1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Well-Known Member

I've been talking to my biker friends and parents and they're all more in favour of getting a newer bike than the CB500. The XJ6 in black is soooo tempting...

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

So, after some more poking around, my revised list, in descending order of preference:

1. Yamaha Diversion (good prices on these, and often sold second-hand with all the touring paraphernalia already attached. Good-looking for a smaller bike, too.)
    2. Kawasaki ER-5 (looks awesome, allegedly very comfortable)
    3. Honda CB500 (dull and plain, but cheap and indestructible)
    4. Suzuki Bandit 400/600 (expensive, lacking utility and comfort - totaly street, not even a visor)
    5. Suzuki GS500F (ugly, odd-looking posture, going off this one)

Suzuki are losing this one, I don't think I like them much.

3. EvilMerc

Did some Mod 2 training today; I forgot to put the winter liner in my jacket so I got cold. I couldn't dry out my glasses before I put my helmet on so I had two transparent surfaces covered in water to look through, suffice to say I was a little nervous pulling out of roads.

Improved a lot by the end though, though I'm sure the rain had something to do with me going slower than usual.

4. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Nice list with very correct comments :thumb:

5. boiled_elephant

I think it's supposed to :thumb:

I hate riding in the rain, more for the inconvenience and discomfort of being soaking wet than for the speed reduction. Even if you wear full gear (which I do), when you arrive at your destination you're still carrying around 20kg of wet biking gear, which is a pain in the arse. And putting wet gear back on to go home is the worst feeling in the world.

6. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Yup.
    Try spending your holidays on a bike in the rain. :grr: Happend to me more than once.

7. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod New Member

Seeing that Kawasaki ER-5 .. its like a naked version of the EX500 which are really comfortable to ride. The center of balance on those are really something else. It never feels top heavy like most other sport bikes do, which makes it easier to take around bends at low angles comfortably.

Try spending a winter with only a motorcycle for transportation :eyebrow:. Yes, I've ridden in blizzards, it's cold as hell :brrr: and I would wear 2 hoodies (one backwards to put over my neck/mouth). It actually worked really well and I saved a bunch of money on gas that year :D.... never again. :nono:

Last edited: 16 Apr 2011
  8. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Went to ride with a KTM 690SMC and a used DRZ400SM on friday.

690SMC is an amazing bike.. the hydraulic clutch and gearbox are bouth a joy to use.. the front brake bites hard, it caught me by surprise and I almost dropped the bike in a loose pebble road just outside of the store. I'm average tall, 1m84 and could not touch the road with bouth feet. I found the seat height to be too high for comfortable practical stop-go traffic and filtering. And because of this I didn't feel too confident on the bike at first.

Its big single cilinder engine is really brutal and delivers is power suddenly. Acceleration from a stop is just amazing, it will literally pull your arms out of your schoulders. This was my first ride on a single cilinder bike and I found it difficult to drive slowly in stop-go traffic. In 2th gear it would stall and in 1st the power was (probably because of a lack of experience) unexpected and sudden. I assume you can learn to master this better and I'm positive this engine with its torque will do powerwheelies in 1-3th gear without trying hard.

On any supermoto high speeds are hard because of the windblast, on the KTM this was no different, but at 80mph I stil had two gears left, so it will take you up to at least 110mph, I can only imagine how hard the windblast would be at that speed... It is an amazing bike, but for my needs and, let me be honest, for my experience this is too much of a bike. The powerdelivery is pretty brutal and this could get you into trouble, especially in busy slow moving trafic.

Next was the famous DRZ. After reading countless forum posts on this bike being very well build but underpowerd, I was feeling confident. When I went to sit on the bike for the first time, my confidence only grew, I could touch the ground with bouth feet and the seating was just perfect for me. You can see over regular cars and the bars are higher then there mirrors (filtering).

