. I'll see what I can do soon.

[​IMG]

That was a couple of weeks ago, just as I was about to leave college; It was the first time I got truly soaked on the bike.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  18. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

What a fantastic day, Manchester, Llangollen, Aberystwyth, Crossgates, Shrewsbury and then home - 300 miles of fine roads and beautiful weather.

19. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Where do you live Tony? I live just north of Shrewsbury :)

20. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Manchester - Sale to be precise - Mid Wales is my favourite biking destination and so I'm always skirting round Shrewsbury either on my way there or on the way back.