1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Hard to say. Could've been, was as the sun was setting. It's just nail biting for the next 2 weeks.

Also, a mention of 'ghostbikes.com' I ordered a helmet from them yesterday, just after 5pm, arrived 10 mins ago, on free delivery. Very impressed.

2. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

picked up my bandit today...125's are like pushbikes now.

3. RTT

RTT #parp

That Domiracer (sounds like something from an S&M catalogue!) is gonna be £24k and they're only making 50!

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

A question of test preparation: a local garage/test centre quoted £800 for the two days' training and the modules. Does that sound about right? Because it sounds amazingly expensive to me. It costs less than £400 overall to get a driving license, unless you're a particularly slow learner, and this £800 doesn't include the CBT and theory test costs.

I'm at the stage now of having done the CBT (4 times), done the theory test but being reluctant to do the modules because the cost is so ridiculously high - especially given that, at the end of it, all you get is a motorbike license (which is approximately 5,000 times less useful to possess than a car license).

I'd shop around, but Lincolnshire being Lincolnshire, they seem to be the only testing centre in about 50 miles...

5. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Little bit confused about the terminology there - you should not be getting tuition costs from a test centre - they are run by the DVLA.

But £800 for 2 days tuition is ridiculous. I paid about 700 for 5 days, I think, and that's on the expensive side. That was tuition from being a never ridden through to mod 2 test, excluding the test fees. £130 a day is what a good, private instructor who will actually teach you how to ride would cost. £100 a day for average "get you through the test" instructor.

6. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

That's crazy. I thought I paid a lot for 4 days for £615; excluding theory test but including everything else, including gear hire if you needed it. My instructor was, overall, good, however seemingly not the best, and the radios that they gave us were crap, they kept braking, and we'd just ride around silently for a few hours. But, I passed first time, so that's gotta count for something.

7. RTT

RTT #parp

£800 for 2 days? :hehe:

8. Asouter

Asouter --------

£800 is crazy, I know there's new elements to the test added since I took mine, have a hunt around, Instructors are a dime a dozen and you should get a better deal else where.

9. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

800 is a con, I paid about 700 in total and got a real days training every time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Ah. How many hours a day are we talking, when we say "days"? I believe the two days here equated to about 16 hours total and £800 included the tests, meaning that they're charging maybe £43/hr for training? I'd have to double-check, but those were the ballpark hours and fees.

I realise machine hire and insurance come into it, but...well, you see why I've been procrastinating the test for six years.

edit -

okay, so here's the problem with the Louth area:

[​IMG]

That big expanse of nothingness with no industry, economy, diversity, trade or expertise? That's where I live :|

Last edited: 22 Jul 2013
  11. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Well, if you want to put the training into hours, I got 28 from mine, for £615. So just over £21 per hour. Looking back at it, I paid more than that for an hour's driving lesson... for 6 months.

12. julianmartin

There's a good chance there are instructor closer that aren't on Google Maps. Ask your local bike store.

My lessons were classed as an 8 hour day I think, but I did all my lessons in the evenings, 4pm-8pm basically.Learning to ride bikes is pretty exhausting, actually, and I always preferred half days.

13. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

If I count breaks and time we actually got back my training worked out at about £14/hr :p

14. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

This is difficult to type but...

I've wrecked by bike and myself, although not certain on the first point; not seen it since the accident.

Was joining the M11 at Abridge, if anyone knows the place, a very long, almost 270 degree left hand corner, but not that sharp, like a large roundabout almost. was going round at maybe 60 mph, fully leant over, hit a huge patch of gravel in the middle of the road, lost the bike and slid shoulder first into a crash barrier.

2 ambulances, and 8 hours in hospital later revealed an AC joint separation in my right shoulder, and nasty road rash on my right knee. My kevlar jeans had burst at the seam, causing them to fly open uselessly, exposing my knee.

not got much more to say, I'm on painkillers, Muscle relaxants, anti-nausea, and antibiotics because the nurse at the hospital did a **** job on my knee and it got infected.

This was really hard to type with one hand, hopefully some updates soon.

15. RTT

RTT #parp

Jeez. Speedy recovery. Always been a bit sceptical of those kevlar jean things :eyebrow:

16. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Hope you're healed soon man, sounds nasty.

17. Xir

Xir Modder

Get well soon. :thumb: Good to hear you've not hit your head.

Leathers, man, even in the heat.

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Ouch, Speedy recovery DoDo!

19. julianmartin

Oh ****. Sorry to hear that dude. Proves the old adage about gear though - never skimp out. I nearly bought some kevlar jeans last year, glad I didn't now.

20. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Wish you a speedy recovery matey