1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. RTT

RTT #parp

Trackday @ Silverstone (full circuit) booked for the 14th aug :cooldude:

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

**** me. Hope your shoulder recovers, man. Surprised there was gravel on a motorway sliproad, that's really bad luck.

@RTT, what will you be riding?

3. RTT

RTT #parp

My trusty ST 675R :D

4. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

**** man, hope you get back to your best soon.

Ive only been riding a year (Yamaha YBR 125) and im pretty astounded how much **** is left on the roads, the island where i live is going through a multimillion pound road overhaul. Its usually gravel/substrate left floating about after they have 'completed' roadworks, all it would take is a quick sweep up!

I dont think most people get that if your on a bike, you have picked your line and are committed to the corner there is **** all you can do about debris in your path...

5. RTT

RTT #parp

Another reason why I hate them putting down that shitty weird grey/blue surface where they spray tar down then roll stone chippings into it. It leaves piles of gravel for months in the middle and sides of the carriageways, is never even especially as they just spray it over all of the existing lines/drains (etc) which makes it crazily dangerous for bikers, and wears out at 10x the rate of proper tarmac. It's called "surface dressing" or something

They've recently done this on what was absolutely perfect tarmac around the Evesham A44/A46 ring road/bypass - sheer madness.

edit: this crap:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 25 Jul 2013
  6. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

They do the job well enough, it's all I've ever worn for 12 years, including 2 big offs both of which I walked away from.

Dodo what brand were they?

7. boiled_elephant

I wore some Red Route armoured trousers for a while but a big concern with mine was that they didn't really fit tightly, they were loose enough to slide around my leg, so the knee armour didn't line up right and wouldn't have stayed in the right place in an accident.

Anyway, I just remembered: passed my 4th CBT yesterday!

Because licenses are expensive and 125cc bikes are underated.

[​IMG]

8. RTT

RTT #parp

You could presumably do a DAS with a days training or less, given 4 years experience?!

9. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

I just bought Kevlar jeans dammit! Just kidding (not about buying Kevlar jeans though).

Have to remember, the Kevlar jeans are not replacements for proper leather trousers. They are simply to bridge the gap for those who ride regular with jeans .

You should go for your full licence }0@0{ <----boiled elephant :D. after 10 years you'd spend more then a full licence cost on CBT's. + if you ever wanted a bigger bike it wouldn't be much hassle.

10. boiled_elephant

6 years*

I think so, but the only garage in reasonable distance has this "all or nothing" policy where no matter what your experience, you do about £700 of training, two full days. (a) I think they're overcharging for their time and (b) I'm sure there has to be someone else around who trains for less; just haven't gotten around to finding them yet, keep putting it off :rolleyes:

11. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

RST's, as well as the 'Slice' jacket, which allowed my arm to be peppered with gravel rash.

once I've sorted out a new helmet, my bike, and other bits and bobs, I'm gonna be looking at a dainese 2 piece.

I looked on google maps, and there's a skid warning sign just before the turn, so I've got no recourse on that.

Still gotta worry about a demolished Note 2, with around 15 months left on the contract.

Thanks for all of the well wishes, it means a lot.

My knee is almost fully healed now, I can walk around properly now, although I've yet to take the bandages off.

I've also got some movement back in my right arm, but terrible muscle spasms in my bicep.

hopefully full recovery is just over a week away, albeit with reduced strength in my right arm.

12. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Infinity do 0% finance when you spend like £400 or something. So I did that on a £650 dainese 2 piece over 10 months, and ruddy glad I am too. Once I went out for a ride, it made me realise how exposed I was before with looser textiles.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Really depends on your body size and shape.
    Dainese fit me very well (so I've got a 2-piece suit) but i can't get into alpinestars for instance (the legs are cut too thin).
    Then again, my leathers are 10y old (or older? Dainese Luce) and nowadays they have al lot of those stretchy-bits in them.

14. RTT

RTT #parp

The thing that bothers me about kevlar jeans is as well as being loose fitting - they're thin. Even if they're extremely resistant to abrasion (assuming they dont split at the seams...), they're going to transfer all of the friction heat through to your skin as they offer almost nothing in the way of layers of padding and protection so you're probably going to encounter every little detail in the surface you're sliding over.

All of the product descriptions from the manufactures say "transmits very little heat in a slide" but i just don't believe it. Never do you see any numbers offered up (transmits very little heat for a 100m slide at 60mph? Very little for a 2m slide at 10mph on a wet road on cold january morning? Very little compared to what? Sliding on your bare ass?)

Last edited: 26 Jul 2013
  15. RTT

RTT #parp

D'oh sorry :duh: Had in my mind CBT=1 year for some reason!

16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Ta, shall give them a miss and stick with my trusty Hood jeans.

If we sweated the small stuff we'd never swing a leg over our bikes.

17. RTT

RTT #parp

Definitely :thumb: Each to their own!

18. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

I recently picked up brand new RST Fusion 1 piece leathers from a friend. I sympathize with you Julian. Having worn leathers instead of my textiles I feel so much safer and 'confident,' if that is the right word! Just need to get some that fit me properly now I think! :)

After wearing them a couple of times though I suspect they're a tad big so I might sell them on and use the money towards a nice leather two piece. If anyone is in the market for them then let me know. I'm 5'9" and 12 stone and they're a tad long and large in the leg on me. In white, black and grey. :)

19. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

That's just it - crucial to try them, especially while sitting on your bike.

20. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Yeah. I did try them and went for a ride in them but it's been a gradual decision. Still, I should recoup enough from these to put towards a decent two-piece. Be a bit more practical and comfortable!

Suggestions? :)