1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycles!

Discussion in 'General' started by daguuy, 22 Jul 2008.

1. daguuy

daguuy I hate lolcats

I really want a motorcycle because they're fun and cheap to run. I'm a cheap-ass though so I won't spend more than $1000 on one. That limits me to mostly motorcycles from the 70's and 80's, most of them needing carb work. What kind of gas mileage should I expect from a carburated motorcycle like this? And I pretty much know how an engine/carburator works but how complicated would it be to remove a carb, clean it, and put it back on?

2. RTT

RTT #parp

Considering the engine is old and probably not running at its best, you might get 45-55 MPG (40-48 MPG in US gallons) out of that.

edit: vv or did you mean the amount of miles you'd get out of a tank? :confused:

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I can't really say for that particular bike, but I've had a few naturally aspirated Hondas. Ranges before reserve from memory:

Honda Rebel 125cc 1995 - 120 miles
    Honda CX500 1978 - 95/100 miles
    Honda CX650 1984 - 110 miles

I don't know about the carbs, but you can find a parts diagram here:
    http://www.powersportspro.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/7/Honda.aspx

4. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

I dont know about bikes, but I clean the carb on my car with the engine running and a can of carb cleaner...

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

You can get a new bike that's basically a Chineese-made clone of those older designs for under $1000. Might be worth looking into.

6. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

You'd be safer on a 35 year old European/American/Japanese made one though from everything I've been told.

7. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Sure, but you had better be able to fix it!

My partner at work is riding a 35 year old Triumph to Sturgis next month, which just goes to show that with work they can last.

8. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I would say you could be getting 50MPG for sure. Thats not a very big bike at all.

This spring I bought an '83 Honda V65 Magna 1100cc. Cost me $300 and I just had to replace a few things. Isnt running yet as havent had much time to work on it. Should be done within a few weeks from now and it should be getting around 40MPG or about 150miles on a tank of gas.

Its not very good gas mileage but I guess that is because it is an 1100cc engine with 110hp.

9. getzephyr

getzephyr New Member

I have cleaned the carb on my car with the engine running. I have not tried in bike, at present I'm using Honda CX500 1978 - 95/100 miles.

10. speedfreek

speedfreek New Member

If you buy a bike for under 2k you are going to end up paying twice is my experience. Get something that you know has been maintained and if you can fuel injected. I wished I wouldn't have gotten a bike for a "great deal" because it lasted me a whole year before I got sick of its problems, I went out and bought a newer fuel injected bike and haven't had a single problem with it yet in the 10k miles I put on it since I got it.

11. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

You should be able to get hold of something Japanese and mid-90s for that sort of money, surely?

That's what I'd go for. Reliability wise jap engines and gearboxes tend to be strong, as long as you look after the chain and tyres and change the oil every 5000 miles it'll go on for ever.

You should get from 40-60mpg from most mid-sized (500cc) bikes. A lot of it depends on how you ride. If you buy a sportsbike, you're obviously going to end up spending more on both petrol and tyres.

Speedfreak: I've had several bikes that cost me far less than $1000 (£500 in UK money) and I didn't have any problems with them. They were both early to mid 90's Honda's, and despite one of them having 20,000 miles on (which is a hell of a lot for a 125cc) it still ran perfectly.

Try not to buy anything that will need work straight away, but generally they're quite simple to take apart so anything that does need doing can be done yourself. It's very rewarding learning to fix your own bike!

Tags: