1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Sine I'm on a bit of a roll here being able to render propper images of what I make here is a picture of the coilover unit/shock absorber from the bike.

[​IMG]

Independantly adjustable damping; for high and low speed bump and rebound, positional damping and preload adjusment.

Moriquendi

2. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

:eeek: you don't do this in your spare time, do you?

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Well-Known Member

In the position that I am thinking of learning how to drive a motorbike once I have my PhD finished (early next year).

Been drooling over the Yamaha XJ6. Gorgeous looking thing.

4. Moriquendi

Yup, it's just a hobby atm but I'm trying to turn it into a job.

Moriquendi

5. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Having attempted something similar in Solidworks 99plus (when it was newmind you) :hehe: I must say, you've got too much free frickin time! :D

or 3d cad has become a lot quicker over the last 10 years...but i doubt it

6. Moriquendi

I have a lot of experience so I'm pretty quick at modelling, I've been doing this for 14-15 years now.

Moriquendi

7. kovacs

kovacs New Member

Nice thread starter but you missed one vital requirement of riding a motorcycle.The ability to use common sense and not panic at the first sign of trouble.

[​IMG][/IMG]

8. RTT

RTT #parp

Nice blade, have always had a soft spot for those (that revision especially)!

9. RTT

RTT #parp

Got my first bug splat of the year today; winter is now truly behind us - roll on 6 months of two wheeled awesomeness! MotoGP starts this weekend too!

10. Moriquendi

I've had a couple recently too now that the weathers turned warmer. Also the roads have dried out properly for the first time, time to get rid of my chicken strips :rock:

Moriquendi

11. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Finally fixed my fuel line yesterday, of course today the weather turned to miserable :grr:

12. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

... in fact it turned to snow again....Aargh!

13. RTT

RTT #parp

MOTd for another year :D

14. Moriquendi

I thought your bike was under three years old so you didn't need one...

I'm getting a new front tyre on Thursday, managed to get an extra 500 miles out of the front compared to the rear. I also managed to have a really good ride for the first time in months yesterday with some proper dry, quiet roads, going to take a while to get used to how far I can lean the bike over now though.

Moriquendi

15. RTT

RTT #parp

It's an 06 so this is its 2nd MOT. I run the thing without baffles which blows out seals in the exhaust (= even morel loud :worried: ), but it passed anyway; presumably they dunno how loud/quiet it should be with baffles in the first place :D

My front tyre is due for replacement I think, it's more worn than I thought, plus it's worn more on the right than the left! I assumed it'd be most worn in the middle (kinda like what happens to the rear) but it's the sides! :eeek:

16. Moriquendi

Maybe you turn right more than you turn left... Either that or it's the camber of the road.

I recently replaced the stock air filter with a K&N filter and it's made more difference than I thought it would. Subjectively it feels like there's a bit more torque and it certainly runs up the revs quicker. I think it might be a little louder but the stock exhaust is pretty quiet to begin with.

Moriquendi

Edit: Tern =! Turn :blush:

Last edited: 16 Apr 2010
  17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Do normal bike tyres have variable compounds from hard in the centre to softer at the edges?

18. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

The expensive high quality tyres do, I know some of the Bridgestone Battlax tyres are dual compound, more commonly on the rear.

19. Moriquendi

Some do some don't, some have two or three discrete compounds from centre to edge. The Pilot Road 2s that I run have a hard compound in the centre of the rear with medium on the sides while the front has a medium centre and soft sides.

As Suriken says the multi compound tyres are more expensive but they should last longer as they wear more evenly. On a rear tyre you almost always wear the centre out before the sides so you have to replace it while there's still loads of tread on the sides, the harder centre compound wears slower reducing this effect and the fact that it gives less grip doesn't matter because it's only used when the bike is upright.

Moriquendi

20. aradreth

aradreth New Member

The exhaust part of the MOT is pretty subjective so it'll depend on the person doing the check.
    from http://www.motuk.co.uk/mcmanual_710.htm