1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. RTT

RTT #parp

Just pop down to a Yam dealer, they're begging people to take them out as there's a lot of pressure to sell those things, they've bet a lot on that model :)

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Continuing my hate campaign against MCN's attitude, I was amused to see that VisorDown praised the stock exhaust's ability to keep such a powerful engine quiet, while MCN complained: "it’s far too quiet."

Too quiet! Those Yamaha scoundels, how dare they make a quiet stock exhaust? Because people who want a lot of noise are going to keep the stock exhaust, right? :sigh:

I think it says it all that their most glowing 5-star review so far this year went to the 1199 Panigale R, a bike that costs £26k and will, by their admission, only be bought by track teams looking to strip it down and race it. Way to represent the average Joe!

On another topic, do you guys bother buying replacement visors or do you just buy a new helmet? I went looking recently and I can't find a visor for my £100 helmet that costs less than £40. Kinda feels like I might as well just put the money towards a new one and benefit from fresh foam and no musty odours.

3. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

I buy two replacement visors in Feb/March every year, at about £60 each - but then my lid cost more than £100. I buy a new lid about once every 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I've yet to need to buy a replacement visor to be honest, my first helmet came with two and my current one has a sun visor and pinlock, so it'll probably be the pinlock that'll need changing first if anything.

In other news, my bike's in a for a major service and to get new Pilot Road 3s fitted, so I got an R-reg SRAD GSXR 600 as a courtesy bike. All seems fine so far, until the bike conks out on a dual carriageway, but it gets going again and I make it to Bristol where it full on dies on me. Managed to get the bike to the dealer again, and now I have a 955 Speed Triple, much better!

5. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Sounds like an interesting day out! :lol:

6. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

It was certainly enlightening to the foibles of older bikes, no thank you! Seeing as I need to go to Portsmouth tomorrow I checked over the Speed and found some rather dismaying issues... The rear caliper appears to be pretty much seized, the front pads are very worn and the brake light won't illuminate on the front lever, but will on the rear.

I've given up so I'm taking my car. I miss my (ultra reliable) bike.

7. julianmartin

What dealer was it from?!

8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

You read Visordown :jawdrop:

Shower + Johnsons baby shampoo = clean fresh smelling helmet for a whole year

9. boiled_elephant

Well, I don't...read it, exactly, but when I'm googling around for bike reviews theirs seem to be more sober and realistic than MCN's, at any rate. Do they have a bad rep?

And I'm trying to imagine how you'd ry out a helmet and failing. I'll have to try it, but I dunno, I always imagined that there were internal areas that water shouldn't get into, lest it never dry out. (I don't really know how helmets are made inside.)

10. julianmartin

You can normally take out the liner of a lid, I know you can on mine and I have a relatively cheap HJC.

11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Slowly and at it's own speed with the help of an airing cupboard but never use hair dryers etc etc.
    Granted it's not a five minute job and best left for the off season or before you go away on holibobs.

They went to pot after Ben sold it off and the new owners installed the worst forum software in the world, mass exodus of members in 2007, not been back for more than 60 seconds since.

12. RTT

RTT #parp

I just buy new visors every 2 years or so, but then one of my helmets was £420 and the other £280 :D

13. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

I'm just in the process of buying a new helmet as my current Lazer helmet is around 5 years old. Still, it's been pretty much faultless in that time and I've never had any real problems with it. The good thing about ordering the new version of my helmet is that it has a transition visor with pinlock as well, ~10 seconds from clear to dark in direct sunlight! Win win! :D Shame it's going to be between £300-400! :sigh:

Ps. I should mention the venting on Lazer helmets is incredible! Never once have I had a hot helmet! :cooldude:

14. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Morses in Weston-Super-Mare. Whilst I don't doubt their honesty, it's completely put me off buying a used bike from there.

15. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Do you not find that visors scratch to buggery really quickly?

I get scratches, dings and stone chips in mine very quickly - which in turn draws my eye when I'm riding and gets dangerous - I hate not being able to see 100% correctly - much better a new, crystal clear (iridium blue tinted) visor.

16. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

I've had the same visor on mine for 5 years and it's still totally fine! Either I'm really fortunate or your visors are bad! Or a bit of both! Though if you ride a lot more than I do then maybe that's why. :)

17. boiled_elephant

I commute 5 days a week and mine last a few years, but I think it depends on the roads in your area and how fast you're going. Had this helmet for over 3 years now and it's getting a bit too scratched to be ideal. I don't ride very fast or follow vehicles very closely, though.

To put cards on the table, my helmet was a Lazer Fibre Pro, £100 on a discount from about £150. I'd get something more expensive, but really, this one seems perfect, I can't fault it. It's got an anti-misting layer on the inside of the visor, which is a must; beyond that I don't find myself wanting extras.

If I was gonna get something more indulgent, I'd probably get a flip-up, just to be able to ride around with a cigar in my mouth in town for maximum troll factor.

The RAM likes this.
  18. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Doubt I ride more than you - 10,000 miles in three years :(

I suspect I might just be very picky when it comes to visor clarity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

+ REP for the cigar idea (despite the fact I don't smoke!). :D Also for being another Lazer helmet user. I'm looking at getting this one http://shop.lazerhelmets.com/catalog/product/view/id/36/s/falcon-pure-carbon-white-black/category/5/ as my next one. It's expensive, I know, but for protective gear I don't mind forking out a bit, and as I hate wearing glasses under my helmet the transition visor is very appealing, and I can't fault the rest of the helmet. It's basically the latest version of my last one, same venting and everything. Shame about the price though. I paid £180 5 years ago! Hooray for inflation and being a skint student...!:wallbash:

That is more than me, but not by much. I'm on about 7-8k in 3 years, though I find it hard to find the time to ride during term time and most of my mileage comes from the 600 mile round trips back up to Lancaster. They're fun...

20. RTT

RTT #parp

That sounds fun. Whats your general route? I do 300 miler round trips to south staffs quite a bit