I took it for a few "laps" in a new dead-end street with fresh tarmac for some housing development, it had a lot of 90degree bends and no traffic, so perfect for the DRZ. Although it has a lot less power then the KTM, it still packed a reasonable puch of torque in the low rpms. I even surprised myself and pulled a tiny powerwheelie in 1st gear. I think you can easily get it up in 2th with the clutch and with some perfected technique and effort in third as well. After 15 minutes it was obvious that this is a perfect bike for any novice but you will also outgrow its power quickly. Many upgrades are available, but with the exception of a 3x3, jetkit and exhaust, they are too expensive and too much hassle for the powergains.

Still I think I will be on the look out for a good deal on a used DRZ. They are cheap to buy, cheap to insure, cheap to run, maintenance is cheap and far apart. Most riders drop there first bike, the DRZ can take a drop or two a lot better then any supersport or even a naked bike. It lacks power on top, but that is exactly where I don't want it. Any modern 4-cil naked (hornet, z750, sv, ...) will take you up to 100mph before you kwow it, and this could get you into trouble. The wind on a supermoto is always there to remind you how fast you are going, even without a speedo, and the DRZ lacks power for top speed.

Last edited: 16 Apr 2011
  9. wiby645

wiby645 Member

+1 for the drz. i had a drz 400 sm. was a brilliant bike around town and country roads :D cheap to buy/insure, easy to fix aswell.
    i love the looks of the KTM 690sm but havent had the chance to ride one yet, hopefully one day.

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Apr 2011
  10. EvilMerc

Spent the day on the back of my Dad's cruiser for the Martha Care ride out in Glastonbury, great fun! Spent the entire time at the front of the pack, something like 200+ bikes turned up; great fun and the noise at the start was awesome.

11. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

You win, I'm too old for that kind of fun :thumb:

DR-Z400SM, I went on a small holiday with a guy with one of these a few years back.
    He easily lost all of us on mountainous stretches...drifting wildly :D
    On the other hand, on fast straights and motorways, he was afraid he'd overrev.
    So good fr the backandbeyond, mountains and cities, not too good for long distances.

12. EvilMerc

I've got my restricted motorbike license! :D

Time to choose a bike, the truly tricky part.

13. Lovah

Bought a DRZ400SM today.
    2005 build year, first registered in 2006
    completely stock, except handguards were added
    6800km on it and it was serviced yearly (or every 1500km's)
    not a scratch on her, one of the few that hasn't been dropped (yet)

bought it for 3.250 euro, good deal?

cheers,

14. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Yep, that year and milage usually is ba little bit dearer (here in Germany), so good deal :thumb:
    Are prices in Belgium as inflated as in the NL?

15. Lovah

No, in the Netherlands there is a fixed motorbike-tax or something that makes bikes there more expensive in the Netherlands then in Belgium.

16. boiled_elephant

[​IMG]

This bike is looking seriously awesome. It's basically a baby tourer, everything from the posture to the accessories and the power. Yet you can get them second-hand for a bit more than a grand.

The only thing I hate about it is the name, though. Diversion? Really? That's not a cool bit of road systems. That's like calling it the Yamaha Speed Bump or the Kawasaki Toll Booth :sigh:

If it's got a name plate on the tank I'll chisel it off :dremel:

17. EvilMerc

It's between a white Diversion or a black XJ6-N for me.

Gaaaah, cannot decide! They're both gorgeous bikes but it's justifying the cost of the fairing against it's wind protection benefits.

18. wiby645

wiby645 Member

whats wrong with a sports 600? ive ridden my gixxer 600 on quite a few long haul drives. buy a decent tank bag and a set of decent strap on panniers and ull have enough space for your stuff, and the g/f's handbag collection.
    if i ever wanted a touring bike i would go for a hayabusa/blackbird.

edit: if you want a nice touring bike i would recomend a honda st 1100, brilliant bike allround

Last edited: 20 Apr 2011
  19. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

it does, it's painted over on the bike you sent. It's on the fairing above the front indicators, enlarge a little and you can see it.
    Is that the 600 or the 900 diversion in the picture?
    Looks like a 900 from the fairing, but I'd have to see the generator (other side) to tell you like this

20. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Think it's the 900, that is a serious touring bike. Nice