1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Any bikers here go on one of the MAG EU protest rides today?

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I think an appealing rule of thumb for filtering would be that it's only kosher when the traffic lanes are stationary.

I actually do the exact opposite of this, though, because as appealing as it is, it's wrong. People in stationary traffic are far more likely to open a door or lean out of a window; in slow moving traffic they don't. Then above a certain speed, the risk of cars merging on you climbs. It's a tightrope: there's a band of traffic speeds roughly between 5mph and 15mph where you can safely filter.

Like Sloth said, impossible to police by the book, but then the police could just use their discretion instead.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

Hmmm, i'm an avid biker, am on several biking forums and have two motorcycle magazines delivered to my house and I haven't even HEARED of a MAG EU ride :D
    So it probably wasn't EU wide, was it?

4. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I went on the ride yesterday. The one I was on was pretty appallingly organised and many bikers got split up from the group, myself included.

I have since read a bit more about it, and I have to say, MAG publicized this very poorly. A lot of the things people were "protesting" over are not even up for consideration in the UK, including the Dayglo suits. The 7 year old limits on bikes in urban areas actually are going to apply to any vehicle. The only thing in there that really applies was the modification of bikes with parts other than OEM. Obviously that is a REALLY important thing and IMO, all MAG needed to moan about to get bikers on board.

It was also woefully un advertised, we saw so many bikes and spoke to so many riders who had no clue what was going on. I think this may be a good thing though seeing as MAG pretty much resorted to propaganda....!

Still, a fun day out and I saw many many cool bikes. Some seriously sexy modified Aprilia RSVs were my fave. I forgot my camera though :(

5. Xir

Xir Modder

I've read up on it a bit, and now know why I've not heared of it.
    MAG would be FEMA europewide. But in Germany, they don't exist. The only ones assocoited with them are "biker union" (nice guys for partys, best avoided otherwise because they represent hardcore MC's) "Kuhle Wampe" (considered a hardcore MC themselves) and the "BVDM" who are the most "normal" of the lot but also consust of MC's for about 50%.

Don't get me wrong, I personally like MC's. I just don't think they're representative of "normal" motorcyclists. And I certainly don't think they convey a picture of "the suppressed motorcyclist" to the general public.
    (They wouldn't want that eiter) :D

Oh...what's day-glo?
    I did notice everybody and their dog in the UK wearing these bright-yellow whatsits VOLUNTARILY.

6. julianmartin

day-glo as in bright yellow whatsits. That's the point - they should be voluntary. But it's not even something that's being considered for the UK anyway so the point is moot.

7. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

There does seem to be a lot of confusion as to what is applied to the UK, regardless, we made our point: Don't meddle with the rules.

Also: :D

8. aradreth

aradreth What's a Dremel?

If you are level headed and take it slow it is perfectly possible to have a long biking career on L-plates.

However most people aren't and need a good few lessons.

WRT to the MAG ride out lack of bike forced me to miss it or I'd have gone.

And this is what people mean by a day-glo/high-vis vest :clap:
    [​IMG]

9. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

You recorded yourself riding at the front? :duh:

10. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Yeah, I know... I didn't realise I'd be right at the front, would have reversed my camera otherwise.

11. Xir

Xir Modder

Ah right.
    Yes, i've seen some dutchmen ride in those, and truckloads of british.
    The German biker-uniform seems to be black-on-black though :D
    There are some rainsuitsin this colour.

I disagree. As soon as it's compulsory somewhere and somebody thinks he sees a positive effect, it'l be over us like locusts.

12. julianmartin

I see your point Xir, I just don't like the way MAG explained everything. The majority of people on our ride genuinely thought dayglo suits was something coming to England which it is not, and for a lot, that's why they were there. The dayglo suits thing isn't even an EU ruling, it's a member country ruling - by Ireland and France basically. Their choice and not the EU.

The meddling with our modification rights is more than enough to get people out, and really should have been the salient point.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

...we already have no right to modify anything anymore here in Germany (not that that stops us) :hehe:
    EU-legislation is sometimes even relaxing strict German rules.

The EU is used as a scapegoat for the most ridiculous initiatives here as well, most stupid laws don't come from the EU, but are (stricter) national implementations of (laxer) EU-law (upon which the member states agreed anyway, only to complain about the "harsch EU" afterwards.) :grr:

Yes, the MAG aren't doing too well bringing their points across.

14. boiled_elephant

Does the high-vis law in France mean that foreigners riding there would have to buy and wear one too?

15. aradreth

Yes if you go to france you have to have a High-vis vest (that is my understanding at least).

If I remember correctly you need one in the car as well in case you break down.

Last edited: 27 Sep 2011
  16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

:read: They're talking about full-body high-vis for motorcycles only, not just a high-vis bib for if you break down.

17. aradreth

My fault for a poorly worded reply but it is late.

I was saying yes to high-vis on bikes if you are just visting but also pointing out you need one in the car as well.

18. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

A vest and a warning triangle plus a first aid kit etc, BY LAW.

19. boiled_elephant

Whoa, wait, the warning triangle/first aid kit crap doesn't apply to BIKERS as well, does it?

20. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

No I don't think so- but don't take my word for it, i don't ride bikes or know the french law!