1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Are you sure you got a CBR 250? :eyebrow:

2. Xir

Xir Modder

Well, a FI without power won't bump-start, you're right there.
    I have that problem on the aprilia, when the battery is low, it checks itself, I start, it has to push through compression (1000cc V2) current breaks down for a tenth of a second or so, the bike starts and then immediately shuts down as the ECU doesn't know what's happening.
    This means I can bump start it however, it just needs enough power for the ECU to run. :D

This is all not aided by the RST having a known flaw of a very low charging current. :grr:

Fan circuit...I was under the impression this is always on so it can keep cooling when parked hot?
    Mine always shuts off the fan after a few seconds though, probably timed.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

Huh,

test started all the motorbikes (well, all 2 ½ that is), and they all start and ride. :D
    That’s more than I usually manage in summer.

None have MOT and the moped isn’t insured though, always some downside. :grr:

4. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Just put a deposit down on one of these beauties. Delivery in April all going well, can't wait!

[​IMG]

5. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

well ive just gone and passed my mod 2 today, passed my mod 1 on monday and cant believe i got it all done. gotta give my instructors credit tho as in january i was all over the place on a 600cc bike practicing mod 1 exercises.

time to tidy my varadero 125 and put it up for sale.

6. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Can't believe no ones congratulated you yet!

Congratulations!

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Go, man, go!

[​IMG]

In other news, my CBR 250R's fan-stuck-on thing turned out to just be a corroded relay. Green oxidation had eaten into the contacts and...I dunno. Why this resulted in it being stuck on (as opposed to not working at all) is a mystery to me. Garage found it fairly promptly, so it was just 2hrs labour + parts.

It kind of irks me that two hours of their labour costs as much as I earn in three days, but that's how it goes.

8. RTT

RTT #parp

nice. some good stuff coming out of yamaha these days!

9. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

congrats dude.

10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

My bike has just passed its MOT so happy days. All i need now is to get the carbs cleaned and balanced because it is a bit "lumpy". Not touching it myself so a garage it is i think

Roll on the better weather

11. boiled_elephant

Because I'm bad at skim-reading thousand-page threads: has anyone here owned a Deauville, and if so, how are they?

I'm seriously considering one for my next bike. I like the idea of sports touring in relative comfort. My CBR is fun but not even slightly comfortable.

12. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

My Dad used to own one, it's also the first bike I went on the back of. Despite their dull exterior they're apparently quite fun to ride. Not the quickest bike in the world, but then that's not they're made for. I'd say it's more a tourer than a sports tourer though. Not a bad bike though, providing you're not looking for outright thrills in the looks or handling department. Very reliable too.

13. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

So, just got back from uni and been messing with the bike. Drained the float chambe and jumpstarted it with my car but it wouldn't start (and now the starter motor doesn't even try to run). Took off the fuel tank and the airbox and none of the lines seem clogged (In addition there seems to be a bit of an oil deposit in the carb.

14. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Haven't owned but I happened to look at them - definitely more of a tourer.

What about a VFR800? I loved mine, proper do it all bike and I regret selling mine.

15. boiled_elephant

They're sexy and glorious, but worse fuel economy and bags of power that I frankly won't need or use :/ I cruise at 85, I take corners at sensible speeds, I plod around and relax. I'm genuinely not very sporty, a VFR would be wasted on me.

I want a comfy bike with good weather protection that's reliable and doesn't guzzle fuel too badly. Sportier sports tourers are out due to uncomfortable posture and bad fuel economy, and all-out tourers like the big 1000cc+ bikes are out due to bad fuel economy and costing the same as a car. So it's the middle ground of 'baby tourers' like the Deauville and the Diversion for me.

The NC700/750 and Diversion are both disappointing for having no fairing and rubbish fairing, respectively. What's with the lack of fairing on otherwise nice bikes, anyway? I like not being slapped by the wind every second of the ride.

16. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I wouldn't say the Diversion had a rubbish fairing, just a rubbish screen. A big screen made all the difference on mine.

Big screen made it an excellent budget tourer!

[​IMG]

17. boiled_elephant

Ooh my negligence there, I didn't realise 2010-onwards had a fully faired version. That's actually rather well-suited...of course, inevitably, MCN panned it, because they review the timing of releases, the number of changes compared to last year's model, and their proximity to supersports bikes rather than the bike's objective quality.

I ****ing hate MCN. They give bikes like this three stars and bikes like the 1199 Paningale five stars. Because that's what real bikers want, right? A £20k crotch rocket that needs a service every 100 miles.

18. Xir

Xir Modder

Weeeeeel, that's what Ducatis are good at, when you sit on them, they just grow out of your pelvis like a huge big..... actually mine looks tiny when compared to other bikes :D

Anyway, can't really go wrong with the deauville for a medium sized tourer. :thumb:

19. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Might I point you in the direction of a review I did of mine a mere couple of weeks ago then... It might open your eyes as to the virtues of the XJ6.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  20. boiled_elephant

+rep, that was a great video, very succinct, articulate and informative. You have a very sincere and unaffected spoken style, unlike a lot of vloggers who fancy themselves as two-wheeled radio personalities in the making :p

The only sticking point in all of that info would be the short gears; I'm in love with the idea (never personally experienced) of being able to trundle along at 80mph in the lower-middle of the rev range, around 4500-5000rpm where the bike's really comfortable and vibration-free. I see short gear ratios - or missing and sorely missed 6th gears - mentioned as a complaint in many reviews of middleweight budget bikes, it's a shame.

Realistically, if you were covering long distance on motorways, how much discomfort and annoyance would the revs and vibrations cause you? Is it livable?

Last edited: 24 Mar 2015