1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

What a story!!!!

2. RTT

RTT #parp

Completely unrelated to the slaughter of innocent wildlife -

Does anyone know WTF is happening inside a gearbox when you get a dodgy shift and need to let the clutch out for the gear you went for to engage? I'm trying to get my head around it and can't quite fathom what's going on inside

A brief explanation is

* You're in 5th gear
    * Pull in clutch
    * Downshift into 4th -- you get 4th, but (crucial bit!) you then decide to go for 3rd gear (two changes in one) and keep the clutch in
    * go for 3rd, but kicking the shifter down for a second time seemingly does nothing at all, the lever moves down but naff all is going on, you're not getting that 2nd downshift into 3rd at all. bike is still in 4th at this point

to fix it:
    * let clutch out slightly, bang there's 3rd gear you were after

basically, the clutch seems to end up doing the final 1% of the shift, rather than the shifter doing the entire job.

:confused: wtf? every bike i've ever ridden a significant distance on has done this at some point. happens once in a blue moon. i don't even know what to call it, so having difficulty googling :D

Last edited: 7 Apr 2014
  3. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

Done some digging through google (given I know nowt at present!), does this sound about right? Only thing I could find that seemed similar.

4. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

This is what was happening to me on my SV a few months back if you remember. It led to some horrible crunches and false neutrals. Mine was fixed by adjusting the clutch cable so it was properly set up as well as making sure my gear changes were complete with my foot. I'd a tendency to not push the leaver all the way up and/or not let it reset, so I wasn't completing a full change (If that makes sense). Worth checking as since I've done the cable and 'shift properly' I've not had any problems. :)

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I pissed myself reading that. But the part that really made me wince was the fact that a random passing van driver happened to be "on [his] way to the abbatoir anyway". Like...this is abbatoir country, son, if you've got dead animals you need taken care of, just stand by the road for a few minutes, someone'll sort you out :worried:

edit- That gear-shifting thing happens to me on my CG125 sometimes, except for me it's immediate, not after shifting twice, and it only ever happens going up into third. I go for it and third just isn't there, leaving me revving like an idiot at low speed. Try again and the gear is back. I've found it doesn't happen so much if I'm firmer with my shifting and with the clutch. My local shop were unable to explain exactly why it happens.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2014
  6. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Aye, mine too.

I occasionally get false neutrals and sometimes it drops from 2nd to neutral, was a loose clutch cable in the end.

7. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Haven't noticed it on my SV, but that does have a hydraulic clutch so maybe it is something to do with cables. However, I'm also very used to using smashbox bikes for work, so to say I'm firm with the gear shifter would be an understatement...

8. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

70 mile ride around the island, suns out...feels good man...

9. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

So as I was riding today think a road chip went pinging of my tank, a tiny but very noticeable spot of paint has come off the side. it's bugging the crap outta me already . Anyone know of a quick easy fix or am I better off getting the thing re- sprayed?

10. RTT

RTT #parp

You can get clear plastic film paint protection kits :thumb:

11. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Not going to help after the chip though.

Touch up paint in as close as you can find? Respray could be couple of hundred and will mean bike out of action a few days.

This stuff http://www.meguiars.com/m-en works wonders on my cars - covers small scratches like they were never there.

Live with it?

If you do go for a VentureShield type product - a clear protective stick on cover - and you have the patience - then save yourself hundreds by putting it on yourself.

Start with an area like the under tray which you won't see close up too often so you can practice getting the application technique right, because you will make a mess of the first panel. Once you get good at it, you'll wonder how an installer can dare to charge £200 for fitting.

That said, while it will protect from stone chips, it's not 100% coverage, and so what you end up with is a bike with stone chips around the edges of the plastic shielding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, what do you think of the 03 Suzuki SV1000S?

Insurance seems really good for me, £200-400 comp compared to £650 I'm paying now for my 600 bandit.

They look like a bike that the owners look after, can't really find a bad example.

13. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Yeah, good bike, it's predecessor - the TL1000S was a ******* - but they'd ironed it out for that model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

I heard, the TL1000S was a beast, and so was the handling because of the frame. But the motor was supposed to be superior then the SV!

15. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Yes, the motor was a peach.

It was let down by a radical F1 inspired rotary damper on the rear shock - which allegedly caused a few crashes.

That said, a mate had one, which he rode very hard, and never reported anything untoward.

The SV was a calmed down version - but it lost some character in the transition - still a great (many would say improved) bike.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2014
  16. Trance

I own a 03 SV1000S and I love it :) Amazing engine and lovely riding position, mine is still smooth as silk even after 11 years, they have their quirks and the suspension is a bit lacking (can be swapped if you have the money though), but would definitely recommend!
    Very different from riding a 600, less 'flick-able' but far more stable.

Oh and the TL1000S wasn't called the widowmaker for no reason...

17. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Sounds like my kind of bike, what sort of mileage are you getting per tank? Also how often are you in need of new tires?

One last question, how are the vibrations, I heard that they aren't too bad especially with a thicker grip?

So far on my pros cons I've got,

Pros: Price, Engine, Reliability, Comfort, luggage options, pillion seat and of course v-twin sound!
    Cons: Suspension

18. Trance

If you don't stop then maybe 110-120 miles till the reserve light comes on, depending how you are riding of course. I'm getting about 85-90 miles before the reserve comes on average. Tires, I haven't had it long enough to know but it will also depend on what tires it has of course. Vibrations aren't really that bad, I have heated grips so I guess they are very thick.
    Oh and the lights are incredibly good, like I'm talking car illumination levels. Er, the stock seat isn't that comfortable, in fact a new seat is right at the top of my to buy list... fine for day rides, but wouldn't want to do serious miles on it particularly. Oh and that sound... Godly!

19. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

I think I'm sold on the SV (mostly because of the vtwin :D)

So cheap as well, even latest 2007 model mint is only £3k with barely any miles. Makes me wonder why they stopped selling 1000 which I'm guessing is down to the sales of the sv650.

Need to wait till my insurance is due for renewal next year then I think I'll go grab me one.

20. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

CBT tomorrow! :D