1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Member

Where abouts in the UK are you EC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I'm actually in South Bucks ATM. there's a place in Wycombe I went to get my boots so I'll probably go there.

3. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Member

Aah, ok - pointless me recommending a mobile fitter in the Manchester area then.

Beware the big car tyre chains, most will do bike tyres, but they don't do them frequently, and don't tend to take care not to ding wheel rims. Just my experience.

4. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Active Member

Got a real serious issue with my hornet- wind on the throttle in first and it's like the killswitch is being repeatedly turned off and on, as shown in this video:

It only started happening the other day, after I did two things, first of which was sealing the small leak in the exhaust (Not very likely) or when I removed one of the bolts for the flyscreen. (Weird but could be)

Anything else I should look into?

5. The RAM

The RAM Member

Well scratch the flyscreen. It'll never be that. Just a bolt. I guess there's a small chance it could be the exhaust leak, but unlikely. Having suffered SV325 syndrome when I first got my bike it could be a number of things, namely fouled (old) plugs, loose HT lead, water in the spark plug hole, mucky fuel or dodgy pressure release valve on the fuel pump, the latter being my problem. Assuming it's fuel injected here.

If it was me, I'd check all of the above first, maybe with the exception of the fuel pump as that's much less likely on your newer bike. After that I'd head to your mechanic with the video evidence for him to have a look.

Remember, I'm no mechanic and I've a different bike to you! Just offering some pointers of where I would look if first if it were my bike. Might save you a little money before taking it to a garage. :)

*EDIT* Could even be a dodgy kill-switch! :thumb:

TheDodoKiller likes this.
  6. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Would the bike restart that consistently if it was the killswitch? I'm not sure.

What does the bike feel like when it happens - does it feel like it is bumpstarting when it comes back on?

My gut feeling is a whack ECU.

You could try cycling the killswitch when going along to see if it's the same behaviour. Something in my head says that's a dumb thing to do though.

7. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Weird that the Rev counter would do that as well.

8. julianmartin

Is that exactly same light arrangement as when you turn the ignition on? If not, it may be a specific error message that you can look at in the manual. My CBR has some pretty detailed codes from different lights flashing. I forgot to plug in an O2 sensor whilst changing my CCT, and the lights that flashed when I started her explained exactly what I had done.

9. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Active Member

Thanks for all the tips guys- however I've fixed it, and it was none of the above.

Loose battery terminals meant that when I accelerated hard they disconnected- then the jolt when the bike stopped accelerating meant that a connection was made again.

Pretty dumb in the end, but I'm kinda glad it was nothing serious- another thought was the sidestand kill switch, but that was a dead end.

But yeah bike fixed!

Because of the battery disconnecting, and the bike being all computerised and stuff, it's the same sort of thing that happens when you turn the key in the ignition- it's the self check.

10. julianmartin

That's hilarious. Glad you fixed it!

11. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Well-Known Member

For those who can't decide where to go touring next, look no further than Spain. I've settled into living in Gibraltar and head over the border on a regular basis for blasts around Spain's fantastic mountain roads. I wouldn't recommend riding in Gib though, the drivers and riders here are worse than the Spanish and Italian combined (yes, that bad).

[​IMG]

12. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Member

100% agree

On a different note, watch the opening titles of Andrew Marr on Sunday - when he comes into the office on a scooter - just as he comes into television centre, he rides over wet concrete flags - he loses the back end for a brief moment, rear steps out and his right foot comes out to try and save it. Saw it for the first time this morning.

Last edited: 7 Sep 2014
  13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Well-Known Member

14. The RAM

The RAM Member

Crap night for him! :thumb: Still, despite it being smelly, I can't think of much better to crash into really! Lucky fella!

15. mrlongbeard

16. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Member

Cotswolds? Looking North West?

17. mrlongbeard

18. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Member

Well, I'd argue I'm quite close - its the Malvern hills which gives it away - LHS of your picture - I just assumed you were on the other side of them.

Fab location - great biking country.

19. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

So I'm going back up to uni next week and the bike is staying at home. I'm not likely to use it over the Christmas holidays so that means it's probably going to be sitting for 4-6 months.

It lives in the garage anyway so no worries about covering it. Also I have a suspicion that the battery is on the way out so not too worried about that either.

Is there anything in particular I should be doing in preparation for storage?

20. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Well-Known Member

Brim the tank and add fuel stabiliser. Get both wheels off the ground with paddock stands.